Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,321 to 38,340 of 39,456 messages
28/06/2013 at 09:23

Morning

We swam here too last night Nutty!! Good job I don't gamble with money!

On the running front - after a tentative 10 minutes run walk on the treadmill a couple of months ago, I have actually started training again! One heck of a shock to start from the very beginning again, but I have had two half hour treadmill sessions three days apart and my once broken back does seem to be accepting the running

Ahh, the DOMS walking down stairs - bizarrely a nice feeling!

Might be having a bash at the last Swansea 5k yet? - Would be good to do the Pudding Run at the end of the year; I do enjoy the utter madness of that run.

28/06/2013 at 12:00

Good morning everyone.

Great news Boffin, thats genuinely impressive fair play.  Good luck with the recovery, sounds like it is going exceptionally well already!

Last Swansea 5k?  So is that part of the bigger 10k event in September?  Pudding Run?  What are all these events then!?

5k run for me last night, exactly the same as Tuesday (that nice hill route up past Singleton hospital).  Went well again, bit wetter this time but wasn't too bad to be fair. Just a long dog walk tonight, then my long slow run tomorrow or Sunday.

Long week in work, just glad its friday!  Enjoy your weekend everyone

28/06/2013 at 20:59

Evening all

Great news that you are running again Boffin.  Sadly, there are only two races in the Swansea series now and the final one was earlier in June.  We could just have a pie fest!!

Simon - great running again.  Enjoy your weekend.

29/06/2013 at 09:37

Morning

Looks like I am behind the times with local races then... do tell me the Pudding Run is still running (pun intended!).

There used to be three races in the Swansea 5k series Simon - looks like just the two now! The Pudding Run is a 10k 'cross country race' - it's actually just a bit of silliness disguised as a race! It is in Bridgend in December and starts at the foot of Merthyr Mawr - reputedly the tallest sand dune in Europe? (don't know where I got that fact from, probably Phil!). You run up this dune as best you can only to stop at the top due to a bottleneck of runners trying to get through a single file path through gorse bushes!! - so if you are daft enough to want a time, you have to sprint up the dune to avoid the wait at the top - most are happy to wait and have a chat and breather! You then do a fairly normal run ending by running through the course of a stream - and you get a Christmas Pudding to finish!

Pie fest looks like a nice alternative Nutty

29/06/2013 at 20:07

Evening all

Boffin - the Pudding Run still takes place.  Crazy race....  Pie fest sounds good.  Did you want to come to Swansea again?  You are all welcome at mine again.

Lovely day today.  Swam this morning and a short run this evening.  Did some gardening too.  No peace for the wicked!!

seren nos    pirate
29/06/2013 at 20:11

pudding run is one of my favourites............

I was in swansea today for the open day...............looking at all the wonderful plans for the new second campus......

I think we might be onto our winner already for youngest son.........i know he hasn't had his GCSE results yet but we have to plan early with him

29/06/2013 at 20:16

Seren - I saw all the parents with their children wandering towards the uni earlier.  its a lovely place to study and the University scores well in Student Satisfaction Surveys.  What subject does your son want to study?  Good luck.

Pudding run is always a good social

30/06/2013 at 09:07

Morning

Mmmmmm Pie

Always gardening to do here Nutty if you feel the need...

No harm in planning ahead Seren - not a bad idea to plant the seed of thought into their heads, plus it gives them some context of what can follow A levels.

Bit cloudy here today - hope it blows over soon.

30/06/2013 at 12:06
Morning all!   Oh yes I did notice that the older 5k events used to have 3 races now you mention it. You can see the numbers of entries have dropped over the years so I guess they decided to go to just the two.   That pudding run sounds a bit mental, massive sand dune, ouch! Sounds like a laugh though I suppose!   I did my LSR last night, another lesson in getting my pace right. Went out much too fast again and really felt it by the 12km finish. Wanted to be closer to 8min per km, but struggled to get down to 6mins per km. Last couple of km I was absolutely ruined and my slowest km where I felt that I was crawling over the line was still 7:37. I'm supposed to be doing 14km on my LSR next week and I really think I won't do it unless I get my pace much slower. All a big learning experience and you certainly can learn from your mistakes.   I've been reading a bit about paces and types of runs and I would say my long runs have been more like 'threshold' runs, got to get them slower! (This is something I never thought I would have a problem with!)   Have a good day everyone.
30/06/2013 at 20:52

Evening all

Boffin - you have seen my garden!! It was a bit grey here today too.

Simon - slowing your pace down and going further can be hard.  Try joining a running club?

Swam and ran today.   Lets hope things will be okay tomorrow..............

