Sussex Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 61 messages
26/02/2013 at 17:06
WiB wrote (see)

Good stuff... Enjoy it 

Well hope you come along. The more the merrier. I can't wait for it. I have been waiting for it, from about an hour after i did my half at Sussex last year. Its a tough race, but its small, its not corporate, it is a great one to say you have done.

WiB
26/02/2013 at 19:10
I have entered the marathon and mailed them about the 30 mile option. More than happy to do the marathon though
WiB
26/02/2013 at 19:19

we'll have to have ways to identify each other at the start!

27/02/2013 at 08:13
mathschick wrote (see)

we'll have to have ways to identify each other at the start!

Well i will be wearing a Camelbak which has the words 'Keep on truckin' on the back, and i have a long tattoo down my right arm.

27/02/2013 at 08:27

I have blonde hair which will be up in a ponytail, don't know what I will be wearing yet though, if it is nice weather I may wear my pirate top

WiB
05/03/2013 at 13:56

Just over 4 weeks...

WiB
05/03/2013 at 19:16
WiB wrote (see)

Just over 4 weeks...

Yep! Can't wait. Up to 19 miles in my training, but as the miles have been getting higher, so have the aches, and i am trying to walk that line still between being fit and being injured. Not helped by having a job where i am on my feet all day.

WiB
05/03/2013 at 22:11
Good work! Better to be well rested than overtrained or injured. Sounds like you are timing your build up well.
WiB
07/03/2013 at 18:43

I think with timing, i will just be happy to do it under 4 hours. My mission is simple. Keep on running, even on the hill parts, just never stop, and go from there. I am going to start off slow, 8 minute mile it and go from there. I am sure we all have our own techniques.

WiB
08/03/2013 at 07:11

Mine is just run and have fun 

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 14:45
WiB
09/03/2013 at 14:15

Well i went out this morning with the intention of doing 20 miles, but i got to 19.5, was really feeling light headed, although my legs were okay. I hadnt filled my camelbak to the brim, so ran short of fluids. Made mental note to take Dextrose tablets with me next time.

This is the thing. It is better to learn from your mistakes now, rather than have a bad race day. Its like little things. Keeping the pace no quicker than 8 minute miling, since my body cant deal with that distance at any quicker time.

Mixing my water in my camel with Zero tablets etc.

Sussex is going to be hard, but i dont regret entering it. Race day is always different. Crossing over the finishing line after all the training is what its all about.

WiB
11/03/2013 at 11:25

Sounds smart GR. Sometimes you have to train hard, other times you have to be sensible and not leave your hardest effort in a training run when it should be used in the race.

You wont miss those 0.5 miles but have learned a lesson that will help on the day

WiB
12/03/2013 at 19:15

If you check out the new Running free magazine, March 2013, issue 52, there is some really good tips about the month before a Marathon. Hence i am doing my last really long run this Friday.

It will be good to see you there WiB. Hope your training is going well.

WiB
13/03/2013 at 09:36

It is going ok GR. Long run this Fri morning followed by a stag do over the weekend which isn't ideal really! Then I am running the Endurancelife Coastal Trail race on March 23 followed by a couple of weeks setting up for Sussex Marathon.

WiB
13/03/2013 at 11:09
WiB wrote (see)

It is going ok GR. Long run this Fri morning followed by a stag do over the weekend which isn't ideal really! Then I am running the Endurancelife Coastal Trail race on March 23 followed by a couple of weeks setting up for Sussex Marathon.

Well dont over do it, but i have seen some people who can do all that, and still out run most people. I am going into detox phase in about a weeks time. For all the good it will do.

I did a hilly 7 this morning, and all i could think was, crap, whats it going to feel like at mile 25, if this is how i feel at mile 6 ha ha...

23/03/2013 at 09:41

Well two weeks to go before race day, and can't wait. I did a 20 miler the other day round where i live and isnt flat, but nothing will quite prepare me for the hills that wait me at Heathfield. I have looked at the general feedback about this race, and its generally positive. To do a sub 4 hour is my goal. To do that for this race is an achievement. Its going to take more than endurance though, its going to take will power beyond belief.

WiB
23/03/2013 at 20:06

Good work GR. Sounds like your hard work is done and its nearly time to wind down and start resting hard of the big day  

I have just come back from running the EnduranceLife CTS race and a couple of slight aches but seem to have survived ok. Lots of mud, plenty of wind, lots of slipping, the odd fall. All part and parcel I guess

WiB
24/03/2013 at 10:45
WiB wrote (see)

Good work GR. Sounds like your hard work is done and its nearly time to wind down and start resting hard of the big day  

I have just come back from running the EnduranceLife CTS race and a couple of slight aches but seem to have survived ok. Lots of mud, plenty of wind, lots of slipping, the odd fall. All part and parcel I guess

Well good training for the race ahead, and suspect you will do very well. Tapering off a bit now, but guy who finished first last year did the race under 3 hours. Amazing. Endurance beyond belief. All i think about at the moment is my race. Its going to be weird when its over.

30/03/2013 at 16:11

Well just over 7 days left to this one. I will be the guy with the camelbak, that say 'Keep on truckin' on the back. Its my homage to a graphic cartoonist i like, and is my attitude to running, just to keep on truckin, keep on going sort of thing.

On one level, just to complete this mother of a race is going to be reward alone, but a sub 4 would be even better.

WiB
02/04/2013 at 09:12

5 days away now. Had a mail from them over the weekend. I was tempted to do the 30 mile option but they are just tagging on a 2 mile out and back after the finish and that won't be much fun at all so will be sticking with the marathon distance.

Don't live too far away so will pop down and register the evening before.

WiB
21 to 40 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.