The Run '10 - Northamptonshire

Great to see the Northampton 10K is back on the calendar.

81 to 90 of 90 messages
05/10/2010 at 22:07

I also did the run 10 on Sunday and my chip didn't work.  I am really peeved as my watch didn't start at the beginning so I don't know my time.  I tried it on the computer on site and I didn't register then, neither did a couple of others who were trying next to me. It seems like it may be a common problem.  I have emailed the organisers via the contacts link on the website and would urge others to do the same- they need to know about the problem and get some answers and recompense from the company providing the chips.  The event was hardly cheap, you would expect the chips to work - it's never happened to me before.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the run in my home town - much better organised than last year.

05/10/2010 at 22:45

much improved on last year; but still one problem unresolved.  I was 'running' (ahem) at the back of the 5K group and yet again was told to move out of the way for the 10K pace car, which was also having trouble passing some other people at the back of the 5K pack and pushing them out the way. 

I don't know why the 10K runners aren't set off first, I imagine it must be quite frustrating for the faster 10K runners to have to negotiate joggers/walkers at the begining of their race.  I tried to keep out of the way and with a wide course it wasn't too bad.  But after I made the turn I did see some slower 5K walkers being swamped by the mass of 10K people trying to get round them. 

I'm not sure why they need timing cars as everyone has chips and it's not an elite race.  The irony of it was the guy who won the 10K was so far ahead of the next placed person he was the only one who could even see the car!

Other than this it's a highly recommended race and one which I'll do again next year.

06/10/2010 at 06:50

You got overtaken by the 10k leader before the turn? Really?

I suspect the problem would be worsened with the 10k field setting off first, as the field is larger.

06/10/2010 at 07:39
I'm inclined to agree that the 10k pack is better off going when they do. If the 5k runners left 15 minutes after the 10k runners a lot more of the 10k poeple would end up fighting their way through the tailenders - albeit at the end of their race not the beginning - and it would get very messy.
Edited: 06/10/2010 at 07:39
06/10/2010 at 08:42

I know, you're probably right, I'm not sure how to solve it.  Maybe set everyone off together??

Or have a longer gap.  The problem is that it is advertised as run/walk/jog.  There were a lot of people in the 5K pack who are literally walking, most of whom are doing it for charity.  I think a gap of 30 mins would completely solve the problem, as even the slowest walkers could make the turn before the 10K pack

06/10/2010 at 09:00
I reckon an hour would nail it completely... Most walkers will complete that distance in around 50 minutes...
06/10/2010 at 09:16
absolutely ... would also mean that the 10K people could have more time in bed ... maybe I'll suggest that and then train for the 10K next year!!
07/10/2010 at 20:37

Reading some of the comments about last year i was a bit worried. Organisation turned out to be first class. Weather was incredibly kind. Enjoyed the course. I prefer lots of twists and turns to long straights where you can see people miles ahead of you.

The organisers seem to have taken on board last year's comments, and i'm sure they will with this years.

Maybe chips on ankle straps are more robust. Unusual to read of people having problems with them.

Beat my PB by 30 seconds. Definitely back next year.

08/10/2010 at 11:16
Just got an email from the organisers inviting us to feedback. A half marathon would be brilliant! I just wonder whether they could stretch to 13 miles of closed roads, there would probably be a lot of loops on the same stretches.
11/10/2010 at 16:15
The Run '10 is now on the RW website so you can add your ratings.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 90 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.