01/07/2013 at 08:07

Morning

Cycled down to Scurlage yesterday. Had lunch in the cafe there and was served by the rudest person in Wales. It would have been funny if it hadn't also been expensive and execrable. Still, lesson learnt, shan't go there again.

Pity poor me, I have to go out for dinner three times this week and am struggling to refuse any of them! Better get a swim in later...

seren nos    pirate
01/07/2013 at 08:19

I had a lovely bike ride yesterday and will rest now for the Outlaw next sunday......hopeing to have a brilliant bike leg there even if the swim and run will be crap.......

Nutty.He wants to do aerospace engineering.....I like the idea of a campus university for him as he still cannotcross the road safely and doesn't go out on his own....even has a taxi to school and back and so hopefully a campus uni will make  life a bit easier for him to cope with.........and the new engineering facilities there will be amazing 

01/07/2013 at 09:57

Morning

'execrable' - never hear this word before, figured the meaning more from context but felt obliged to look it up! - Extremely bad or unpleasant - Fantastic! I now have a new word to describe many of my regular chores!! Sweetie likes it too - might become a household word - good to know I can still learn something new, thanks Tracey

Sounds like a campus uni is a better option Seren - at least you don't need to negotiate traffic etc between lectures.

01/07/2013 at 21:52

Evening all

Tracey - there seem to be a lot of places where good manners and food are not on the menu.  Enjoy your outings.

Seren - sounds great.   Worth travelling to Swansea for the open day and its not a million miles from homee.

Boffin - never too old to learn something.  I love words too.  Adding up is great too

Any way, lovely evening. Hope you all enjoyed.

01/07/2013 at 23:44

I was like that with 'uxorious'. It's a few years now but I still remember the little rush of joy when I looked it up and discovered that it had been used in exactly the right way by the person I got it from.

Tonight I learnt that good company and a nice bottle of wine almost make up for the greasy, tasteless, cholesterol fest which passes for the menu in Bloomburger. Not doing terribly well this week and out again tomorrow, oh dear...

02/07/2013 at 08:28

Morning all  can't wait to use 'uxorious' and 'execrable' just to annoy my father in-law who is a crossword nut so will hate it if he doesn't know them

I haven't run for 10 days now with my sore calf  it came out in a very pale yellow bruise the day after my last run and was very sore that evening.

I've been reading horror stories about recurring calf strains so I'm reluctant to run on it too soon  I've got no pain now walking and I've felt no pain running after the dogs a couple of times but its still slightly sore if I poke it hard enough

I've pulled out of Tenby Marathon and transfered my entry to the 1/2 but I'm not sure  I run on my toes so I do put a lot of strain on my calf muscles and Tenby 1/2 is really hilly  

On a brighter note it does look like our house sale is going through and they want to complete by the 19th of this month, whoo hoo

02/07/2013 at 12:27

Afternoon

Jones, might I suggest you refrain from poking your calf then? How long after the original injury was the run which resulted in pale yellow bruising the next day? Good news your house sale is going through

Gosh, another word for me Tracey - careful now, my little brain might explode! Not sure that submissive and devoted are the same trait in a person?

Early days yet, but I am tempted to claim I am running again... half hour on the treadmill last night was all with a 'running gait', no major issues from the back - just expected reluctance from untrained legs etc.

The Pudding Run is looking ever more likely Nutty

02/07/2013 at 13:54

Well done on the running Boffin  I can't help poking my calf, just did it again between typing 'did' and 'it'  I was a bit silly as it started to hurt about 1 mile into a run but didn't get any worse until it became quite painful in the last 2 miles.

I rested it a day and it felt pretty good so I foolishly went for a run  it wasn't sore but I could feel it wasn't quite right and after 8 miles it started getting gradually worse until I had to stop and walk at 10 miles   

The day after that it came up in a bruise and I haven't run since

p.s signing house contracts on Thursday morning, whoo hoo

02/07/2013 at 20:27

Evening all

Jones - sorry to hear about your injury.  Good luck with house move.  its been a stressful time for you so hopefully you can relax soon and get back to running. Listen to your body and get some massage is possible.

Great news about your running Boffin. 

Nothing beats good company Tracey. Enjoy

03/07/2013 at 10:34

Morning

Good to hear your house sale is progressing nicely Jones - I assume you have a new home to move too, so all the joys of removals... do remember which box the kettle and biscuits are in!

One move we did, we thought we were being organised and had a Tesco delivery on moving day to the new house - unfortunately the biscuits for the removal men was on the delivery... never seen a Tesco man almost mugged for his shopping before!! - Good way to please your new neighbours as well - a large removal van and a Tesco van at the same time blocking the road!!

Good weather forecast for the weekend and into the next week - so another field on the cards for baling... lugging bales around counts as cross training I am sure

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.