Taking kids to a ParkRun

21 to 22 of 22 messages
08/09/2013 at 17:08

Bit late to this one, but one thing I would raise is that the Bedford Parkrun is laps of the park, which is well worth bearing in mind.

I've seen some younger kids start to either tire or get bored, and they start to wander around the path a little, kicking pine cones etc.

Which is fine, except obviously younger kids aren't always endowed with the best in spatial awareness, such as the front-runners haring up on them at full pelt. I've seen some very near misses on that Parkrun.

Personally I'd suggest Huntingdon as a localish alternative - it's a more interesting place for kids anyway, a one-lap run, so no front runners hurdling them, there's a more "fun" finish (downhill, then round the corner for a kick to the line) and the cafe at the end does toast, cakes and ice cream.

Obviously, in Bedford bear in mind that there's the option of just running part of the course and then going about your day. Nothing wrong with a lap-and-a-bit of the park followed by swimming at the nearby baths.

08/09/2013 at 20:45

My 6 yo did a parkrun this summer and loved it! He took 34 minutes and chatted to his dad the whole way around. I think as long as they don't race it, then it's OK for them to run the distance. I know UK athletics don't usually allow kids to run this distance but bend the rules for parkrun as it's not classed as a race. I think as long as they can chat while they run, then it's good for them to do. There is actually a 9 year old girl in my local one who was the first woman a few weeks ago with a time of 20 minutes. So glad I didn't run it that day!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.