Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,381 to 38,400 of 39,429 messages
10/07/2013 at 08:16

Morning all  had to pull out of Tenby Marathon as I haven't run at all  calf isn't hurting at the moment but just isn't worth the risk. Mrs Jones is still doing it so I'll take a bike and have an explore

Hope this house sale goes smoothly as we've thrown out or given away most of our furniture  house looks really strange empty with everything packed into boxes  finding it hard to resist building a fort out of cardboard boxes

10/07/2013 at 08:17

August. Should be fine for September.

seren nos    pirate
10/07/2013 at 09:53

Hi all

i should be around for the 17th......

i was at the outlaw ironman over the weekend.....It was my a race...........

my bike was the same old averagly slow so ok......I loved the bike as I don't normally cycle on falt roads.....and so did a brilliant leg.......and still felt strong for the run.......but started the run and the heat just killed me ........I get hot in snow in winter....I couldn't handle the sun......decided after 15 miles to stop ven trying to run and walked the rest in with a friend and managed to avoid the collapsing that many around me were reduced to.......

still managed a PB but my run split was longer than my bike split

but still should be fine for Tenby in september...going down for the sportive on saturday so wave if you see me Jones

10/07/2013 at 10:07

Good morning everyone.

Well done Seren, very good getting a PB in those conditons where even just fnishing sounds like a decent enough result!

Sorry to hear you have pulled out of Tenby Jones. Injury aside it does look like it is going to be extremely tough with the weather like this. Good luck to your wife, a camelback could well be needed!

Just over 7km for me last night, with about 2km of uphill to start with (up past signleton hospital), at 6:03 mins per km. Enjoyable run as I had left it quite late and didnt start until around 21:30pm to avoid the heat, but cant see me going again that late as the wife walks the dog on the beach while I run & she wasnt too happy going that late so may have to comprimise a bit next time.

10/07/2013 at 11:03

Morning

Life is all about compromise Simon, maybe try an early morning run whilst it is hot? Likely have to be very early though to allow time for work etc - maybe your wife wouldn't like that either? Perhaps the best compromise would be to walk the dog with your wife all kitted out for your run, then run after walking the dog?

No compromise on pies though Mmmmmmmmmm pie

Still haven't braved making a salad pie though - some things just don't belong in pastry! ... could make an empty pie case then fill it with salad - that would be a scary thing to slice into!!!

Was a warm one to be out Seren - well done.

Tracey, make the French eat pie! Mmmmmmmm Pie

Hay is in - Hoorah - pictures will be up on Facebook in a day or so (have to remember to bring the camera in from the tractor!)

Nothing in my calendar for the 17th Nutty, although not spoken to the boss... is the Mother in Law's birthday weekend though - so possible we may be busy...

10/07/2013 at 14:24

Afternoon Boffin. I still cant get myself out early enough for a run before work, though I have been considering it. The problem with your suggestion about walking the dog and then running after is that the wife would be sitting in the car for an hour or so waiting for me as she doesnt drive. The 8:30am run I did Sunday feels about as early as I can function for a run so I think running before work is out of the question really as I'm not a morning person at all!  Went a bit later last night and it seemed wrong really, not just for the wife with her walking the dog on the beach when it was getting dark, but just felt too late to me. Think I will go out about 8pm Thursday, so it shouldn't be too bad then, and wont be quite as late as last night. Thats the comprimise I'm looking for really I think.

Just a nice dog walk for me tonight, I go without the wife on days between running as she doesnt like my walking pace. Dog walking has always been as much for me as it is for the dog, it is what got me into running to start with and I still really enjoy taking him out on my non running evenings.

Glad to hear you have got the hay sorted too, we have finally got a decent break in the wet weather.

10/07/2013 at 21:08

Evening all

Jones - look after your calf and there will be other marathons. Good luck to Mrs Jones.  Hope the house move goes smoothly.

Seren - well done on your race.

Simon - your running is going well.  Compromise is good.  running is great but have to keep the peace too.

Shall we try Sept 7 then?  Can everyone make that date?

Very warm today.  Shuffled around the cycle path again where its a bit cooler. Went for a walk after my tea.  Too nice to stay in.

