Surrey Half Marathon

How much????

1 to 20 of 49 messages
24/11/2013 at 21:04
Disgraceful pricing at £35 yes £35 for a half marathon....
Great shame as I'm sure there will be plenty of demand. Don't understand how they can justify the price. Must be the most expensive HM around?
No mention of donating any of this money to local charities like Woking hospice ....
cougie    pirate
24/11/2013 at 21:34
Please feel free to organise a rival race and charge ??30 and sit back and watch the money roll in.

If its too pricey - there are plenty of other races around.
XX1
24/11/2013 at 22:20
Paul Patterson 5 wrote (see)
Disgraceful pricing at £35 yes £35 for a half marathon...  Must be the most expensive HM around? ...

So you haven't looked at Bath then 

XX1
24/11/2013 at 22:52
Its run by all about triathlons which is one of the best race organisers in the area and certainly not there to fleece us runners. You can expect a good level of organisation.

They do a number of other races for charities so would be surprised if the charities mentioned on their site don't get something.

Also closed roads in two towns won't come cheap.

You can vote with your feet and just not do it.
25/11/2013 at 08:04
Other half marathons are available........
Rafiki    pirate
25/11/2013 at 11:36

Not the most expensive - Reading Half at 36 quid - bargain!

25/11/2013 at 11:49
It's not cheap but it's not the most expensive by a long way. How about Run to the Beat, GNR, Bath etc. it says closed roads on their site so that much cost then quite a bit.
As mentioned, other races are available.
25/11/2013 at 12:17

Bath Half is £39!! but it sells out every year

25/11/2013 at 14:32

Looks good, I think I will enter as I have never been brave enough to run an inaugural event before. Anyone else in?

25/11/2013 at 14:43

I'm in, expecting it to be a good one!

I've done a few of their 10ks over the last few years and they've always been spot on with the organisation - you can tell they're runners themselves!

25/11/2013 at 18:31

From their website...

We have nominated three main charities including the Woking Mayor’s designated two: Woking Hospice and Parkinson’s UK, and Shooting Star CHASE.

Somebody didn't bother reading further than the price obviously.

Edited: 25/11/2013 at 18:32
28/11/2013 at 21:49

I'm sorting out the events official measurement and have been up and down the course many times over the past few months. The roads are just so busy the organizer needs to employ an outside company to sort out all the road closures, diversions, cones to split the out and back and have enough personal to police the course. This all costs and there is a risk involved if they don't get enough runners taking part. This is a small part of their costs as well, port a loos, road closure orders fees, start and finish equipment etc. I can see why they have an entry fee that high.

BTW the course is a good un for all you road runners out there. PB potential! It's not pancake flat but not too many rises.  

01/12/2013 at 20:39

I'm in, partly because it's fairly local and a good pre-London half and partly because I've run in a number of races that the AAT guys have organised and have never been disappointed.

29/12/2013 at 17:20

If you were on the AAT mailing list then there was an early bird invitation to enter at a discount which was a bit under £30 I think.  Long term investment which I took advantage of.  Also unfortunately too close to Tunbridge Wells Half to run both, which is a long term favourite of mine.  AAT events have always been good races bur road halves are a new venture for them but it looks good.  Only poor point is the course being out and back, but understandable if you need to close roads.  

22/01/2014 at 16:21

I"m the Event Manager. Thanks for all the support. Our entry fee is justified by our £165k costs. The Surrey Half is going to be a great event for runners and the local community - bands on route, money raised for local charities, local scouts helping with bag storage, TIMEX pace team, flat (ish) route, kids races, we're developing a free app for real time results, great sponsors, great route with Tom's help, £8k prize pot, warm up from the local athletics club, 7,000 runners.

Join us for the inaugural event - hopefully the Surrey Half will just get bigger and bigger!

29/01/2014 at 16:35

I just hope it doesn't get any longer, Becky.

01/02/2014 at 23:29

I'm booked in for this race. I can see the route on the Surrey 1/2 website but does anyone locally know whether it is flat, undulating etc?

02/02/2014 at 17:29

Here you are: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/344758326

Edited: sorry just realised it doesn't show the elevation!  

Edited: 02/02/2014 at 17:30
02/02/2014 at 19:32

I've only run the Woking end of it but driven Woking / Guildford and back more times than I care to remember.  I'd say undulating, its certainly not flat but no real hills to worry about despite a few of the road names having 'hill' in them!

I keep thinking I should run it one evening but I can't remember whether those roads have footpaths and street lighting and don't really want to run it in the dark without!

03/02/2014 at 09:29

Phil - Blanchards Hill and New Lane don't have pavement, so it might be worth making your recce an early morning run. Becky

1 to 20 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.