The A20 Pathway 17.3

Good training run for FLM

21 to 40 of 113 messages
24/02/2009 at 23:57

Mark-C , Great , but you're missing out on a great 10k,thats got a long gradual hill and a steep climb

at the end of it and then flat until you come round to it again. This race is 2 laps in beautiful grounds

and a great atmoshere,and well worth the trip,great speed work training,and preps you up for the pathway run the following week.

,Multisport, thanks for the info,that is definitely a relief to know.Hubbards is kinder,and shouldn't be

a problem.

Lazybones,definitely use road shoes,its more hard surface than not. Might encounter some off road

but not enough to put on offroaders.

25/02/2009 at 14:52
I am training for LFM and have entered as it fits into my plan perfectly. But, this is the first official race I have ever entered. As far as I'm concerned all I need to bring are myself and running gear. Could any of you experienced pros tell me if I should be bringing anything else, or is it that simple?
25/02/2009 at 23:28
David - bring some safety pins to pin your number on with.  Bring any energy drinks/gels or sweets that you normally do your long run with.
25/02/2009 at 23:37

Or one better , buy double sided sticky tape which is better .

25/02/2009 at 23:39
And keep up with someone who provides the confectionary
25/02/2009 at 23:45

David - first proper race a 17.3 .... I'm impressed ... or maybe you're mad

I'd get a couple more in (10K races will do) before FLM if you can so you can practice race prep although nothing really prepares you for the big one. I did it in 1997 (didn't run anywhere again until last year) and it's like nothing else you'll do. However doing a few races teaches you all sorts of things .... safety pins as Tracey notes above (I now own 100s) , drinks etc, what actually fits in the bag you want to leave behind, charging your watch if you use one, whether those trackie bottoms really slip off over your shoes. I'm sure there are many more things but these are a few from personal experience.

I've no idea how big the Pathway run will be but the real shock of doing bigger races is the sheer volume of people you are running with for the first few miles. I've done races where pace is completely out of your hands for a couple of miles because you're in such a big bunch.

26/02/2009 at 09:18
Thanks very much for your replies.....very helpful.....will try and get a couple more runs in defo....and I'll go and get those safety pins!!! see you all there....
12/03/2009 at 11:40

I entered on line through runner's world, has anyone had a number through or do we pick them up in the morning, just another concern don't the clocks change that day?!  Early start!!!

12/03/2009 at 12:29

Hi all,

I run part of the course last Sunday (got a bit lost after hubbards hill turning left instead of right and came down onto the A20 too early and had to do a bit of a loop around Lenham to get the 17.3 miles in. Doh!).

The first 6 miles is very undulating before turning left into Hubbards Hill. The hill is quite a killer but doable. The biggest issue was the wind. Hopefully this won't be an issue on the day but on Sunday the 17.3 miles (my longest ever run) felt like an marine assault course. I was doing my level best to stay upright on the downs. At the end of the run I felt completely battered, like I'd been in a ring with Tyson!!

After Hasting this week (with a 7 mile uphill start) it may well end up being a breeze (pardon the pun)...

Looking forward to it.... 

12/03/2009 at 15:00
Kellie - you collect you number an chip on the day. You have to check their website for further details this week.
12/03/2009 at 19:25
Thanks Tracey, oh and I checked the clocks dont change until the next weekend so thats another hour in bed - relief!
12/03/2009 at 19:37

Kellie - sorry I didn't read the bit about the clocks, but I knew when the go forward. 

15/03/2009 at 19:33

As long as there is somewhere to change, it is well marshalled, there are toilets you don't have to queue for an hour for and the drinks stations are adequate, then what else can you ask from a training run. 

I don't frankly care about the scenery just the person in front whose heels I'm trying to avoid treading on.  It isn't cheap but at this point in my training regime I'm grateful someone is putting together a run over this distance to save me from going mad on a 3 hour solo run.

I do though reserve the right to whinge this time next week if any of the above are lacking. 

15/03/2009 at 20:53
Well said Stephen.
15/03/2009 at 23:43
I'm a slow run-walker. Does anyone know if this is a good run to try
16/03/2009 at 06:27
FLM reject - what pace are you aiming for?
16/03/2009 at 07:41
I'd be trying for 12 min miles
16/03/2009 at 09:42

HI All

I am abit concerened that I will get lost doing this course, ( as I am a slow runner) like Kevin!! Is it really not marshalled/signposted enough that you can go the wrong way!

I have no intentions to break any records ( well maybe the slowest). Plus I ran Silverstone half yesterday!!!!

Anyone hellllp??

16/03/2009 at 09:51
jamil - I will be running this at between 11 -11.5 min miles.
16/03/2009 at 09:55
FLM reject - My pace for my long runs very from 11.15 - 11.45 min miles so I will be one of the last runners home. If you start at 9am you shouldn't have a problem. I will even wait for you to finish.
21 to 40 of 113 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.