Stornoway & Benbecula Half Marathons

questions about events

3 messages
23/01/2013 at 11:03

Anyone out there done either of these? We are likely to be in The Western Isles in late May/early June so could do either one. Both sound equally interesting but any comments on scenery/friendliness/route would be welcomed.

Thanks

Bill

05/11/2013 at 18:03

Just in case anyone ever comes upon this thread and needs some information , I ended up doing the Stornoway Half and was still on the Isles for Benbecula.

Stornoway was a first class event with great organisation and a really welcoming Club at its heart. The race is roughly 50/50 on roads around the town and tracks around Lews Castle so not pb territory. The ceilidh and food at prizegiving are worth going up for though. There were ~150 runners, roughly twice as many as Benbecula where, I understand, marshalling was an issue. We travelled the whole length of the Isles - the Harris Half looked like a brute but Barra (Barrathon!) seemed like another good course with a bigger field and good scenery.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
05/11/2013 at 19:30
Bill Ferguson wrote (see)

Stornoway was a first class event with great organisation and a really welcoming Club at its heart. The race is roughly 50/50 on roads around the town and tracks around Lews Castle so not pb territory. 

Not even to get away from the midges?

Sounds like a good race. I will get to the islands one day......    

Edited: 05/11/2013 at 19:30

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.