Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

37,601 to 37,620 of 39,287 messages
02/02/2013 at 09:30

Alex - we are going with the kids! BUT I do appreciate that travelling with a 17 year old and a 13 year old is a different story from travelling with two little ones like yours. I remember it well and although I loved those years and had a lot of fun, I can't say I'm sorry they're over! 

On another subject - 'Sospan', the restaurant in Llanelli - is it worth the money? I've heard three different mentions of it this week, all good, and we have a family birthday coming up.

02/02/2013 at 11:48
Hi Tracey. We live opposite Sospan and visit regularly. The food is fab and decor lovely. I think the service could improve though. Highly recommended. Heidi is going there for lunch today.

Lovely day! Did my run just before 8 as the sun was rising and the half moon was still out. It was a fresh 1.5degrees. It was a really nice start to to the day.

Then went to Jenkins for tea and toast with my Mother who was in town booking her Summer holiday.

Watching rugby today and then cooking a nice meal for the kids and I as Heidi is out.
02/02/2013 at 12:35

" I can't say I'm sorry they're over! " - I said to Andrea last nigtht as the two boys were rioting at 9pm, "There are people out there who love all this"

02/02/2013 at 14:09
WA - we had a 13 yr old, 3 9 yr olds and a 7 year old sleeping last night and they were rioting at 3.30am! Yes, there are people out here who love all this!
seren nos    pirate
02/02/2013 at 14:22

some ways its easier when they are older........... but eldest didn't come home last night and didn't think to text...............

Alex....... i needed my sleep......and still do...I had to have mine in bed by 7 at that age or I would not have been able to function....i needed those 2 hours peace and quiet before I went to bed at 9..........

but them we did have them up 6:30 am every morning including holidays and weekends,.....so i guess you have to choose which end of the day you can cope with them better

02/02/2013 at 20:05

My kids go to sleep at (usually) 10 to 10:30 and get up at 7 to 7:30. They are very active and fairly badly behaved probably because I have not invested any time in parenting technique.

I can't take them anywhere and get them to sit down and behave. Daniel is not accustomed to the word 'no' although I am teaching him the hard way (by ignoring half hour long tantrums when he can't have his own way). The mornings are a battle just to get their clothes on even and since its me doing it at least 5 mornings of the week it usually takes me an hour to recover from the trauma after I have dropped them off at school and nursery. I then work 12 hours (less an hour run and less lunch) and come home to bedlam and screaming. I look after them 7 nights of the week so my sleep is shit and somehow I appear to be the parent of 'choice' so they leave Andrea alone and harass me if I am in. Its really great. I would recommend it to anyone.

Moreover as I appear to be the par

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 20:12
seren nos    pirate
02/02/2013 at 20:10

reality is never like the cornflakes commercials isn't it............

because of my need to sleep we made bed time our priority....with the eldest we had to take it in turns to sit outside his bedroom door and send him back to bed when he tried to come down.we were over a year spending an hour to an hour and a half each night until he got the idea..........second child took just 2 nights to get the idea........they are all so different......

i often used to go up and find terry asleep on the landing whilst he was door guarding 

seemed like it went on for ever but it didn't in the end.....i think its the tiredness that makes everything harder......

people kept on telling me wait until they are teenagers and they won't be up at 6:30 every morning............but now at 16 tomororow he is still out of bed 6:30 on the dot every morning

02/02/2013 at 20:18

Evening all

I can only sympathise as I have no children of my own.  I know my brother, sister and I were very different.  My brother and sister would stay in bed till mid day whereas I would be up at the break of dawn. Children have their own personalities and its easier sometimes after work and life in general just to give in to their needs.

Sounds like you had a good day RK.

Enjoy the family meal, Tracey.  Hope the kitchen is good. 

Lovely day today.  Swam 500m this morning and 15 mile run this evening. 

02/02/2013 at 20:28
Doesn't sound a bed of roses WA! Hopefully there are some compensations along the way?

You've had a busy day NR.
02/02/2013 at 20:31

"reality is never like the cornflakes commercials isn't it............" No, and the thing is I always knew it would be the sort of hell that it is. Even on Sun & Mon whilst I get a hand to dress them I still have to ship them off to grandparents (if they are going up there) / school. I can't even start on the hell that is trying to feed them.

"Lovely day today.  Swam 500m this morning and 15 mile run this evening" - Lucky you !

02/02/2013 at 20:41

" Doesn't sound a bed of roses WA! Hopefully there are some compensations along the way? " - People keep telling me it gets easier and I really can't wait !

02/02/2013 at 21:50

WA - I am sorry if that sounded awful.  I meant the weather when I said 'lovely day'. 

Doing a cross country run in Kenfig tomorrow but really don't feel like it.  I have to be with family early afternoon and it will all be a bit of a rush.... Haven't seen family in a while so if I am late due to racing, it won't go down well....

02/02/2013 at 22:01

Family eh ? Will you get a row if you are late ? Remind me again how old you are ? Strewth !

And no problem even if both the weather and your day were lovely Nutty. I am jealous in a pleasant way.

02/02/2013 at 22:02

If a late arrival doesn't go down well try doing what Adam did to his mother the other day Nutty, Drop your trousers, bend over, slap your cheeks rhythmically and give them the brown eye. That'll shock em. I guarantee it !

(See what I mean about behavioural problems ?)

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 22:03
03/02/2013 at 07:39
Morning all Thanks WA.  My heart isn't really set on doing the race today but I will go as I am taking a friend and bringing her back to Swansea.  Just have to get through the shower pretty quick and shoot up the Valleys. Kids, don't you love them?  No inhibitions.  After the heated telephone conversation with my  mother last night, I feel like doing the same!! Have a good one all.
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 08:43
03/02/2013 at 08:52

Morning

No, infact Morning

*cough*

seren nos    pirate
03/02/2013 at 08:55

WA......I hope you clear this cold soon.......not nice when it hangs around

just been out for a 4 mile run....clears the legs ready for a lot of eating.fiull cooked breakfast now and a all you can eat meal out this afternoon with food from several continents......am i the only one that has to try a plateful of everything......

I tell myself i will be good but i always manage tyo have about 7 plates of dinner and about 5 of dessert

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
03/02/2013 at 09:30

morning

hope you don't get toooo wet out there guys.

I'm all ready for my LSR, but it's wet and bliddy cold out there. The rain is due to stop around lunchtime, so I'll do the ironing first then venture out.

Alex, it's tough times at the moment, but you will look back on these days with fondness - or at the very least with a wry smile (especially when the offsprings offspring are doing the payback ), your children are still very young with energy and intelligence (a challenging combination at this age). However, once they get to a stage where they can channel all that energy and insatiable curiosity for the world around them, they will settle. 

My eldest was a real challenge to me, both when very young and as a teenager. Now he is is mature, responsible person who has proved himself to be determined and focussed.He is a great parent, a hard worker and I'm very very proud of him. 

seren nos    pirate
03/02/2013 at 09:46

My hardest stage was when they were excluded from school for 6 or 12 months........meant didn't get a break form them............so as long as your boys are happy and behaving in school Alex.i'm sure they will settle in time

sue wasn't too bad here......have a good run.your are running well at the momnet......

hope its a good race NR.....sometimes when you aren't looking forward to something you enjoy it the most

03/02/2013 at 10:56

Alex - it will all be worth it in the end. Your kids have their parents' intelligence and energy, so no surprise they are challenging. One day soon you will share a joke or listen to them playing an instrument or solving some complex maths problem. Suddenly you see the person they will be and you start to like them as people. It's still not the most common state of affairs in my family but it happens more and more, and it makes me very happy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.