The Ashridge Half Marathon

Picturesque Half Marathon

3 messages
16/06/2013 at 16:44

As my first ever half marathon I enjoyed the run this morning.  There were plenty of marshals and water stops.  I could print my chip timing result at the end which was a bonus.  I think off road running will take some time for me to get used to but the course wasn't too bad.  A bit boggy in places but on the whole nothing more than gently undulating, nothing I would call a hill at all.  Beautiful countryside and lovely woods to run through made it much prettier than my usual road running.  A lovely welcome at the finish line, and a decent medal (it's all about the medal!).  Not a lot of runners though, I think many were deterred by the sponsorship pledge but hopefully Iain Rennie will take the feedback on board and think about it for next year.  Only thing I would have liked would have been some mile markers, there weren't any at all.  I believe it's the first one they have done so my novice point of view is well done Iain Rennie.

16/06/2013 at 17:00

I looked at doing this as it was relatively local and the course does look great, but I have no interest in raising £100 sponsorship in order to run. In all honesty as a fund raising strategy it seems very shortsighted. £17 entry including a medal and a tee shirt, why not just up the entry fee a little and drop the tee or medal in order to make more money from the entry fees?

16/06/2013 at 17:03

I agree and that is the feedback they have had from many.  Hopefully they will rethink it for next year.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.