Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,541 to 38,560 of 39,423 messages
16/08/2013 at 22:14

I like Eurostar, such a nice way to travel.

17/08/2013 at 10:38

Morning

Have fun in Paris Tracey

Forecast looks doubtful today Sue, although to be fair it is still fine here with me... for the moment!

Christmas ought to be banned - commercial rubbish.... Foodmas and Goodfriendsmas on the other hand...

Didn't know you walked anywhere Nutty - figured you would be running if on your feet?

Only got the cattle and the Ewes done yesterday - cattle didn't take too long, more of a patient waiting game with them trying to coax them into the crush. Those blooming sheep on the other hand... they did not want to be penned! Penned all but one - who was then a royal pain trying to catch - not easy getting hold of a solitary sheep, much easier handling a flock. Then of those we did pen, one escaped and so didn't get wormed - idiot! (She was an adult ewe, not a lamb, so wasn't getting vaccinated this time) I could have rounded them all up again to get the escapee, but it is not worth the extra stress to the majority - she will just have to be wormed when I round them next month.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
17/08/2013 at 13:29

raining now  - that nasty small rain that gets everywhere. Not a good thing when you have a busy and curious 3 year old to entertain.

Reading your post Boffin and now I have that tune stuck in my head!

"Move em on head em up Head em up move up out, move em on head em out Rawhide!!!!..........."

Maybe you need a sheep dog Boff, at the Gower show they had a couple of those rounding up the ducks, they are quite versatile canines - may even come in handy with the teenagers

Love Eurostar......

17/08/2013 at 15:04

I'm all for trains!

17/08/2013 at 20:16

Evening all

Sue - hope you had a good day.  Non stop I bet.

Boffin - sheep dog sounds like a good idea.  You already have a couple of dogs, one more wouldn't hurt!!

I have never been on Eurostar.  I enjoy train journeys though.  Just sit back and chill

See you all next weekend

18/08/2013 at 09:17

Morning

Mmmmm Pies)) - Are we meeting at your house again Nutty, or somewhere else?

Only issue with a sheepdog is the need to train it and keep it trained - a serious commitment on time considering the relatively few times a year I need to round up the sheep... still keep the option in mind though!

Weather should settle down again now for a few days?

You saw the Quack Pack Sue? Funny little fellows those Runner Ducks - we saw them at the Botanical Gardens a couple of years ago, very entertaining. Did he use his dogs to round up a group of children? Story he told was that he used to be a shepherd and initially used the ducks as an easier way to train his dogs - these days he travels around with his Quack Pack display. As far as I know he still judges sheep?

Sorry about the tune Sue...... Rawhide!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
18/08/2013 at 19:40

afternoon, yes, it was the Quack Pack Boff. He didn't round up the children, but did get lots of them to help guide the ducks over the obstacle course!

I didn't realise that the dogs would need continous training? There was a collie some years ago at the stable where I used to ride, when we went out to get the horses in, he would instinctively go around the boundary of the field and try to stay downwind of them until he was in the right position, he'd not been trained to do this, so I just thought that the basics were wired in and they would just need to go straight to the advance class!

Just back from a 50 (ish) mile bike ride with the CafetoCafe bunch, and very nice it was too. Fish and Chips in Porthcawl on a pleasant sunny afternoon, can't beat it 

18/08/2013 at 21:00

Evening all

Sounds like you have life sorted Sue

Pie fest is at mine Boffin.  Hopefully will  be a good one.

Ran 4 miles this morning and 7 this evening. 

18/08/2013 at 21:10

Hilarious evening with the family en Paris. Dinner in the apartment avec le vin, le fromage et le chocolat. Then we decided to play a French board  game called "Le Poney Club". None of us speak French well enough to make any sense of it and more than a few of us were on the wine. God knows what the rules were or who won but I laughed till I was weak!

Went to Versailles today. Opulent, ostentatious, over the top and wealthy beyond measure. Hard to believe that the Bourbons could have had such a lot of fun as the Hintons did this evening though, and as far as I know, no one wants to chop our heads off...

19/08/2013 at 07:11

Morning all

Sounds like you are enjoying the break Tracey. 

