Swiss Alpine Marathon

Anyone else done this one?

41 to 51 of 51 messages
01/05/2012 at 16:52
Hi Rowena. I've entered the C42 as well, for the umpteenth time.
I think you should be fine arriving Thursday, plenty of people do the same.
And the C42 is pretty much flat after the end point of the K30, so you have no more uppy downy bits to cope with.
01/05/2012 at 20:26
Brilliant - thank you and see you there!
04/02/2013 at 17:45

Is anybody doing it this year? (of course you are!) I was looking at the 2.09 events week long trip which sounds good - but I was also planning to do the Cotswold 100 mile challenge (over 4 days) the following weekend. So thought maybe I could have this as a training week and take either the K21 or C42 as a last easy (Ha!) run, then have a week off before Cotswold. Has anyone been on the 2:09 trip? 

23/04/2013 at 17:38

Hey guys

I'm thinking of doing C42 for my 2nd marathon this July and hoped you might be able to help me clear up a few bits (my 1st is going to be Midnight Sun marathon in June and the plan is to run another 11 over the following 12 months for charity)

It looks as though the first 10k is on asphalt but rest is off-road so I wondered what type of running shoes people usually wear?

Also, do you need to do any special kind of training for the C42, over and above normal marathon training, to prepare for the high altitude/hills/rocky terrain?

Thanks!

23/04/2013 at 17:52

Oooo, it must be time for me again !

Moggie, sorry I missed your earlier post, but I have been going with 2:09 to this event for the last 15 years, and even have a long service certificate from the Davos Tourist board to prove it 

I wouldn't recommend the K21 as it is a rather hard course that revolves around the start point of the bridge. If you don't fancy the full C42, then you need the K30, which is the first part of the C42.

Andrew. I run the C42, although it does tend to change a bit from year to year. I have run in trail and road shoes and prefer road shoes. The terrain isn't rocky, or I wouldn't be doing it, being rather clumsy. If you want rocky, you need the K42

The paths and trails are mostly of very good quality for easy running, nothing technical like you would find here.

All told, thorougly recommended. 

Ian

24/04/2013 at 09:25

there are a lot of tree routes on the C42 at some point but it is still a road shoe race although not your brand new ones!

24/04/2013 at 10:43

Hi Helen, no more tree roots as the course has changed from Filisur. It now follows the K78 route to Bergun.

24/04/2013 at 18:23

I have registred for the C 42. Will run it easy so I still have something left for the bulid up to the Stockholm half and Berlin marathon in september. If I like the Swiss alpine race I may go back next year and do the K 42. I´m interested in the Jungfrau and Zermatt marathons as well, althought these two seems tougher, or at least they don´t offer any easier option than a full marathon with high ascent.

24/04/2013 at 23:07

Thanks guys!

You've helped me make my mind up, I'm going to go for it!

If I arrived in Davos on the Thursday, do you think that would be enough time to acclimitize?

25/04/2013 at 19:01

Andrew: Are you going to do the C 42? Height adjustment is mainly an issue if you are going to do the K 42/K 78. It seems that the maximum altitude in C 42 is app. 1 700 m, and this is just a top quite early in the race. If you search the net you will see that it is from 1 500 m and upwards the altitude affects your performance so this shouldn´t be a big issue. I will arrive on wednesday - just one day before you - and I don´t expect any problems with the thin air.

25/04/2013 at 23:38

Stockholm Syndrome: Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going to enter the C42, getting quite excited about it now! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 51 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.