The Trionium Picnic Marathon

A triumph just to finish

201 to 220 of 233 messages
BRM
19/06/2011 at 13:12

Too many steps to count, Trev, and too many rivers to cross.

Peace in the valley now, innit?

BRM
19/06/2011 at 15:19
Ditto to all the comments .... Hardest, craziest, most bonkers, most satisfying to finish, most steps, least flat race I've ever done. And the singing of "God save the Queen" halfway up a hill was quite surreal. As were the submerged stepping stones. Almost felt like something out of Alice in Wonderland !
The support and comeradie among all the runners - full and half - was great. And I hope I thnked all the marshals at some point on the way round - cos they were legendary.
Helly D - good to see you again - hope u will be doing it next time. The sound of the cheering from that water point at the bottom of the hill (before the steps of doom) echoed for miles
Was aiming for sub-6, and very pleased to do 5:13, as my legs wouldn't have carried on for much longer.

Great running shirt, very good medal and I love the mug !!!! Really cannot fault anything.
GM
19/06/2011 at 21:02

Well done all of you lovely mad runners.

I thought I was mad volunteering to marshal but you were so appreciative and such an inspiration. And it's great being able to put faces to names on here.

GM
19/06/2011 at 21:34

Sheer madness yesterday. Having done the Picnic in 2009, I can't think what on earth possessed me to sample more of Dr Rob's medicine for nutters.

Luckily the storm stopped just before the start and the showers were only intermittent, but as others have said it made the stepping stones an interesting challenge to be followed by clambering up 200+ steps with sodden feet.

Still, I managed to get around in 4:53 which was a couple of minutes quicker than the previous attempt, despite taking a tumble down the slope at the far turnaround point and ending up with an impressive gash on my shin, followed by on-and-off cramp after coming up the steps for the third time (i.e. with a mere 12 miles to go!)

Chaz, great to catch up afterward - I managed to get to Brighton in one piece today, although anyone complaining about the hills in that one clearly hasn’t tried the Picnic.

Huge thanks to Dr Rob and the team, especially the marshals for standing out in the rain shouting encouragement. Special mention to the two guys on the bit where you have to run down the grass bank and then come back up it – you were brilliant.

I have promised my wife I won’t do the Picnic again, but I said that two years ago as well.

19/06/2011 at 22:30

Well done to all who took this on. I was glad to be huddling under the gazebo for a marshall's briefing when the rain hit. The finish looked fantastic (what little I saw of it) so I intend to give it a go next time. i still have no clue what most of the course entails but I now have 2 years to do a recce.. What's next inline?

Chaz -didn't recognise you in black but you looked to be coping well. and enjoying yourself  How did you do?

See you at Downland Ultra? I'm planning on walking / running from the station this time as I know the way.

Capricorn -good to see you, I knew you'd do well . What have you got lined up next?

20/06/2011 at 04:24

Just to say well done to all. This was my first Marathon and one that I nor my legs will ever forget!

Marshalls, you were great. I don't know who I love more you or the jelly babies you were handing out but both sets of   faces got me round the course when i thought I was never going to make it.

Will be back in 2 years time to take on the beast again. Hopefully with a few more boring, less undulating marathons in my legs. One day I dream of being able to do the London to Brighton the dy after such an event. Lorenzo you are my hero.

I managed to cut the grass and then collasped in a heap on my sofa.

20/06/2011 at 08:28

Yeah Lorenzo - I thought of you epsecially as I span up Ditchling yesterday at 8:30am........cycling is just SO easy - half the time = cruising along EFFORTLESSLY. (Not for Lorenzo I fear though).

Well done to all - I thoroughly enjoyed my marshalling pitch in the trees a short way beyond 'GM' (who probably still has a sore throat from her screaming support!) after the Eiger steps...tho I had a few long lonely stretches waiting for you slackers to come back around again . You were all awesome.

Now I've bagged a 'free' Trionium event....wonder what I'll use it on......

GM
20/06/2011 at 09:15
Hi Kipper, Well done on L2B. Thanks for your support on Saturday. Now  about that 'free' Trionium place... hmm
GM
20/06/2011 at 10:02
Kipper - was that you who was giving it the "Usain Bolt? Who's he?" - superb marshalling. You all did an amazing job, thanks.

20/06/2011 at 10:43

yeah, but don't let on I said it to EVERYONE

20/06/2011 at 10:52
lol
20/06/2011 at 10:55

Kipper- to be honest, it wasn't as bad yesterday as I thought it would be, although I'm aching a bit this morning. My legs held out going up Ditchling Beacon, though I was some way behind you.

Didn't really enjoy the first few miles, stopping at every other damn set of traffic lights, but I kept reminding myself that it was all in a good cause. Wonderful views from the top and then the descent into Brighton.

Might treat myself to a new bike as a reward for all the effort!

Thanks again to you and all the other marshals for braving the elements on Saturday - what was going through your head when the storm broke at 1.30?!

20/06/2011 at 12:00

Kipper- Great marshalling, you truly did help on the way back for the final time, at least till I got to the bottom of the eiger steps.

I even gave you a mention to my friends at the finish, along the lines of, some madman was hiding in the trees calling me Usain Bolt, did you see him? or was I hallucinating?

Big thanks to all the marshalls, you were all magnificent, maybe see you again in 2 years

20/06/2011 at 13:44

Great marshalling all round, what a race!!!! Hope the Hawaiian shirt brought some brightness when the clouds came round, absolutely stunning course and loved the stepping stones.

A big hello to all and see you at the Greensand.    

20/06/2011 at 14:28

Loved the shirt Iain!  Made me smile

I had an awesome day, the storm heightened my nerves and anticipation but ultimately brought a better sense of teamspirit with all the runners.

The marshalls, you were awesome - having my name on my marmite top was a good call, I am indebted to your support.  From the wisecracks, the advice, the cheers and the volume - you were all brilliant.

It was great to be able to cheer runners on in the opposite direction, although a bit unnerving in the very narrow tree passage.  Everything I want to say has already been seen, except - thanks for the carrots, i loved them! 

That last downhill felt like the best sprint in my life!  And Capricorn your cheeriness was unending, when I saw you I couldnt help grinning. 

Thanks Dr and all the rest of you for a fabulous day (and my first first!) - (my legs might not feel the same way though....)

20/06/2011 at 14:57

P.s. Hi Dr Rob and everyone else, quick question, does anybody know where there is a course run through or elevation graph for this route?? people keep asking me so they can walk it or run it. I can remember most of it but some of the little tracks I can't place.

Any help much appreciated.

20/06/2011 at 15:03

Hi Iain.

Here's my run on Garmin connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93253059 

The profile is horrific!

20/06/2011 at 15:19

Thanks Chimney

Thats perfect, sure I can figure it out from that. (see what you mean about the profile lol)

20/06/2011 at 17:57
Iain - lovely bright cheerful flappy shirt, I did grin to myself each time I saw you The whole day was so crazy that nothing seemed out of the ordinary ! I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if a pink elephant ran past.
Katiecom - awesome strong run - well earned 1st 1st

Its been hard trying to explain what it was like to the non-running mortals at work commenting on my hobbling - "well I did this race on Saturday, and it was really hilly and the were lots of steps ..... " .
You had to be there on the day.
20/06/2011 at 21:55
I find "hardest marathon in the UK" works quite well, but then they ask "and how long was your marathon this time?"
201 to 220 of 233 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.