The "Toad Challenge" Thames Path Multi-stage Ultra

5 messages
07/07/2012 at 00:41
Hi there,
Thought I would start a new thread for 2012.
I am in training for this and am doing back to backs. However one of the runs is on the South Downs and is a trail/ hilly session which is hard but great at the same time.
Question is, how flat is the Toad Challeng as I am thinking ( if it is flat-ish) of doing the hilly long run every 2 weeks so I'm not over doing it,Mather than every week. Or is it still good to do the hardish hills to get used to them in prep for The Toad?
I thank you my learned distance runners.
07/07/2012 at 09:52

The Toad is really quite flat, there is a bit of a switchback just past Goring and a few minor climbs elsewhere.  As a personal matter of choice I would try and maintain the weekly hill sessions providing they don't knacker you too much.

13/07/2012 at 22:53
Fab!
I am still doing backs to backs on Monday and Tuesday with recovery day Wednesday.
Due to my training plan I have not, as yet got any triple back to backs......it is something I should be doing or shall I continue to do the mon and tue runs and that will be enough for me to get complete the Toad?
I am still doing a hilly Monday run on the South Downs and then the same mileage only on the flat on the Tuesday.
Or shall I say plan a few of the Monday Tuesday and Wednesday back to backs say every 4th week so I don't overdo it?
Also with back to backs I am dong the exact same mileage on the Monday and Tuesday, is that good or should I change the 2nd days mileage a little.
Many thanks my learned friends of distance running.
14/07/2012 at 12:06

Can't say I had a really coherent plan for my first multi day which was Druids so rather more difficult terrain.  I did back to backs with a long Saturday, slightly shorter Sunday and a long Wednesday and when I was peaking a hilly Friday.  Starting the 3 days with the hills was quite good as it meant I got used to starting my longest session on tired legs.  I am really mainly a walker though and tended to do most of my running on day 3 of the actual event as it used different muscles - obviously most people did the reverse.  I should see what works for you and if you feel a bit tired cut back for a week.

06/09/2012 at 22:34
Hello there,
Is there any advice regarding what hotelsyou are staying in if you are arriving on the Thursday?
I thank you in advancemy learned runners

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.