Sussex Marathon 2013

41 to 60 of 61 messages
02/04/2013 at 09:35
Might see you all there (not running) going to volunteer to help at the water stations etc. Did this last year that last hill is a killer the second time around but I well organised race.
WiB
03/04/2013 at 16:08

Nice one Lingster. I always have fun volunteering at events. Look forward to hitting the hills

WiB
03/04/2013 at 21:28

WiB, I was thinking about the 30 too, but I think I am going to be so bloody cold going past 26.2 might not appeal. Might register for it anyway and see how I feel.

WiB
03/04/2013 at 22:16

I was just put off by tagging on the out and back part. Also its so close to 50k I think that would have been a better distance to use.

The marathon will be plenty

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 14:09
WiB
06/04/2013 at 09:27

Hi have just found this thread! I will be doing the 30 miler the weather doesn't look too bad - well its not due to rain or snow which is always a plus!

06/04/2013 at 09:54

Just going to do the full marathon. 26.2 miles is enough for me, considering its my first. I hope all the training has paid off, but who knows what i will be like on the day. I cant wait for it though. I remember when it was 4 weeks away etc. Well to those who are coming i will be wearing my camelbak like i have said so say hi. 'Keep on truckin'

06/04/2013 at 19:00

got my number - it is 441 so say hi if you see me wish I was up to doing the full marathon, or even running the whole of the half, but I will treat it as a bit of fun with snacks and drinks on the way round and a medal at the end

07/04/2013 at 16:58

ghostrider - nice to meet you, hope you got on ok. 

07/04/2013 at 17:15
mathschick wrote (see)

ghostrider - nice to meet you, hope you got on ok. 

It was lovely to meet you too. I was looking out for your race number. I did it in 3.55.07, and am truly aching right now. I wasnt out of breath the whole time but i realised i should have done some more leg training. It was a tough race though. Some of the hills.. second time around, well it helped to power walk them.. so did a lot of people though...

Hope you did okay, i know it wasnt about times for yourself, but about taking part, and i hope you enjoyed yourself. I looked out for you on my second lap...

07/04/2013 at 17:23

well done, that is a fantastic time. I did 3:15, not that much slower than when I ran it last year a couple of the marshals asked me if I was ok as I was walking. I saw the first few males in - they were around the 3 hour mark, I was expecting far mare people to lap me so it was nice that just 2 or 3 people did. It was mentally tough walking rather than running, really wanted to run, but don't want to set myself back in terms of my knee as I have other events that are more important coming up this year! 

WiB
08/04/2013 at 08:53

A fun day out, enjoyed the course. Much better than a flat one! Love the uphill finish too Well organised I think overall.

Mathschick - I may have seen you I think, possibly ran past with the guy on a bike with about 3 miles to go?

WiB
08/04/2013 at 09:06

wib - that was probably me - were you the winner then? t-shirt and calf guards? didn't look like you had almost finished a marathon?

WiB
08/04/2013 at 09:26

Yes I did but I was wearing vest and arm warmers, no calf guards.

WiB
08/04/2013 at 17:03

well done argh, sorry about muddling the calf guards/arm warmers, just remember you looking really strong

my son was admiring the winners' prizes when I went to register on Saturday, and said I would get the water bottle of pity!

08/04/2013 at 17:32

I was slightly beaten that i had to walk some of it. Well in the last couple. Having never done a marathon it was certainly a learning curve. Pleased i did under 4 hours though which was my aim. at the half marathon point, i was looking at a time 3.45, but i lost ten minutes due to the severe pain in my legs and back.

08/04/2013 at 17:49

ghostrider - hope you are recovered and not too sore today!it is tough marathon for a first one, next one you do, you'll have the experience of yesterday to help you and so long as you don't choose something crazy like Beachy Head you are bound to be quicker!

08/04/2013 at 20:32

ha ha.. i had thought about Beachy Head. I am already signed up for the Midsummer Munro half marathon over Box Hill, Dorking, Surrey. The hardest half marathon in the country. Did it last year. After that, undecided. Watch this space.

WiB
08/04/2013 at 20:41

No worries Glad you had a good day out though.

GR - How about 3 Forts? first weekend in May? Make the most of that fitness gained training for this one Good job at the weekend.

WiB
09/04/2013 at 09:40
WiB wrote (see)

No worries Glad you had a good day out though.

GR - How about 3 Forts? first weekend in May? Make the most of that fitness gained training for this one Good job at the weekend.

I am a two year veteran of three forts ha ha.. I did it in 2011, in what was 85 degree heat, and sufferred bad dehydration. I came back last year with a vengence, and knocked 8 minutes off my time, and didnt walk any of the half, which was my aim. I feel i have laid that race to rest as it were..

Whats next for you?

WiB
09/04/2013 at 10:01

Fair enough. I am running the Highland Fling in Scotland and then onto 3 Forts Not run it before.

WiB
41 to 60 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.