Thames Meander Marathon

81 to 100 of 199 messages
06/07/2013 at 17:40

Love my Garmin too - got the one with the over sensitive bezel - which isn't that bad.... only slightly annoying.  Ran with that and 'Runkeeper' app today.  Sometimes use Endomundo, but thought I'd try something different.  (I only really use it to post the route to people to show then what I ran.  It's amazing how some of my friends cannot comprehend a distance unless they see it on a map!)

Had a sponsored 'week of pain' at work this week which amongst other things consisted of gym sessions (Circuits Monday, boxercise Tuesday, spinning Wednesday (pub Thursday ) and football yesterday) so was REALLY please I managed 18 miles this morning.  

Feet up for a few days now thankfully - my foam roller and I will be best mates soon!

Redheadedraver - well done on the run - was a beauty of a day for it!

07/07/2013 at 08:02

Not if you're a redhead who doesn't do heat it wasn't. I'd prefer cool, dry with sunny intervals and a light breeze, or even a spot of mizzle if I'm honest. Remember those minus temeratures at the beginning of the year? I liked those!

Well done on your 18 miles after sadistic work week. I suppose you could call it cross training ...

THanks for the advice people - I'm afraid I went with what I know, ie the 310. It's a bit like buying a Range Rover to drive round the corner for the paper, but it was the same price as the 410 and l like the battery life (handy since I also cycle - 2 out of 3 tri sports ain't bad)

07/07/2013 at 13:01

Haha, I remember the running in the sleet & snow well!  I guess I know what you mean, found it easier to layer up than keep cool yesterday for sure

08/07/2013 at 13:56

Redheadedraver - have you tried the soft reset on your 305?

Mine wouldn't power on yesterday so have left it charging overnight followed by a soft reset seems to have brought it back to life for now.

Worse than that my water spilled into my bag and has broken my phone which I was using for both music and timing!

Had to do most of last nights 13 miler last night based only on how long I thought I had been out there for!

08/07/2013 at 19:03

Well mine has mysteriously come back to life, so I'm recharging it, and seeing what happens. And Amazon says I can refuse to receive the one I've just ordered so that it'll go straight back to them. This may be difficult - I'll be out at work when it arrives, and we have very helpful neighbours who will of course accept it for me!

How do you do a soft reset anyway?

10/07/2013 at 14:33
  1. Start with device powered off
  2. Press and hold Mode and Power
  3. Release buttons once Do You Really Want To Erase All User Data? message appears
  4. Select Yes
12/07/2013 at 10:26

Good morning all. Just come across this thread. Doing the Meander too. Training going ok but started off a group of 4 down to just 2 of us now. Doing a lot of the training on my own which is tough. 

Having to split this weeks long run not ideal but better than not doing it. Up at 5 this morning to 15 miles and then 5 after work got a lift so got to run home!!! It is going to be hot must keep drinking the water.

Looking forward to a "rest" week from Monday

14/07/2013 at 20:58

@ Jacs t - 15miles in the morning and 5 after work...i feel like a couch potato now 

morning long slow run got of late start leaving around 10am -15 miles which went ok untill about mile 12-13 when the heat just got too much! ended up having a pit stop and grinding out the last couple of miles ..hasn't filled me with the best of confidence really hope the temp drops by event day.

15/07/2013 at 09:57

Worrying about the heat too RollerbladeRunner ran on Sunday and was very hot by the time I finished at 10.30 you must have been out in the hottest part of the day!!!!!!!!!!

Still the runs you find the hardest are the ones that count the most (that's what I tell myself). Hoping a fair bit of thecourse will be in shade and cooler as it is by the river.

15/07/2013 at 09:57

Worrying about the heat too RollerbladeRunner ran on Sunday and was very hot by the time I finished at 10.30 you must have been out in the hottest part of the day!!!!!!!!!!

Still the runs you find the hardest are the ones that count the most (that's what I tell myself). Hoping a fair bit of the course will be in shade and cooler as it is by the river.

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 10:08
17/07/2013 at 11:44

Starting to get seriously nervous about the heat too now.  Managed a really gruelling 17 miles on the Isle of Wight last Friday, that was tough.  Planning a 20+ miler tomorrow on a pretty flat course so I'll see how it goes.  Definitely taking my Camelbak bag with me to keep hydrated!  

17/07/2013 at 15:16

Planing to leave at 5.30am for my 20 miler on Friday. Going to leave some bottles of water on the route night before. 

21/07/2013 at 13:11

Got back from a week on Hadrian's Wall yesterday, where the temperature hovered round about 30C all week. Major geological features and archaeology are all very well, but seriously hard work to do long runs on, especially in those temperatures. I ended up walking the last 2 miles of my long run (also interspersed with walking breaks for health reasons obviously) cos otherwise I was going to fall over. I keep telling myself it's the time on the feet that's important.

Just back from an 18 miler, thank god it's cooled down slightly ...

24/07/2013 at 16:15

Well done for going out there and doing it in this heat. I'm getting a bit bored of getting up at 5.30am 

25/07/2013 at 10:13

5.30 am ....WOW

i've been starting work at 7am so most of my training has been afternoon runs apart from the weekend but even then the earliest i leave is 8 so hats off to you both!

hope everyones training is going ok im finding the weeks are just flyng by now

think ive realistically only got 2-3 more long runs in me (peaking 20 miles) if i wanna make it to the start line in one piece my legs are really feeling it.

25/07/2013 at 11:36

Hi there,

Just saw this thread and am glad so many of you are doing it. I took part last year and did experience the water situation. However, it would never put me off as the organizers are just brilliant and I have every confidence in them. The scenary is just lovely and a great route, even with the hill at the end...but hey, if running marathons was easy then everyone would be at it !

Hermes also do another event - Bewl Water marathon, which I also did this year. That was extremely well organised, loads of well stocked stations, crisps, flapjacks, gels, oh and water!! Another gorgeous medal as well.

I am not running the marathon this year as I offered my services to marshal by way of thanks as I was very kindly allowed to enter Bewl at the very last minute due to excessive fannying aroundon my part - so - am looking forward to cheering you all on and hopefully encouraging you on your way.

26/07/2013 at 15:18

Be glad to get all the lomg ones out the way too RollerBladeRunner. Running in all this sun got me some serious tan lines not in the right places!!

Always seem to be covered in scratches from brambles and stinging nettles too. Funny how they don't hurt until you spot them.

26/07/2013 at 22:32

Know what you mean! I'm covered in insect bites in annoying places, I have one mysterious backened toe nail (happily free of sensation) and my lower legs look like I'm wearing short socks - tan line about half way up the calf. Roll on the end of next week - the final long run, then I start tapering. Training without an ipod (running to a rhythm) goes against the grain, but I'm practising for the marathon where ipods are BANNED.

28/07/2013 at 13:42

Another long under my belt. I very rarely train with an ipod Redheadraver really enjoy letting my mind wonder. Mainly because when I started running there was no such thing! Guess it's what you get used too. 

29/07/2013 at 09:06

Think i will take a page out of your book Redheadedraver, i tend to run with music ( so much so i try not to listen to music outside of running) , ive slowly been easing back on the tunes to get used to it for the big day . Also looking to use the opportunity to talk to other runners as it would be nice to make some new friends / meet some locals

wimped out on the long run over the weekend will try and put it in somewhere over the midweek , and it will prob be my last before the event now

81 to 100 of 199 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.