The Brighton Marathon

Brighton marathon hills?

1 to 20 of 24 messages
12/04/2010 at 13:28

Really looking forward to the Brighton Marathon on Sunday, and very keen to get under 3.50 to get a good-for-age place in London next year.

Am slightly worried about hills. Looking at the course map, it looks like the hill at about mile ten of the half, just after the pier and running out towards the marina, is part of the course. I've run the half a couple of times and hate that bit as you're running up hill looking down at people finishing below, knowing that you have three miles to go!

Anyway, please can some locals enlighted me? Is that one of the four hills described on the course? 

I do actually live in a hilly place (Peak District) so run a lot of hills, but I'm not very fast on them, and I think I'll be pretty borderline on getting under 3.50 anyway.

My last marathon was NY and it looks like overall elevation gain is actually slightly more in NY, but I think the NY 'hills' may have been more gradual climbs than the Brighton hills?  Can anybody else comment on this??

Am also hoping next Sunday is a LOT colder than yesterday in Brighton!

Feeling nervous...

13/04/2010 at 22:25

*Hmmm. I'd like to know that too

13/04/2010 at 22:31
I find running hills is better as it makes you work and you will run better after that
14/04/2010 at 05:11

Jane-O

You will do it.Like me with my club .I take note t speedy up sloowely as a steady pace like try to get 15miles within 1H.30 or 2H then You nearly and yeat again 1H.30 try abit more like 20miles and I think 2miles left.You should be sub 3.30 or 3.45 easy. Like I did at BlackPool Marathon last year 4.45 and this year 4..04 that 36minutes faster and I dunn Grantham Canal within 4.43 better then 2009 was 6.15.Anyone can do it with proper  training listen to the clubs and runners(Speciale) and more Gym workout? You.ll be fine?    I hope that will courange you.I will be there at Brighton my 24th Marathon???

14/04/2010 at 12:35

If there is anyone female who wants to do this who hasn't managed to get a place you can sign up to the Brighton women's centre team - they have five places

http://www.womenscentre.org.uk/index.php?Events

15/04/2010 at 21:15

At the start - not sure of exact route in preston park at the start, but minor hill / slope as the route goes around preston park - quite gental, but a bit 'rude' at the start

Around Miles 6 - 7 - 8 contains the 'major' hills (of this course) winding up past the marina to ovingdean, then mile 9 more downhill back to the coast road, then turn left back on main coast road up hill until the course turns round at neville rd (by the mile 10/fuel marker).

After mile 10 its mostly downhill progressing back to sea level, and near sea level is probably reached just after mile 13 (near the pier).  Then only a couple of slopes in the road at odd points on the course after that.

But if you are used to peak district, or running on the downs, all these hills are probably pretty minor!!!

On NY - the NY climbs are the long drawn out climbs over the bridges... they just go on and on and on

15/04/2010 at 22:38

Just seen the video up on http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/course.html

Which runs around the whole course - quite good

It shows that the preston park section (at the start) goes up a road, so thats about half mile of hill (not too steep)...

plus also reminded me of a hill into st james st at mile 5.

But the video does show it pretty well

16/04/2010 at 11:01

Anyone who runs in The Peak District will find Brighton easy (maybe!).  Might see you there as my flight tomorrow to Boston to do the Boston Marathon on Monday is looking very doubtful.  It's a shame 'cos I was due to meet a buddy from Grindleford (near Hathersage) for breakfast on the waterfront on Tuesday (people from The Peak District will understand this).

Good luck to all.

17/04/2010 at 15:29

In the park we'll be going so slowly with the crowds i doubt we'll notice the hills. The miles 6-8 as mentioned might be a concern, but they come early so shouldn't be too bad. The course is generally downhill, and the weather predicted to be fine. I'm looking forward to an excellent event...and if my time's good, then so much the better....

see you there....I'll be the one in t-shirt and shorts....

17/04/2010 at 17:19
Brighton Marathon have kindly let me in as Boston is now a no hoper so see you there.  I will also be in shorts and a T-shirt.  4 months and 570 miles of training and I get stuffed by a volcano!
19/04/2010 at 13:21

Thank you for all your responses, folks. I found the Brighton hills manageable but they were def hills, not 'undulations' as some people described them! Finished in 3.45:07 so hoping that London keeps their new Good-for-Age limit at 3.50 so I get a place.

