Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

12TH JULY 2005

38,761 to 38,780 of 39,563 messages
12/10/2013 at 09:06

Can I put a word in for the Sodbury Slog? We had a lot of fun at that in the past. I also enjoyed Torfaen Half. It stopped for a while, did it ever get going again?

Nice quiet weekend for me - got lots of housework to do and lots to do for the pre-inspection on Monday but no pressure.

Presumably the idea with inspections is that we have a good old tidy out and review all our proecedures regularly so that we don't get into bad habits. In theory I'm in favour of that, but the amount of trouble it causes makes it seem hardly worth it. Also, we are inspected by several bodies. some of whom don't seem to know the first thing about what we do. It's hard to take advice from someone that's never taught EFL to adults and who you know is only there because the school has paid £5000 to a profit making organisation.

12/10/2013 at 09:46

Morning all

Enjoy your quiet weekend.  We had a great laugh at the Sodbury Slog. 

The auditors were with me at work last week too.  Having been on the other side, I know what its like to audit so just try and help out.  We had lots of cake as it was someone's birthday so all was not lost!!

12/10/2013 at 20:57

Evening all

Tracey - not good when they haven't done what you do.  How can they judge it if they have never done it?   I always thought that the people who wrote audit questionnaires had never done an audit as they were so pedantic.

Not a bad day today.  Very mild again.

13/10/2013 at 10:20

Morning

Audits and inspections are not so much of a problem here; just wander out into the fields and count the animals! Had a Ministry Inspector here last year out of the blue; they just turn up and expect you to drop everything and wander around with them. They found me in breach of regulations - a calf had lost it's ear tags - most painfully as they got caught in hay feeders and had ripped through it's ears. I had noticed this and had deliberately not replaced the tags so they didn't get caught again. As this meant that over 20% of my cattle were not tagged, I was officially very naughty and would be penalised by stopping my Single Farm Payment (farming benefits) - which I don't get, so no great threat there!

However, they do ultimately have the power through the courts to slaughter my animals and ban me from keeping them should I refuse to comply - so of course I ordered the replacement tags and subjected the poor calf to having yet more tags punched through it's ears

Barbaric practice; serves no beneficial purpose to the animal what so ever - purely there for human administration. But then being a simple farmer I am sure the government is correct that I could not possibly be expected to identify this animal in my vast herd of 2 animals without the benefit of bright yellow tags!!

Of all the things I have to do here, punching tags through animal ears is my least favourite task - bet you could never have guessed that?

13/10/2013 at 22:04

Evening all

Posted earlier but it isn't here!!

Boffin - poor cattle.  It seems such a waste of time for you and unnecessary pain to inflict on your animals.  The powers that be......

Ran the cross country in Llanrhidian today.  Lovely setting and got 4th lady which I am really pleased with. 

Hope you have a better week at work Tracey.  Hope things will settle down soon.

14/10/2013 at 15:06

Afternoon

RW must have liked your post so much Nutty that they kept it for themselves Good going on your cross country!

Down to four cattle; cow and calf gone to live by the sea apparently!

seren nos    pirate
14/10/2013 at 16:00

well done  Nutty.greta running....

are you running the gwent league fixture in pontypool on saturday

boffin.....couldn't you just eat them

14/10/2013 at 21:06

Evening all

Boffin - never a dull moment for you.

Seren - I am not sure.  Will see how leg is.  Are you running it?

15/10/2013 at 11:39

Morning

Don't have freezers big enough Seren! - Have three freezers and they are all full of veg and lamb! They are also a bit young for eating, so they will be sold on to be finished on another farm.

Nice day out there today

15/10/2013 at 21:34

Evening all

Its enough to make you vegetarian.....

Was a lovely day Boffin. 

seren nos    pirate
15/10/2013 at 21:37

i will be running it Nutty

had a lovely run with club tonight.....loving my running when I'm out.but still having a problem getting my arse out of the door

16/10/2013 at 07:24

Morning

Its hard in the dark nights Seren.  Always enjoy meeting the friendly crowd though.  Nothing quite like fellow runners.

Have a good one all.

seren nos    pirate
16/10/2013 at 07:26

nutty.I should have got m,y arse out yesterday morning when it was beautiful and sunny but just sufferred from CBA.a shame as it was a beautiful running day..

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
16/10/2013 at 08:56

morning

it was indeed a beautiful day yesterday, I cycled to my Welsh class very slowly just to drink in the stunning views across the bay and to soak up the fab weather. I'd been in Stoke for most of the week, the weather was dreadful! Today here, it's grim as grim can be.

Can't see me venturing outside much today 

16/10/2013 at 10:16

Morning

A good day to do the VAT methinks...

I don't mind a vegetarian diet at all Nutty, but I am an omnivore and would miss meats. Modern farming / food  marketing methods can leave a lot to be desired which is what inspired us to do what we are doing - this way we can eat meat knowing the animal was treated as well as we would have an animal treated. Sadly not there completely yet - there is still the worst treated animal of all - chicken to contend with. We do have chickens, and I have slaughtered and eaten them, but not managed to get a taste and texture that compares to mass produced chicken  and I will confess to liking KFC - that has to be the worst of the worst for animal welfare? Sadly chicken is the only meat we currently buy.

Had to replace Sweetie's printer - so we opted for a wireless printer combo, not expensive, but very clever. However, I fail to understand the value in being able to print to your printer in your house when you are miles away? Just because it can, doesn't mean it should?

16/10/2013 at 21:08

Evening all

Glad you had a nice break Sue.  It was lovely for a bike ride yesterday.

Boffin - I know what you mean.  We are only human and like what we like.  No problem there at all.

Seren - life is busy so sometimes we all feel like doing nothing. Perhaps you needed a rest.

Bit wet this morning.  Drier for my run this evening

17/10/2013 at 17:37

Evening

Spent the day at the cattle auctions - and now we are down to 3 cattle! - the field is looking a bit empty!!

Cow still hasn't had her calf... just have to be patient and wait a little longer

How is the running Nutty? Sweetie is working on me to get me running again - finding it hard to allocate the time these days.

17/10/2013 at 20:43

Evening all

Boffin - the running is going well thanks Boffin.  Another 6 miles tonight.  Did some loops of Singleton park the other night ready for the cross country there in December!! 

How is Sweetie?  Why don't you give the 5k a go in Crosshands one Saturday.  I can understand life is busy though.

Another week nearly over.  Weekend here we come

18/10/2013 at 10:57

Morning

Quite like that 5k in Cross Hands - certainly on the horizon for a bash. I have lost a lot of running fitness which doesn't seem to bounce back quite like it used to...

Sweetie is running, so at least that is one of us!!

18/10/2013 at 21:28

Evening all

Boffin - it will soon come back.  Give the 5k a go!!

An awful day today.  At least its the weekend.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.