Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

37,881 to 37,900 of 39,541 messages
23/03/2013 at 11:32

Morning

We have 19 ewes, 1 ewe lamb and three rams Tracey, so only a tiny flock by comercial standards. No sheep dog, just the family and well feed-bucket trained sheep! I usually just have to walk into their field to get mobbed by them!

That's a lot on Seren, I don't know where you find the time and energy! Good going though

23/03/2013 at 20:14

Evening all

Seren - it must be difficult.  Bit of luck I don't have a marathon to train for now and can just go with the flow.  Hope you can get some decent training done soon.

Boffin - sounds like enough to cope with. 

Look forward to pie fest.  Can you make it Seren?

Glad you are back running after your injury Tracey.

23/03/2013 at 21:41

It's actually been 6 months since I recovered Nutty! Famous last words of course, but my foot is as good as gold these days...

Why did I say that? What a fool!

Why only one ewe-lamb Boff? Was she too small for market last year? Or did she flutter her eye lashes at you and persuade you not to turn her into burgers?

24/03/2013 at 11:09

Morning

The ewe lamb is this year's lamb - she is only three days old! Our lamb tally now stands at two; a ram lamb in the barn at 20 past midnight - missed that one being born. I inspected an hour earlier and all was quiet - sneaky ewe. Not much of a problem as the ewe was obviously fine, but then the issue becomes working out which ewe is the mum when the whole flock is in there licking the lamb dry!!

Don't go tempting fate now Tracey!

Mmmmm pie

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
24/03/2013 at 13:16

Afternoon!

Just back from walking the dogs on the beach - it's Baltic out there, I'm so glad I did my LSR yesterday!

Lambing is a lovely time of the year - it puts me in mind of bright daffodils, blue skies and the grass greening up ready for summer.

It may be cold out and parts of the country are steeped in winter weather, but the daffs are bravely facing it out and I notice that the May trees are beginning to blossom. Do they know something we don't or are they as hopeful as we are of some warm springlike weather soon?

seren nos    pirate
24/03/2013 at 13:20

san dom was cancelled so i did the last cross country instead..........

Boffin surely the lambs mother would be the one that no longer looks pregnant

24/03/2013 at 14:59

Could you tell among all that wool though Seren? They won't have been sheared yet and that fleece would hide a multitude of sins...

Hey, now there's an idea! Note to self - see if you can buy sheep fleece clothes to hide in!

24/03/2013 at 21:04

Evening all

I was thinking today how I love April and May with the bluebells and wild garlic  out.  I noticed the daffodils braving it too.  Good to appreciate the life around us sometimes.

Glad you did your LSR yesterday Sue.  Not many left for you now

Boffin - sneaky ewe.  Whatever next?!

Seren - funny time of year.  Too cold to race. 

Tracey - you have lost loads of weight.  No need for sheep fleece clothes.

Short week in work

25/03/2013 at 07:18

Morning all

Here we go again .  Blue skies, fab.

25/03/2013 at 10:39

Morning

I agree Nutty; this is a special time of year - all the new growth popping up after bleak winter months. I find the trees exciting; they seem to be bare and all of a sudden there is greenery abound!

If only it were that easy Seren! - on first glance there is not that much difference before and after lambing in terms of size. Palpating the stomach gives an indication of emptiness if you had a hunch which ewe was responsible - but they could just be carrying a small lamb. A really messy rear end is the clearest indication!

It is crucial that the lamb is mothered up as in these temperatures the lamb will soon perish if left alone. With the more experienced ewes they are fine on their own, and will fend off unwanted attention from the other in-lamb ewes (who can be a real pain!). The biggest worry is first time lambers (of which we have six) - these ewes may not know what is happening and have been reported to wander off and leave lambs behind - expecially the case if there is a crush of interest in the new lamb from other ewes.

All adds to the spice of life

seren nos    pirate
25/03/2013 at 20:46

thinking about it boffin..I still looked pregnant for a while after giving birth.......

a few weeks ago when out running we noticed placentas on the field and some really young lambs.....3 of them were being kept warm by their mothers..and one was just on its own bleating....we walked instead of ran through the field and eventually a sheep went up to it before wandering off.the lamb was so young it could hardly move and the ewe didn't give it any time to feed..

25/03/2013 at 22:24

Evening all

NAture can be beautiful and hard at the same time.  Not every female of the species makes a good mother even though they can give birth.

Bit cold out there tonight.  Easter looks as if it will be nice

26/03/2013 at 12:57

Morning

Sheep are also incredibly dumb! Seems they are intent on either getting stuck in the smallest amount of bramble or thinking up new ways to die! To be fair to the sheep, it is hardly their fault as we have selectively bred them for so many generations that they are so far removed from an evolved animal it is no wonder they need so much human intervention.

I feel for the sheep flocks in the North which many farmers have not been able to get to due to the snow.

Chilly but not got snow problems on that scale, so thankful for that.

26/03/2013 at 21:08

Evening all

Glad you have escaped the snow Boffin.  As you say, some further up the country are really suffering with the cold and snow.

Can you make it to the Pie Fest on 27 April, Boffin?

seren nos    pirate
26/03/2013 at 21:17

eveening.

leaving for the caravan in 3 or 4 hours...cycling down like last year but it looks a bit colder.nos da

27/03/2013 at 07:23

Morning all

Enjoy the break Seren.  Wrap up warm

27/03/2013 at 07:51

Blimey, and I thought I had it hard with having to watch 20 presentations today!

27/03/2013 at 21:36

Evening all

Work sounds as if its going well Tracey!  Do you get much of a break over Easter?

Lovely to have the dry weather even though its cold.  Clocks go forward on the weekend so the nights will be even lighter.

27/03/2013 at 21:41

Sat through 20 student presentations but very glad I made the decision to sit through one more -

Mark Abrahams, the bloke who invented the Ig Nobel prizes was speaking at the Science Cafe. He was brilliant, as is his organisation:

http://www.improbable.com/ig/

27/03/2013 at 21:59

Tracey - I get emails in work and thought the Science Cafe sounded interesting. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.