Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,321 to 38,340 of 39,432 messages
25/06/2013 at 13:22

Cheers Tracey, thanks for the advice. Enjoy your run this afternoon the weather seems quite nice out there at the moment!  And fingers crossed that your run goes well for you later.  I will be out trying that hill route this evening, will let you know how it goes.

Thank you Nutty, how did that 8 miler go then?

25/06/2013 at 20:52

Evening all

Good going Simon - nice to mix up your running with a few hills thrown in - main thing is to enjoy yourself and not worry overly about pace etc... you will find your own pace soon enough - before you know it you will be doing 100mile cycles

That was still some feat and a half Tracey!

The weather has turned out unexpectedly fine and caught me on the hop as it were... lots of my neighbours have cut fields for haylidge, got me to thinking. I have taken the gamble and cut just the one field for hay - I am still traditional hay bailing, not these modern plastic wrapped round bales, so I need the hay to be properly dry before baling and storing - or else it will either rot or spontaneously combust and take my barn with it! - First sit down of the day

I would post a picture, but RW doesn't seem to like me posting pictures any more?

26/06/2013 at 07:31

Morning all

Its all go down on the farm Boffin.

Simon - I enjoyed my run thanks.  Hope your running continues to improve. 

Looks like its going to be another lovely day so enjoy

26/06/2013 at 09:20

Good morning all,

Thanks Nutty, glad to hear the run went well.

And yes the weather does look to be better now, lets hope it stays like this! It varies so much though from one week to the next you never really know what its going to be like. I guess that makes knowing when to cut your hay a real nightmare Boffin, with weather so temperamental it must make the timing almost impossible to be 100% sure?

I did a 5km run last night with that 1km hill climb. I really enjoyed it to be honest. I think there was some small of sense of achievement when I got to the Derwen Fawr mini-roundabout knowing that although I kept a decent pace going up I felt fine and could have done it again I am sure, and then at the top I turned left. Next week I will be turning right and heading up to Gower Road I think, to make the hill section a bit longer.  Slightly aching today so guess muscles were used that dont normally get worked as I rarely ache the next day any more, so will take that as a good thing.

Just my usual dog walk tonight. Have fun everyone, hope you can enjoy this nicer weather!

26/06/2013 at 09:53

Morning

Certainly is all go Nutty - that's what makes it worthwhile! Can never predict 100% Simon, just have to give it a go on a best guess sometimes! Certainly not ideal weather by a long shot - but when the hay stocks are at zero, I'll take a small gamble to get a cut in. Think I might be pushing it though as showers are forecast for tomorrow with the odd chance of a shower today - hay needs a good 4 days before baling.... Hmmm!

Well done on that hill run Simon, best bit is you enjoyed it

26/06/2013 at 21:17

Evening all

Lovely day today.  Been on a course in Sketty Hall.  Delightful setting.

Your running is going from strength to strength Simon. 

27/06/2013 at 08:22

Morning all

Where's Alex these days?

27/06/2013 at 10:02

Morning

Won't be as nice today - even rain forecast for the afternoon - drat!

27/06/2013 at 11:32

Morning everyone.

Weather so far so good, but I've also heard that it is changing.

A run for me tonight and would prefer it if it was dry, but maybe that is too much to ask for in June!  May end up doing that exact same hill run route again as Tuesday I think? Was originally planning to do 8k on the prom at my 10k pace, but I think I wouldn't mind getting that hill into the run once again.  The long gradual decline and then a couple of km's flat after the hill did make it a nice run overall.

Hope you all have a good day

27/06/2013 at 21:01

Evening all

Alex hangs around on Facebook these days doesn't he?  Don't use it myself.

Boffin - it has been a bit of a grey day.  Was lovely first thing.

SH - hope you had a good run.

I swam this evening. 

28/06/2013 at 09:23

Morning

We swam here too last night Nutty!! Good job I don't gamble with money!

On the running front - after a tentative 10 minutes run walk on the treadmill a couple of months ago, I have actually started training again! One heck of a shock to start from the very beginning again, but I have had two half hour treadmill sessions three days apart and my once broken back does seem to be accepting the running

Ahh, the DOMS walking down stairs - bizarrely a nice feeling!