Good news about the hay Boffin.

seren nos    pirate
10/07/2013 at 21:12

I'll be at Ironman wales the weekend of the 7th Sept.but don't organiose it around me.organise it around the majority

11/07/2013 at 07:00

Morning all

Seems as if there is something going on for everyone most weekends.  Life is very busy. 

Does anyone fancy getting together after Swansea 10k?  If not, I think we will be looking at October

11/07/2013 at 22:05

Evening all

Another lovely day.  I am not getting notifications again. Anyone else having problems?

11/07/2013 at 23:15

Can't believe this endless week still hasn't ended! Never mind, half day tomorrow. Didn't run tonight which is very unusual for me on a Thursday. Just couldn't face being too hot again.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
12/07/2013 at 07:31

morning

strangely Tracey, when I woke up this morning I thought how fast the week has gone!

Yes Nutty, I'm having problems, this site is getting worse.  I can't see 'my bookmarks' and have to go all over the place to see the threads I post on. RW deny there is an issue!

I think, in regard to the get together, it may be the thing just to set a date and go with it, or it will not happen. There is probably not a date in the calender that everyone can go with.  The 17th August is likely to be difficult for me as it is one of the (many) grandchildrens' birthday. 

It seemed marginally cooler yesterday, or it may have been my imagination. I did get a longish stroll on the beach in the evening with the 3 year old grandson. He has so much energy that when I'm childminding it's much easier to let him have lots of space he can run around in. (No, it doesn't wear him out!). 

seren nos    pirate
12/07/2013 at 10:22

morning all.......

there is a lady new to the forums just posted i tri that she is doing the cymer tri and is nervous that it will be full of fast triathletes.......

I said it was a freindly one.didn't a few on here do it before..if so maybe you could reassure her of what to expect

12/07/2013 at 12:01

Morning - just by three minutes if I'm quick!!

You go for it Simon - got to keep the peace as Nutty says

Mmmmm Pie - set the date and they will come!

Not had notifications for a verrrrrry long time - given up bothering about it! - I just bookmark this thread and then have to jump to the latest post - easy enough for me as I only bother posting on this thread these days.

Interesting view on week length perspective there - not sure where I fit in on the week length spectrum?

12/07/2013 at 12:01

Drat - missed the morning by one minute!!!

12/07/2013 at 22:02

Evening all

Another lovely day.

Seren - I have supported Cymer Tri several times.  Its a great event catering for everyone.  There is a children's tri, a try -a-tri and then a longer tri.  Sue has completed it several times too.

17th August seems to be out.  24th is bank holiday, I am around, anyone else? The following weekend is the Roman Run.  I am hoping to do that one so if everyone else is free then, have a pie fest but I won't be there as the race starts at 12 in Brecon.  I know Michelle can't make that date as its her birthday. 

At least its the weekend

13/07/2013 at 09:07

Morning

24th August is a good day for pie... Mmmmmmmm pie

Hot day today... so many things I have still not got sorted - a couple of years ago I dug a well for the veg patch - we have drained it watering the veggies!! There must be thousands of gallons of water come past us here, but I am saving only a tiny fraction of it.... need a lorry load of water butts!!

13/07/2013 at 15:10

24th August is good for us.

Too hot for gardening or plane watching. Off for a swim I think...

13/07/2013 at 21:56

Evening all

Great about 24 August. 

It was very hot today.  I watched planes from back garden for 10 mins.  Swam this morning.  Little run this evening but too warm for much.  Next year, I suggest we make this weekend a pie gathering.  No crowds just pie!

Boffin - after such a wet summer seems crazy to run out of water but the ground dries up so quickly with all this heat.  A field of water butts maybe?

13/07/2013 at 23:30

Evening

I am fine for a get together whenever.

Jones, sorry about the Mara, but good luck to Helen. Take care in the heat, it is far too hot for it. A few years back they stopped the Paris Mara due to the temp !

Oh, yes, Steve, and thanks too for the advice about bike bits the other day. Very handy. Have upgraded bits on bike to centaur groupset. Am very impressed with the shifting and the way campag not only drops down but drops or rises one cog at a time all the time is superb. My ultegra groupset on my felt is far more random.

Was going to run today but took kids to air show and this eve it was far too hot even at 7. Cycled 15 miles instead.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.