The Harvel 5

Let's have 'a lark'

21 to 40 of 42 messages
17/05/2008 at 12:22

Q. Whad'ya get if you cross a Pointer and a Setter?

A.  Poinsetter; a traditional Christmas pet

Q. Whad'ya get if you cross a Bull Terrier with a Shitzu?

A.  Bullshitz; a gregarious but unreliable breed

29/05/2008 at 13:38

Race number received.

Lets hope they've got that barrel ordered.......

29/05/2008 at 18:18
race number received also. sub 34 this year.
30/05/2008 at 21:35

Looking forward to this-one of the most enjoyable and characterful races around.

I hope it's a warm,sunny afternoon-perfect for lazing on the green with a pint or two afterwards.

Looking back to some "criticism" you guys got some years ago-can I take it that there will be plenty of marshalls on hand to remove the caps from our post-race drink bottles at the finish line....??!!

...and don't even get me started on the price of water in the "Amazon & Tiger"...

02/06/2008 at 16:45

It's getting quite close now - anyone coming from London?  I'm thinking of catching 11.39 from Victoria to Meopham, then taxi to Harvel. 

Drinking water DJ?????!!!!!  That's hardly the spirit of a hash r*n.

On on

06/06/2008 at 08:54
Anyone know just how deep is the mud at the entry / exit to the off-road section. With all the rain we've had the last 2 weeks I bet there's quite a swamp there now???
06/06/2008 at 09:34

Mud on the road (Singing "I like your tiger feet" again this year) .... yes the part in the park is rather muddy ... ran it on Tuesday ... so hopefully dried up a bit by now .... but as that part is in the shade it will still be muddy (suggest you don't wear your best trainers!)

Beer tent supplies now sorted will be Fosters, John Smith (Sorry chaps didn't manage to sort a barrrel of real ale), cider, PIMMS, wine and soft drinks ..... there's alway the Amazon & tiger as well

Entries now at 445, that the most pre race entries ever ... however I expect more runners have entered in advance as several over race limits have been reached recently ... I've got 550 numbers and medals so there's still place available on the day

Weather is looking good for running, cloudy, 18 degrees .... however Harvel has been know for a heat wave in the past ! 

Have a team from Runners' World this year ... they are to do a race report

Our helpers at the end will open the bottles of water for those that need help !    In the Village hall there's free tap water for all .... Hall will be open for changing (mixed) and toilets ... so there's no need to line the pockets of the Landlord of the Ammy  !!!

The grass has been cut in field used for parking so hopefully you will be able to find your car at the end !

Don't forget there's FREE BEER on request at the water station (Tins of Fosters & John Smiths)  

There's also the hash circle at 3.45pm with down downs (That's another excuse for a free beer!) 

Good luck on the day

OnOn

Ironman 

06/06/2008 at 11:22

Excellent stuff, IM.

I'll even overlook my prejudice against widget beer for once in my life and not complain (it would be churlish to, in the face of all this superb organisation), although I usually recoil in horror if anyone mentions 'John Smiths' in my vicinity. 

See you there!

06/06/2008 at 20:48

Boing te boing boing boing!!!  Seems to have slipped down pages so anyone for Victoria 11.33??  Will be there bearing bears.

On on!!!

07/06/2008 at 17:52

Just want to say loved it will be baack again next year...2nd time for me and beat last years time by about 4 minutes....

Lynn 

SWB
07/06/2008 at 18:17

What a great afternoon.  My 1st run for 6 weeks and even though my running partner and I were nearly at the back, (Nothing unusual there, even without any injury), we were cheered in luck the winners of the marathon.  Thanks to all who organised it and my partner enjoyed the beer at the water stop.  We will do it again next year and bring others with us to enjoy the mud, fund and beers!

Great Lynn the best one so far that you have recommended!

Happy birthday for next Thursday!

Sx

07/06/2008 at 23:09
Yes great run - met fellow hashers there and actually shaved 2 mins off last year's time (no huge acheivement given my speed!!)
08/06/2008 at 00:58

It was good run although it was really muddy in parts. I was slipping and sliding all over the place, running like I had something to drink already. There were a couple of runners I wasn't too pleased about splashing in the puddles. One old guy trying to cut across and splashing through a big puddle and later on at about 3 miles, some club runner splashing everywhere without any consideration for the guys he was passing. I got nicely soaked, thanks...

Other than that nicely scenic venue.  

08/06/2008 at 20:49

Whats a little mud between friends.....

Glad you enjoyed it Sis....see you soon and have a great birhtday yourself on Thursday.

Lynn .x. 

08/06/2008 at 21:31

Ironman and all at HHHH-thanks and congratulations for putting on a fantastic race !

I first entered in 1999 and you've managed to create a race that is really great fun and genuinely different !

I'll save the rest of the compliments for the "ratings" page,but you fully deserve the great turnout yesterday and I look forward to reading the review in "Runner's World".

The muddy conditions certainly made it different (I remember 1 or 2 years when the Country Park section was a "dustbowl") and in defence of the "splashers"-sometimes that's the only way to keep your footing when you run straight into a really wet,muddy section.

08/06/2008 at 21:55

Thank you for all you comments

I wasn't expecting 600 runners !  .... but we coped ... just about ! 

I thought the Police did an excellent job this year, especially considering the number of runners ... and our marsahals did thier normal good support

Another hot day in Harvel

Roll on 2009 !!

On On

IM 

PS draft results now on website www.HarvelH3.org and race photos on www.castwoodimages.co.uk

08/06/2008 at 22:05
That was brilliant i loved the mud it added humour to the run i found it in my eyebrows afterwards lol. It has to be my favourite run so far and i will definately enter next year. Thanks to all who organised it and well done.
08/06/2008 at 22:20

My 3rd year of running this and it was just as good as ever! Slick organisation but low-key, its a serious event that never takes iteself too seriously!

Well done to everyone who organised it, its an event every local runner needs to have in their diary.

Managed to beat last year's time, just, despite the slightly slippery conditions.

Roll on the N.Downs next week, see lots of you there.

09/06/2008 at 09:11

Great stuff guys, this is my no 1 fave race.  Can't wait til next year. 

Really enjoyed the puddles   Had great fun splashing through them

Happy birthday Lynn and SWB for Thursday

09/06/2008 at 14:15

Yes - agree - another great one. Always well organised, friendly & fun.

Special this year - my 16 year old lad ran his first race. I paced him all the way around and we were doing fine until about 300 metres from the finish line - little swine pulled out a blistering turn of speed and left me for dead. Pocket money reduced this week, obviously.......

Well done HHHH - looking forward to next year.

21 to 40 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.