Thames Meander Marathon

21 to 40 of 198 messages
04/02/2013 at 20:42

I'm one of those weird people who swears by (and frequently at) cold baths after long runs. Does the hosting school have a swimming pool that they'd let us use, or is it a case of make do and have a cold shower?

04/02/2013 at 21:02

David I do want to run this, are entries open yet?

Also are you going with the same sort of prizes? I was thinking of using the race as a long run again this year, but might race it if you are offering some other vouchers. Ashstead is a bit far from us

06/02/2013 at 15:31

Hi Curly, The entries are open now, go to the webpage for information www.hermesrunning.com  we are planning on having the same prizes, the vouchers I believe can be used online, will check this for you. Would be good to see you there.

06/02/2013 at 16:31

Cool thanks

Will enter asap as loads of buzz about the race on facebook recently - dont want to miss out!!

06/02/2013 at 18:41

Hi Mel, we'll await your e-mail

Yes, Curly the vouchers can be enabled to be used online so you can shop from the comfort of your armchair

06/02/2013 at 19:06
I am in

Curly I'm in Ashtead, you & Magpie could come over to me & go for a run on the Downs, then it's 5 mins from me to the shop. A run & a bit of retail too, what could be better?!
07/03/2013 at 18:29

Worst marathon out of 22 I have run.  Directed the wrong way by no less than 5 marshalls. They marked the route with orange chalk on a red/orange sand path! The organisation was so bad they ran out of water too!  I would not recommend this race to anyone. 

07/03/2013 at 18:32

@Gabs - when did you run it? 

10/03/2013 at 20:11

I have read all the comments about this event on here, and notwithstanding Gabs' comments, I have entered this one. The main thing for me will be the weather in late August.... Here's hoping for a relatively cool day!

This will be my third marathon, my last being the London Marathon in 2009, I am really looking forward to a smaller, friendlier event!

Best of luck to everyone else in the event, please continue to post updates on how your training is going etc!

11/03/2013 at 19:10

Well it was going fine until Feb 17th, when I caught the office lurgy, and have only just got rid of it. My nice solid training base has just taken a nosedive.

12/03/2013 at 12:27

Hi, all am thinking about entering this as my first full marathon, have run a couple of HM's and I really like the look of the course - not completely flat and not all on roads which is a bonus. My only concern is upping the distance through the summer months although as it appears that we have entered a new ice age maybe the summer training won't be so bad 

12/03/2013 at 12:48
Tiger wrote (see)
I am in

Curly I'm in Ashtead, you & Magpie could come over to me & go for a run on the Downs, then it's 5 mins from me to the shop. A run & a bit of retail too, what could be better?!

Tiger wrote (see)
I am in

Would of course have to win something first

Must enter at the weekend...

20/03/2013 at 20:39
Lisa123 wrote (see)

Hi, all am thinking about entering this as my first full marathon, have run a couple of HM's and I really like the look of the course - not completely flat and not all on roads which is a bonus. My only concern is upping the distance through the summer months although as it appears that we have entered a new ice age maybe the summer training won't be so bad 

Bearing in mind, 24 August could well be a hot day, marathon training across the summer will get you conditioned for the heat.

To look at it another way, plenty of spring marathons are run in relatively warm conditions compared to the cold winter training undertaken beforehand. I did London back in 2009 where temperatures got to around 16c-18c and boy did that feel warm on the day!

Are you in then?

29/03/2013 at 20:16

I took part in the Folkestone 10M today and beat my PB by almost 2 minutes to get down to 67:25. Pleased with that!

How's everybody else getting on?

31/03/2013 at 18:54

Slowly recouping distance lost to 3 weeks of flu - tedious but necessary. Stoke Common (Bucks) is flooded and the puddles covered in ice, but at least it's not 18 foot snow drifts!

31/03/2013 at 22:25

Just entered the half - looking forward to the hot food afterwards (not that I think about my belly as well as my run, but.. well yes I do!)

How does it work with the meal afterwards, by the way, if I have my other half with me at the race supporting, can he get some grub too (paying, of course!)

Really looking forward to running around this area again - it's my old 'stomping' ground for training and commuting, very much looking forward to returning for some more miles around there will have a crack at breaking 2 hours if the conditions are good too...

01/04/2013 at 09:44

I am still trying to decide whether I should sign up for the full or half. By the time I have made my mind up no doubt both races will be full 

01/04/2013 at 19:29

Okay, just entered. THis is probably the sign for me to fall over a tree root and sprain something ...

06/04/2013 at 12:55

Just signed up for this marathon. It's my second and it sure is a lot closer to home than my first - Budapest last October!

06/04/2013 at 17:50

Hope you guys don't mind me crashing in on here (half marathon forum seem very slow) just put my entry in for the half , so see you all in August even if your all going a different route when we get to the water.

21 to 40 of 198 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.