Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

37,461 to 37,480 of 39,291 messages
16/01/2013 at 14:46

" Morning all! Icy wind out today. Minimum 14 hour day in work today, looks like it'll be a 10pm run tonight. " good luck Kev. It is hard when you work long hours. You should opt in to the working time directive though. Or would that not go down well ?

16/01/2013 at 17:49
Just left Swindon now! Unfortunately Alex I need to 'go where the work is'. Hope it's not icy tonight or there's my run gone.
16/01/2013 at 21:26

Evening all

TRacey - take care.  Hope you feel better soon.

RK - do you travel around alot or are you based in Swindon?  Hope you get a run in.

Bit nippy out tonight.

16/01/2013 at 21:50

Get a bike and a turbo trainer Kev. Its not as mind numbing as a dreadmill. Or a rower, money spent on a Concept 2 will be well spent.

17/01/2013 at 07:29

Morning all

Have a good one all

seren nos    pirate
17/01/2013 at 07:32

alex..................a turbo is just as mind blowingly numb as a treadmill.............really starting to worry that i might have to do my long bike this weekend on one........can't stand it......can just about cope with shorter one.......wondering of there might be a chance this morning to sneak in the bike ride once the snow stops

don't mind running in snow but cycling is another matter

17/01/2013 at 12:55
Hi all. Missed my run in the end. Got back at 8.00pm to snow showers! Lilly's birthday today so will run tomorrow now (working fom home).

NR I am based in Cardiff, but cover Bristol Office as well and our Regional Office is in Swindon so yes lots of travel.

WA - a bike and a turbo may be the way forward.
17/01/2013 at 13:06

Afternoon all

Miserable for you Tracey - wrap up and wait it out - siege mentality

I have a Concept 2 - can heartily recommend it... trouble is mine is currently buried in the barn!

I don't actually know anyone who has benefited from the working time directive - first time I encountered it was years ago in research when HR presented me with a form to sign waiving my claim to it - on the grounds that research by nature requires anti social hours. However, that didn't mean a requirement for long hours, although HR never understood that - no problem if you needed to be in at 4am and again at 11pm - so long as you were also in the hours in between especially when management were also in! End of the day, sign the waiver or look for another post.

As we know self employed you work as you can / as you need to; the bank doesn't have any respect for working time directives when it comes to mortgage payments! As for farm animals - nobody tell them about it; they whinge enough as it is!

17/01/2013 at 21:20
As you say Boffin not much choice in the matter.
17/01/2013 at 21:35

Evening all

Grass is always greener on the other side....

Wintry out there.  Stay warm all

17/01/2013 at 22:35

Yes, basically the trouble with the WTD is that if your employer is not public sector you have not got a hope and even if it is things could be difficult if you insist on sticking to it.

Have been panic buying Yoghurts

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
18/01/2013 at 05:38

morning

Trust the weather forecast to be right!!! No gym for me this morning, I'm waiting till daylight before I drive.

Re the working time directive, I was under the impression that it was implimented to stop the exploitation of workers. We had a situation last year where we couldn't employ someone for an 18 hour job because her other part time job would have put her 2 hours outside the WTD, I would have thought that if it was her choice she could have done it. 

I wonder how many people will make it into work today!

18/01/2013 at 07:43

Morning all

Stay safe and at home.  The weather seems to be getting worse.

18/01/2013 at 08:26

Morning

Snow here - not thick enough to stop Sweetie getting to work though.... she just about made it downstairs to her office

Schools closed so no need to go anywhere in a car which is a fortunate position to be in... however having said that, the amount of snow we have is not exactly impressive - I was led to beleive we would be a foot deep in the stuff today! - As well we aren't as the sheep are not much taller than that!!

seren nos    pirate
18/01/2013 at 08:27

M4 by bridgend blocked in both directions............even the trains aren't running with us .......

seren nos    pirate
18/01/2013 at 08:28

Hope nione of your have exams today tracey.... neither of mine have until next week

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
18/01/2013 at 08:28

have to go in I'm afraid, or at least try. I've had three staff cancel already, I know there are loads of others won't get there, but the mway looks driveable at the minute

18/01/2013 at 10:22

Exams are finished for us till summer I believe Seren, hope it's all sorted for yours by next week.

It's melting fast here, although the wind is still quite scary. I decided against going in even though the school is open so a day's pay lost. Didn't fancy taking the car up and then down the hill near my house and I wasn't going to cycle or run!

18/01/2013 at 17:14
Hi ll. luckily I was working from home today.

How is the virus Tracey?

Might try a run in the morning?
seren nos    pirate
18/01/2013 at 17:48

tracey.........hubby didn't get in today.first time in years.even the trains had stopped this morning after he had waited an hour on the platform.......he can take a days holiday.i'm just glad that i'm not sat here worried all day about him driving home as i have in the past.............

2 hours run in the snow was lovely this morning.only managed 9 miles but it was great to be out

no more exams here until tuesday

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.