Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,761 to 38,780 of 39,289 messages
09/10/2013 at 07:51

Morning all

Excellent work Simon, great to hear.

Yes Boff, work is a lot quieter now, although we have am inspection coming up...

Interesting run last night, went round West Swansea looking for the worst hills. There are some nasty little brutes too. Some I hadn't done for years and it was interesting to see how much easier they are now than when I first started running them 12 years ago. I don't think I'm that much fitter so presumably it's a technique thing?

seren nos    pirate
09/10/2013 at 07:57

Brilliant Simon....those times should continue to fall  in the next 12 months.brilliant work.......

maybe a confidence thing Tracey.you know that you can do them now.....I think a lot of running is in the head......

I'm on my third rest day ion a row and hopefully tomnorrow will feel well enough to start back on my schedule for running.....

abingdon in a weeks time is going to be a nightmare...........I wouldn't run it but as i have to drive my OH up there and back so he can race i might as well a have a go

09/10/2013 at 20:50

Evening all

Tracey - great news about work and running.  Always good to give new routes a go.

Good luck for Abingdon Seren. 

10/10/2013 at 07:07

Well done Simon- you've come a long way!

loved the fancy dress Seren.

Cardiff for me today then 7 nights away in a row - 3 pleasure, 3 in Uni and 1 in work. Leave home for Blackpool tomorrow, Monday heading from Blackpool to Coventry as I'm starting a Post Grad Cert in Strategic Leadership in University of Warwick, then down to Swindon on Thurs. luckily there will be a gym on campus so running should be fine. 

Much colder this morning - wrap up guys. 

10/10/2013 at 21:00

Evening all

Good luck with your studies RK.  Busy life you lead.

Friday again tomorrow!  The weeks just slip by.

11/10/2013 at 10:49

Morning

You really have demonstrated the gains from training Simon - very well done no need to have to wait for these races again next year... have a look on this sites race calendar and have a go at a few local, and maybe not so local, races in between

I would say have a bash at the pudding run, but it seems to have sold out on the day of listing! - Seems the secret of that race is well out of the bag!

My favourite short run is the Scenic Seven over by Seren and the best all time has to be the Cornish Marathon - lots of great ones to choose from. Another brilliant one for spectating family is the Southampton 10k - about 2.5 laps around a lovely park; you get to pass one section three times which is great area for spectators to hang around and areas for young children to play.

Sounds like you are not busy enough Kev; I have some fencing to do if you are desperate to find things to do

Hate the whole genie gig around school inspections Tracey - what a load of tosh which achieves nothing more than elevating stress levels and disrupting education. Be far better if Ofsted just arrived out of the blue and assessed according to what they saw on the day rather than giving warning and everyone putting together artificial specimen lessons and prepping the kids because they have to play the same game as everyone else... I could go on....

Operation 'Sell the Cattle' is ongoing here; have an infrastructure / management bottleneck which will be much eased without cattle over the winter. Cow and calf sold privately and should be gone in a day or so - only 4 more to go then.

11/10/2013 at 21:36

Evening all

Well said Boffin. Every word. 

At least its Friday.  The weekend is finally here

seren nos    pirate
11/10/2013 at 21:39

I also like the lliswerry 8 at the end of january near newport.....8 very very flat miles and it gets you going again after christmas......and always a nice winter day.crisp and sunny

11/10/2013 at 21:46

I like Glynneath 5 on Boxing Day and the 4 mile run at Kenfig is a great way to celebrate new year's day too.

How are your legs Seren? 

seren nos    pirate
11/10/2013 at 21:48

haven't run all week to try and chuck the cold off my chest..will give them a spin tommorrow at park run and then a bike on sunday.......

did glynneath once.didn't enjoy it as the results were so mixed up and badly organised.maybe i was just picked a bad year

12/10/2013 at 09:06

Can I put a word in for the Sodbury Slog? We had a lot of fun at that in the past. I also enjoyed Torfaen Half. It stopped for a while, did it ever get going again?

Nice quiet weekend for me - got lots of housework to do and lots to do for the pre-inspection on Monday but no pressure.

Presumably the idea with inspections is that we have a good old tidy out and review all our proecedures regularly so that we don't get into bad habits. In theory I'm in favour of that, but the amount of trouble it causes makes it seem hardly worth it. Also, we are inspected by several bodies. some of whom don't seem to know the first thing about what we do. It's hard to take advice from someone that's never taught EFL to adults and who you know is only there because the school has paid £5000 to a profit making organisation.

12/10/2013 at 09:46

Morning all

Enjoy your quiet weekend.  We had a great laugh at the Sodbury Slog. 

The auditors were with me at work last week too.  Having been on the other side, I know what its like to audit so just try and help out.  We had lots of cake as it was someone's birthday so all was not lost!!

12/10/2013 at 20:57

Evening all

Tracey - not good when they haven't done what you do.  How can they judge it if they have never done it?   I always thought that the people who wrote audit questionnaires had never done an audit as they were so pedantic.

Not a bad day today.  Very mild again.

13/10/2013 at 10:20

Morning

Audits and inspections are not so much of a problem here; just wander out into the fields and count the animals! Had a Ministry Inspector here last year out of the blue; they just turn up and expect you to drop everything and wander around with them. They found me in breach of regulations - a calf had lost it's ear tags - most painfully as they got caught in hay feeders and had ripped through it's ears. I had noticed this and had deliberately not replaced the tags so they didn't get caught again. As this meant that over 20% of my cattle were not tagged, I was officially very naughty and would be penalised by stopping my Single Farm Payment (farming benefits) - which I don't get, so no great threat there!

However, they do ultimately have the power through the courts to slaughter my animals and ban me from keeping them should I refuse to comply - so of course I ordered the replacement tags and subjected the poor calf to having yet more tags punched through it's ears

Barbaric practice; serves no beneficial purpose to the animal what so ever - purely there for human administration. But then being a simple farmer I am sure the government is correct that I could not possibly be expected to identify this animal in my vast herd of 2 animals without the benefit of bright yellow tags!!

Of all the things I have to do here, punching tags through animal ears is my least favourite task - bet you could never have guessed that?

13/10/2013 at 22:04

Evening all

Posted earlier but it isn't here!!

Boffin - poor cattle.  It seems such a waste of time for you and unnecessary pain to inflict on your animals.  The powers that be......

Ran the cross country in Llanrhidian today.  Lovely setting and got 4th lady which I am really pleased with. 

Hope you have a better week at work Tracey.  Hope things will settle down soon.

14/10/2013 at 15:06

Afternoon

RW must have liked your post so much Nutty that they kept it for themselves Good going on your cross country!

Down to four cattle; cow and calf gone to live by the sea apparently!

seren nos    pirate
14/10/2013 at 16:00

well done  Nutty.greta running....

are you running the gwent league fixture in pontypool on saturday

boffin.....couldn't you just eat them

14/10/2013 at 21:06

Evening all

Boffin - never a dull moment for you.

Seren - I am not sure.  Will see how leg is.  Are you running it?

15/10/2013 at 11:39

Morning

Don't have freezers big enough Seren! - Have three freezers and they are all full of veg and lamb! They are also a bit young for eating, so they will be sold on to be finished on another farm.

Nice day out there today

15/10/2013 at 21:34

Evening all

Its enough to make you vegetarian.....

Was a lovely day Boffin. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.