The Great Clarendon Marathon

1 to 20 of 47 messages
24/04/2010 at 19:05
Doing Berlin the week before so wondering if this one will be a touch of madness!
24/04/2010 at 23:44
Did it last year the week after dying at New Forest and will be doing them both again this year.
It's an excellent event. Really well organised. Beautiful route.
27/04/2010 at 12:31

I've just done my first marathon (Stratford) and am keen to do a second one in the autumn. The first was about proving I could do it and second will be about seeing how fast I can do it. Given that I'm hoping to go from 5h34m to under 5 hours, is the Great Clarendon Marathon a reasonable one to attempt? (My concerns are (1) will there be enough people at the same low standard as me so that I don't look stupid! and (2) is the route suitable for trying to improve on your time?)

Any advice will be gratefully received.

27/04/2010 at 12:39
I'd say it's not a fast course.
29/04/2010 at 23:17
it's predominantly offroad and undulating, i did this in 2006 about 30 mins slower than my road marathon time but it depends on how you run in those conditions i guess
30/04/2010 at 04:08
Cheers guys. Having had a closer look it's clearly not a course that will help me find out how fast I can do a marathon, but it looks like a lovely race to do. I'm very tempted by the idea of a race from A to B rather than the usual two lap course.
05/06/2010 at 11:51
What kind of shoes would you recommend wearing for this race? Is it likely to be muddy (of course it depends on how much rain there is in the days/weeks before the race), requiring serious trail shoes? How much of it is on roads?
05/06/2010 at 12:34

got a flyer for this the other night at a race. pondering doing it now

not much on roads that i recall, think i wore road shoes the year i did it

05/06/2010 at 12:42

I've certainly done it (or rather the half) in road shoes, and also in trail shoes another year. It can be REALLY muddy if there's been a lot of rain.

It is really great though, and very well organised. Plan to do a leg of the relay this year, as I get back from holiday on 2nd, and don't think I'd be ready for longer distances!

05/06/2010 at 13:04
I'm assuming I can leave it a while to decide about this one?  Not just whether my legs will be up to a tough run but whether I can afford the cost of a b&b after a week in Berlin
05/06/2010 at 14:03

Thanks for the advice on shoes.

Another question: Is it easy to distinguish between the relay runners and the full marathon runners? Does everybody just start together, or are the relay runners on one side of the start line, marathoners on the other?

09/06/2010 at 19:30

Hello all, just entered the relay for this one and I'm wondering about the 'mixed terrain' also. Does anyone know a site (or person(s)) that give me a breakdown of the surface conditions.......I mean:- how much is trail/grass/road etc. It would be very useful to know.

Thanking you all in advance,

Mabel

16/06/2010 at 13:45

After this weekends' SD marathon this is very tempting, and almost too close to home to pass by.

16/06/2010 at 13:53
After this weekend's SDW, I'm thinking my decision's been made for me!
09/08/2010 at 15:53

I'm thinking of running the marathon but the sunday before I'm running the New forest 1/2.  Is that a bit daft with regards to resting between races?

Ran the Salisbury 54321 30k in 2:53 so know the course or at least part of it is tough going.

23/08/2010 at 14:37

Ho Ross,

Everyone runs at the same time, but you can usually distinguish the relay runners from the marathon ones. If anything, the relay runners, with their fresh legs pull  you along a bit. The half runners go at a set time, so you either catch some up, or they could catch you.

24/08/2010 at 18:24

Entered!

BBQ
27/08/2010 at 11:30

Does anyone have a view on what shoes are best for this race, in view of the rain we have had lately?  I have never run more than 4-5 miles in trail shoes, and am worried about wearing them for a full marathon.  If I stick to road shoes whatever the weather will the course be OK?

27/08/2010 at 19:41

Footwear is a problem with this course - there is some tarmac - which is not suitable for fell shoes, trail are best, there is so much off-road - BUT - the chalky ground is treacherous in places if it's wet. It is like ice. I wouldn't want to be on it in normal trainers. In the past, I have done events like these in my trainers, after having fell soles put on them - Cheshire Shoe Repairs did them for me. Old trainers that have lost some cushioning, but are still tidy are ideal. They rip the sole off and put studded ones on. It used ot be about £20, and a very fast service.

02/09/2010 at 21:35

Footwear depends on the weather!  Last year, road shoes would have been the best option, the year before serious trail shoes would have been the only serious option, so decide on the day! Enjoy!

1 to 20 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.