Might be having a bash at the last Swansea 5k yet? - Would be good to do the Pudding Run at the end of the year; I do enjoy the utter madness of that run.

28/06/2013 at 12:00

Good morning everyone.

Great news Boffin, thats genuinely impressive fair play.  Good luck with the recovery, sounds like it is going exceptionally well already!

Last Swansea 5k?  So is that part of the bigger 10k event in September?  Pudding Run?  What are all these events then!?

5k run for me last night, exactly the same as Tuesday (that nice hill route up past Singleton hospital).  Went well again, bit wetter this time but wasn't too bad to be fair. Just a long dog walk tonight, then my long slow run tomorrow or Sunday.

Long week in work, just glad its friday!  Enjoy your weekend everyone

28/06/2013 at 20:59

Evening all

Great news that you are running again Boffin.  Sadly, there are only two races in the Swansea series now and the final one was earlier in June.  We could just have a pie fest!!

Simon - great running again.  Enjoy your weekend.

29/06/2013 at 09:37

Morning

Looks like I am behind the times with local races then... do tell me the Pudding Run is still running (pun intended!).

There used to be three races in the Swansea 5k series Simon - looks like just the two now! The Pudding Run is a 10k 'cross country race' - it's actually just a bit of silliness disguised as a race! It is in Bridgend in December and starts at the foot of Merthyr Mawr - reputedly the tallest sand dune in Europe? (don't know where I got that fact from, probably Phil!). You run up this dune as best you can only to stop at the top due to a bottleneck of runners trying to get through a single file path through gorse bushes!! - so if you are daft enough to want a time, you have to sprint up the dune to avoid the wait at the top - most are happy to wait and have a chat and breather! You then do a fairly normal run ending by running through the course of a stream - and you get a Christmas Pudding to finish!

Pie fest looks like a nice alternative Nutty

29/06/2013 at 20:07

Evening all

Boffin - the Pudding Run still takes place.  Crazy race....  Pie fest sounds good.  Did you want to come to Swansea again?  You are all welcome at mine again.

Lovely day today.  Swam this morning and a short run this evening.  Did some gardening too.  No peace for the wicked!!

seren nos    pirate
29/06/2013 at 20:11

pudding run is one of my favourites............

I was in swansea today for the open day...............looking at all the wonderful plans for the new second campus......

I think we might be onto our winner already for youngest son.........i know he hasn't had his GCSE results yet but we have to plan early with him

29/06/2013 at 20:16

Seren - I saw all the parents with their children wandering towards the uni earlier.  its a lovely place to study and the University scores well in Student Satisfaction Surveys.  What subject does your son want to study?  Good luck.

Pudding run is always a good social

30/06/2013 at 09:07

Morning

Mmmmmm Pie

Always gardening to do here Nutty if you feel the need...

No harm in planning ahead Seren - not a bad idea to plant the seed of thought into their heads, plus it gives them some context of what can follow A levels.

Bit cloudy here today - hope it blows over soon.

30/06/2013 at 12:06
Morning all!   Oh yes I did notice that the older 5k events used to have 3 races now you mention it. You can see the numbers of entries have dropped over the years so I guess they decided to go to just the two.   That pudding run sounds a bit mental, massive sand dune, ouch! Sounds like a laugh though I suppose!   I did my LSR last night, another lesson in getting my pace right. Went out much too fast again and really felt it by the 12km finish. Wanted to be closer to 8min per km, but struggled to get down to 6mins per km. Last couple of km I was absolutely ruined and my slowest km where I felt that I was crawling over the line was still 7:37. I'm supposed to be doing 14km on my LSR next week and I really think I won't do it unless I get my pace much slower. All a big learning experience and you certainly can learn from your mistakes.   I've been reading a bit about paces and types of runs and I would say my long runs have been more like 'threshold' runs, got to get them slower! (This is something I never thought I would have a problem with!)   Have a good day everyone.
30/06/2013 at 20:52

Evening all

Boffin - you have seen my garden!! It was a bit grey here today too.

Simon - slowing your pace down and going further can be hard.  Try joining a running club?

Swam and ran today.   Lets hope things will be okay tomorrow..............

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.