Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Anyone for this one then?

261 to 277 of 277 messages
21/02/2005 at 15:15
Your right rawrunner gps would have lost a bit going up and down the cliffs and zig zag....never thought of that at the time. Mine read 12.9 so I rekon the couse was pretty close to, if not 13.1 miles.

Jelly babies rule!
21/02/2005 at 17:24
Does it really matter if it is a bit short, plenty of races I have done in the past have been short or over especailly the off road ones.

Its different if it is a championship race of course or is advertised as accurate. Lets face it if Sara hadn't made the unconfirmed statement no one would have taken any notice.

21/02/2005 at 17:44
dips - thanks for the heads up about the roadworks on the prom - wasn't aware of that...........

and those pesky tourists/locals crossing your path are a pain but you get used to that if you do Brighton events!!

was approaching the Hove lagoon yesterday and some mum crossed in front of us runners with 2 kids in tow plus them with bikes........mum crossed OK but the kids naturally were slower and dragging bikes......we all had to do a sudden screech to a halt and the language was rather florid to say the least..........
21/02/2005 at 17:51
Hummm I nearly had a run in with a dog on one of those extending leads, the owner had it on free range! I don't think those pesky promanaders realise what mayhem they can cause. Its a shame they could not ban them for the morning!

Rumour has it that next year SB would like the course to go around the Town more, which would include road closures. Might be interesting!
21/02/2005 at 18:05
might be impossible!
21/02/2005 at 18:48
Nothing is impossible FB!!!
21/02/2005 at 18:53
Jose - no that wasn't me, I was wearing a cap rather than a wooly hat.

21/02/2005 at 19:22
I was pleased to run a PB especially after panicking when I realised I'd left my carbo gel and jelly babies in my bag ! I was also happy to have paper cups at the first water station - much easier to drink from than plastic ones. The only other half I've done is Barns Green, which I would say is slightly better organised and better supported, although that may have had something to do with the weather ! The wind was freezing at the top of the cliffs, but I think we should be grateful for the bit of shelter we got on the lower promenade on the way to Hove. Excellent marshalling, shame the bloke on the microphone at the finish couldn't generate a bit more excitement ! (or am I being a bit harsh ?!)
21/02/2005 at 22:21
No Matty...he sounded bored!
21/02/2005 at 23:32
has anyone checked the photo people yet-I keep getting a strange domain not recognised when I type in www.sportscam.net. have I got the right URL?
22/02/2005 at 07:59
Photos will by up on Wednesday. Think you might find you have an extra S in there though! www.sportcam.net

There is a link to them on the Sussex Beacon site if you continue to have problems.
22/02/2005 at 09:39
The photos are up already - try http://www.sportcam.net/site3/public/search.php?location=Sussex%20Beacon%20Half
22/02/2005 at 20:32
Hi all

I've checked with the organisers and with AAA and although it has not been certified, apparently it is 'pretty accurate' - it has not been certified because due to the proportion of grass it needs to be reclassified as multiterrain and therefore not poss to certify within the rules.

However, lots of people report short distances on their GPSs.

Cheers
Sara
11/03/2005 at 11:14
Sussex Beacon Half was measured by a certified course measurer, and confirmed as a Half Marathon by South of England Athletic Association, permit number 5062, multi-terrain.
GPS systems, as I understand it, have an error degree of 2%.
thanks to everyone for making it a great day!
31/03/2005 at 19:22
i had a great day despite almost missing the start due to traffic into brighton and trying to park. a good course nice sunny day and plenty of water and i saw every mile marker apart from 8. i got my text through about 2 hours after race which i thought was a nice touch. i knocked 20 mins off my pb so well chuffed even if it was a tad short, 1st 1/2 that i was really well prepared for and didn't have ridiculous hills, (dartford & eastbourne)will definitely be back next year with a couple of friends in tow.
16/04/2005 at 00:57
Hey paul

I agree - good course, lovely day, the chip timing worked flawlessly and I will be in it next time for sure. Who cares if it was a few metres short or long? I measure my PBs to the nearest 10 seconds anyway!

This was only my second half-marathon (after the Great North Run last year) and I had a great time. Lovely people, nice route, good organisation, cool water... just wish the local radio station had actually broadcast some of the stuff they were doing at the start.
19/01/2006 at 13:49
Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 19th February in Brighton, you can enter online at www.sussexbeacon.org.uk right up until 4pm on the 17th February. Good luck to you in your training and fitness.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
261 to 277 of 277 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.