Monday again, where did the weekend go?

19/08/2013 at 09:33

Morning

Pooff! that's where Nutty!

All sheep and cattle vaccinated etc many thanks to Boff Jnr - almost as energetic as a collie and pretty quick too Our rams are very friendly - impossible to get a tractor and trailer into their field without them surrounding the wheels - so Boff Jnr had to run off down the field with the sheep chasing after him!

I have no experience training a sheep dog Sue, only what I have read... Collies do seem to have an instinctive desire to round things up from what I have heard. Only collies I have any experience of where highly strung intelligent dogs needing lots of exercise who learn cute tricks very quickly.

Seems the only way to play board games Tracey... with copious amounts of alcohol! Glad you all still have your heads attached; wouldn't want to lose them!

19/08/2013 at 21:23

Evening all

Too right Boffin.  Boff Jnr deserves extra helpings of pie and cake after all that exertion!!

My only experience of sheep dogs is the same as you Boffin. 

At least the sun was out today

20/08/2013 at 09:58

Morning

I think the exertion has tired him out Nutty - we don't see him until midday!!!

I cut the domestic grass yesterday - hate it when it gets long; hate it even more when the pull cord comes away (petrol mower) Last time that happened it ended up with me having to replace the recoil spring as well, so wasn't too pleased to end up with a pull cord in my hand not attached to the mower. Had a cup of tea and a grump then pulled the mower apart (amazing how much you have to dismantle just to get at the recoil housing!), wound back the recoil and re-fitted the pull cord - sorted dim problem!

Still in shock! Expected loads of hassle and didn't get any in the end... nice to be pleasantly surprised occasionally

20/08/2013 at 12:54

Hello Swansea people, hope you are all well.

I used to be on the thread years ago, I'm still running but was allowed away from the computer(!!) when I finished my PhD.  I've been back on here recently though as I have finally entered a marathon (Chester on October 6th) so I'm training harder now.

Consequently I have discovered Cardiff Met Uni's fab sports massage clinic so wanted to share - if you pay £20 for a session with a qualified practicioner you get a free session with a supervised trainee as well.  Also the wet spa in the LC in Swansea is £5.40 for an hour (jacuzzi/sauna/steam room/aromatherapy room/hot beds/monsoon showers), the hot beds are very good when you're aching!

20/08/2013 at 21:32

Evening all

Boffin - well done.  Patience is a virtue.

IQ - welcome back.  Thanks for the tips and good luck marathon training.

21/08/2013 at 06:53

Morning all! Swindon today, Cardiff tomorrow, Friday then off to Aberystwyth for 9 nights for a bit of R&R!

21/08/2013 at 08:56

Morning all

Sounds lovely Kev, enjoy.

Hiya Ice Queen, welcome back and congratulations on entering a marathon. I've heard that Chester is lovely. The LC2 thing sounds lovely, but no way am I training for a marathon before I can justify indulging myself!

We are home and happy. I spent a year in Paris thirty years ago before I went to university, but (cliche alert) I had forgotten how gorgeous it is. The kids were delighted with it, and we were delighted with it AND them. Only one problem - I have eaten and drunk far too much good food and wine, now need to heave myself into the pool and crow bar my feet into my trainers. Groan - this is going to hurt!

21/08/2013 at 10:58

Morning

Good luck with the marathon training Ice Queen and well done submitting your thesis 

I could do with more of that patience stuff Nutty!

Busy busy Kev! I don't remember much about Swindon except that it seemed to me to be a land of roundabouts! Nine nights in Aber sounds good

Good to have you back Tracey, sounds like you had a brilliant time in Paris - can hardly blame you for eating and drinking good food and wine!

21/08/2013 at 19:25

Glad France was good Tracey.

Yes, looking forward to Aber now!

21/08/2013 at 21:05

Evening all

Tracey - good to hear you all enjoyed.  I went to Paris once with my school and that was also  about 30 years ago.  Would like to go back one day.  Don't worry about eating and drinking.  Sampling local cuisine is part of the holiday.

RK - back travelling again?  Hope the job is going well.  Break will be good.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.