The Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

A Great Half

1 to 20 of 47 messages
20/08/2011 at 12:23
Not long to go now !!.......Hows everyones training coming along ??
20/08/2011 at 19:34
Training?............Not sure I fancy much of that, but since this race starts and finishes around 10 minutes from my front door I suppose I should enter. It's a great event, here's hoping for some decent weather.
21/08/2011 at 21:00

Good to know your going for it Millster. What you aiming for this year ? If it's within reach of my meagre ability I may try and tag on the back of you. Hope the horse from the Brampton to Carlisle doesn't make an appearance !!

Have you heard a date mentioned for the brampton to carlisle this year ??

21/08/2011 at 23:05
Naaayyy! Sorry couldn't resist. Brampton to Carlisle is traditionally the third Saturday in November so presumably it will be the same this year. I'll remember that horse for a very long time. Not sure what time I'll be looking for in Oct. Something under 1.50 I would guess but how much under I'm not sure just yet.
22/08/2011 at 20:48

If it's the 3rd Satrurday in November I'm out of it because I entered the Bill Barker 10k that was supposed to be in August but they changed the date to November 20th so as I've paid I'll be doing that. I just hope the organisers have the good sense to speak to each other otherwise they will both suffer.

I did the GCR in just over 01:45 last year and really want to duck under that benchmark this time but we'll see how it goes. I have the Blackpool Hilton 10k at the start of Sept so that should be a good test for the GCR. Are you doin that ?

01/09/2011 at 09:02

How's everybodys training going then?

I wont be racing the GCR this year as i'm doing the Liverpool marathon the week after, but I never miss it as its my local race & is always a great event so I'll be jogging round at an easy pace!

I'm pretty certain that the Brampton to Carlisle is on the 19th Nov this year.

17/09/2011 at 09:51
Very quiet on this thread, surely there must be a few out there doing this race, only 2 weeks to go!
17/09/2011 at 16:28
There's def 2 of us running - unless One20Four has bailed out
19/09/2011 at 08:53

I'm doing with my wife who's from Penrith originally. We're driving up from London on the Friday beforehand. Looks to me like a fairly quick course

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/387463/Gallery/GCR.JPG

19/09/2011 at 21:08

Don't worry Millster I'm still in. Did 12.5 on Saturday on some of the route. Those hills up to Cumwhinton are a killer ! I got to them about 9 miles into my run and am glad they coume early on the day.

Not sure if sub 1:45 is in me but sub 1:50 should be within reach (will now look a bit silly if I'm over that !)

I spoke to the Sands Ctr today and they reckon we should get some instructions in the  post this week. Number collection at the Sands the day before or the morning of the race.

Gonna do a couple of quickish 8's this week and 10.5 at the weekend then next week an 8 and a 6 then 2 days rest before the day .

When I get my number on the Saturday I'll try and remember to put it on here. It would be nice to bump into a few "forumers" at the castle

20/09/2011 at 13:00
Thanks for the elevation table, I had heard its a hilly for the first few miles but its re-assuring that it looks OK for the home straight. This will be my first GCR, should be good.
20/09/2011 at 13:15

Think I might do this as well as Brampton to Carlisle.  I heard all about the horse last year - think I was too slow to see it. 

Would this be a bad idea 2 weeks before a marathon?

20/09/2011 at 16:51

Which marathon you doing Ian?

You would be best doing the race at a steady pace & treating it as a traiing run (say 40-60secs slower than your marathon pace) then adding on 3-4 miles when you finish

Anything much faster will have an impact on your marathon!

20/09/2011 at 20:17
Has anyone got their numbers yet? I applied on-line on the 1st September and have had nothing as yet.
20/09/2011 at 20:53

Tom,

My post above covers the numbers thing. They say letters should go out this week with instructions and number collection is at the Sands Centre the day before or the morning of the race.

20/09/2011 at 21:11

i'm doing it!

2nd time

20/09/2011 at 22:07

This will be my 4th GCR. Last time was in 2008 which is the only time I've run it on this course. After a flat first mile, there are a few longish drags until about the 5 mile point but nothing too steep. The only nasty hill from what I can remember is the little one at around 11 miles coming out of the park - short but sharp! I reckon it's a pretty fast course though - I got a PB last time.

21/09/2011 at 20:41

Really looking forward to this one.

Ran it in 2005 and 2006, but had to  pull out of '07 (and the Amsterdam half that year) due to injury.
I haven't run a half marathon since, for a number of reasons, so I'm very excited about this comeback.

Postman brought my number today 295. Bring it on.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

22/09/2011 at 07:47
Hi,
My first ever 'race' of any kind since my teenage athletics days. Been a slob for 15 years or so and just decided I needed to do something. I've only managed a couple of 9 miles and a 10 in my training (building up through the weeks). Had a few calf strains through the summer training. Just hope i get to the start line and complete it ok (nursing a slight twinge now).
My main aim is to run the whole course. Will be delighted to do that.
Got my number yesterday...19

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

22/09/2011 at 10:27
our numbers were posted yesterday
1 to 20 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.