Great first marathon for Brighton anyway - I was particularly delighted when a fiend called to say my time on the website was two minutes faster than my Garmin - only to discover later that there were errors on the website. But chuffed with my 3.45.

19/04/2010 at 13:24
Andy in Kent - I meant to add, sorry that you missed seeing your Grindleford friend. I can highly recommend the 21-mile Grindleford Gallop in March as a Spring marathon training race. Some serious hills in that - not many people manage to run the whole course - usually there is a bit of walking involved!
19/04/2010 at 14:31

Wow well done on 3:45:07.  My time was 3:58:01 and I'm happy with that given that I didn't know I was even running it until about 12 hours before the off!  The Grindleford 21 sounds interesting but also daunting.  Not sure I could get past the Scotsmans Pack, Ringinglow Arms, Miners Arms, George Hotel etc etc without stopping.  I'll check the net but I guess it goes into Hathersage and out towards Castleton maybe?  One day I'm going to do the Sheffield Half but for the moment it's rest!  And if you find yourself in Kent (where I've migrated to from North Derbyshire many years ago) in September please come along and do the Weald St Georges 10k which I organise.  www.weald10k.co.uk

A brilliant race even if I say so myself!

Andy

Tommygun2    pirate
19/04/2010 at 14:44

Andy in Kent

You must live near me then, I'm going to do the Weald 10K this year, last year it clashed with something else I was doing. I only live up the road from Weald so should do it really.

19/04/2010 at 14:57
You definitely should and get your entry in asap!  You can enter via our web site or through RW.  I actually live in the village so we may have passed each other on training days somewhere.  If you ever want to joins us we do Weds nights 7:35pm from Hildenborough Church and Saturday morning, generally from Stocks Green and coming up through the village and out to Bough Beech.
19/04/2010 at 14:59

Hi Andy

I've actually signed up for the Lea Valley trail marathon the week after your 10k so won't make it this year - hope it goes well though! And well done yesterday!

Tommygun2    pirate
19/04/2010 at 15:14
Andy I live in Hildenborough so I may well join you but I'm bit of a plodder. Yesterday I managed a slow 4hrs 32 mins. Well below my PB but it was hot 
19/04/2010 at 15:28
Just come along and try us out.  We plod, we jog, we just try and enjoy it and stay fit.  No need to book - just turn up.  I should say that I think we won't be out this Weds as we'll be recovering from Brighton but we'll be back next week and on our summer route that goes out to Shipborne.
23/04/2010 at 11:02

Discarded Start Line Clothing

Morning all.

Just to give you an advance heads up, the Worthing Churches Homeless Project who collected all of the discarded start line clothing (65 sacks full!) have washed it all and it will be going on sale in their shop tomorrow (Saturday 24th). Apparently there is a lot of running / sports related gear and from what I saw as I ran past, some of it is very good, so if you want to "update" your wardrobe and bag a bargain whilst helping a very worthwhile organisation then get on down to;

The Worthing Churches Homeless Projects Charity Shop

117 Montague Street

Worthing

BN11 3BP

They are open 6 days per week from 9.30am to 4.30pm.

Have a look at their web-site at: www.wchp.org to see the good causes they support and if you fancy trying something different, they have a sponsored "Zorb" coming up on the Downs here in Brighton.

Mark

Edited: 23/04/2010 at 11:56
24/04/2010 at 21:51

The 'hills' are just a couple of small slopes and are in the early stages of the run - if you've done the Hastings Half-Marathon by way of preparation, you really have nothing to worry about.

This was a great run - not at all boring - running alongside the sea is one of life's pleasures - the crowds were incredible, in my mind they rivalled the support you get in London.

Give this one a go - the race director had no big sponsor and took a huge gamble, particularly when the Brighton Half-Marathon is so dreary and lacking in absolutely everything. He had everything covered-plenty of water, toilets en-route, really efficient bag drop-off and retrieval - couldn't have made it better.

I completely loved it and got a PB! Thank you Brighton.

1 to 20 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.