The Alternative Everyone's Welcome GNR 2011 Thread

41 to 56 of 56 messages
10/10/2010 at 21:18

Well done RLTW.

Well that Radox bath worked wonders. Now for all the usual Sunday night sorting.

10/10/2010 at 22:42

Hello BBS - well done - that's amazing! How much training did you do? I could never do anything like that. What was the route? What sort of bike have you got?

Sorry to be clueless but what is "PMA"?

Hi RLTW - same to you - that's brilliant. Is it a hard course? I need to think about entering some events even if to get over the nerves - but I worry about coming last. I just can't imagine lining up with proper runners. All sounds silly I know.

I am trying a spinning class this week and am worried sick about that but I am determined to give it a go. Wish me luck. have any of you tried spinning? I have heard it is hard work but good for weight loss.

Anyway, lots of Sunday night jobs for me too including ironing (groan). Good night!

11/10/2010 at 14:08

Good luck with your spinning class this week SourSusan,I tried it a couple of times and didn't mind it,but prefer peddling outside.

Congratulations BBS,total respect from me.I cycled a 50 miler recently for the British heart foundation and I felt knackered afterwards.Mind,it didn't help that my mountain bike is like pushing a tank.Couple of weeks after I bought my son's racing bike of him and the difference it's made is awesome.What sort of bike did you use?plus how are your legs today?

Hi RLTW,well done on your run yesterday.Did you enjoy it as much as the GNR?was it a very busy race?Interested to know.

Anybody else have a good run/race/ at the weekend?

11/10/2010 at 20:03

Hi Mandy - felt alright actually - even managed to cycle home from work today...totally different to running. Cycling is so much easier on the joints. Hills were a killer and the off-road bits weren't suitable for my bike, but otherwise not too bad. Good gang of us so good craic too.

My bike is a Marins Muirwoods 29er which looks like this (only caked in mud now):-

I love it.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/marin-muirwoods-29er-urban-bike-55200.jpg

better go- kids to get to bed. Cacth up later.

SourSusan - spinning is a killer but very good for fitness. Do it!

11/10/2010 at 22:22

SourSue - just read your post properly sorry. PMA = positive mental attitiude. 

I didn't do much in the way of training but have been cycling to work and back for the last 4 weeks or so (11 miles or so each way). Was really surprised I didn't find it tougher/ hurt more today. It was the "C2C Reivers Route" but "only" the Carlisle-Kielder-Newcastle bit. Loved it. I may be sacking the running I have to say...

Edited: 11/10/2010 at 22:22
LIVERBIRD    pirate
11/10/2010 at 23:02

*pops head in*

11/10/2010 at 23:10
Hi LB...welcome..wilkommen...where've you gone?  Flying visit?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/10/2010 at 12:05
I am like Mary Poppins! When the wind changes I fly away!
12/10/2010 at 21:51
Mary Poppins eh? That's one name for it
LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/10/2010 at 22:09
OK - I just like tormenting children
13/10/2010 at 20:28

am I missing something?

How did you manage to do that cycle on such little practice? I just couldn't do that. You must have loads of PMA. I have loads of NMA I am afraid but I am trying to improve.

Went to spinning tonight - nearly killed me. The instructor is a bit army-like so not sure it is for me - I need to be gently cajoled, not screamed at.

So, I came out of gym and bought a Grab Bag of Quavers

14/10/2010 at 20:07
SourSusan wrote (see)
am I missing something?

Don't think so. How d'ya mean?

SourSusan wrote (see)
How did you manage to do that cycle on such little practice? I just couldn't do that. You must have loads of PMA. I have loads of NMA I am afraid but I am trying to improve.

I surprised myself SourSusan - my egenral fitness must be okay and cycling does not hurt anywhere near as much as running. I have gait problems and have put weight on so running is not enjoyable for me these days. I used to run a lot (1hr 39mins GNR in 2004/ 10k PB 45 mins) but that is getting longer and longer ago...PMA I don;t have much of but seem to "find" it on endurance exercise.

SourSusan wrote (see)
Went to spinning tonight - nearly killed me. The instructor is a bit army-like so not sure it is for me - I need to be gently cajoled, not screamed at.

So, I came out of gym and bought a Grab Bag of Quavers

I love Quavers. Didn't know you could get grab bags...maybe give the spinning another go and if it is the instructor you don't like, try a different class? I know what you mean - the army method does not work with me either - I would mumble "f**k off" all the way through and never go back.

16/10/2010 at 15:42

Love the bike BBS - what does the BB stand for by the way? Love that bike by the way. Why did you mention Quavers? Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh I am going to try the spinning again for a few weeks yet. Apparently you get used to him - and he is nice to look at. Your running times are very fast I think.

Welcome LiverB - what's your stats with running? Newbie/ oldie?

16/10/2010 at 21:45

Hello Sour Sue - BBS stands for BlithburySloth. Blithbury is where I am from - a little village/ hamlet near Uttoxeter, Staffs.

LB will love you querying if she is an oldie

22/10/2010 at 21:13

I thought LB would have risen to that.

Where've y'all gone? Quavers..........

23/10/2010 at 16:58

Hiya folks,

Kept forgetting to look in . Quite pleased with this week's training so far: 1 recovery run (3M); 1 tempo run (3.5M); 1 long run (9M) plus a 15 mile bike ride. May do an intervals session on the treadmill tomorrow but will see how I feel.

Hope everyone else's running is going okay.

Just off to check the footie results, to see if Sunderland beat Aston Villa!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 56 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.