The Yorkshire Marathon

can I do 2 marathons in one year?

11 messages
09/01/2013 at 16:41

I heard yesterday there is to be a marathon in York on Oct 20th. It is my home town and I would love to enter! But I am currently training for the Marathon of the North on April 28th. I said I would do one marathon a year (I am on my 2nd after Manchester last year) and I wondered if anyone could share there experience of doing a spring and Autumn marathon. I am concerned about training through the hot (?) summer months and how to keep up the running and training between the 2. After Manchester I kept up my running and did the Tatton half in Nov. My family think I am mad but the draw of York is so tempting! Any advice from RW members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

09/01/2013 at 17:06

I completed 2 last year, the Hull marathon on Easter Sunday and then the Liverpool in October. I didnt feel any adverse effects.

I would say one you've done the 1st marathon you perhaps dont quite need to put in the same hours each week once you've reached that level of fitness, however I would say you must keep up the long runs at the weekend to keep your body conditioned for long distances.

09/01/2013 at 17:19

Thank you Sean, for your helpful advice

09/01/2013 at 17:43

I did my first 2 marathons last year, first in May (Cape Wrath) followed by Loch Ness at end of September. I've been running 2 years now and aged 55. Don't have the same problem of hot summer months here (Orkney) but I managed a 40 minute "improvement" between the two given that Cape Wrath is a tougher course. I did do 5 halves over 2012 too. Loch Ness was certainly a lot easier.
I think this is supportive of what Sean has said.

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 17:44
09/01/2013 at 20:00
Lily - great to hear from you again - I did 2 for the first time last year - Manchester and Luton (November) and was OK with that. Have to say I am also tempted by Yorkshire one as well as Manchester
10/01/2013 at 11:26

Thanks Other Half- are you doing any marathons this year?

Cake-thanks for helpful advice. Where do I find the Shades thread?

BP- good to hear from you. I appreciated your support and advice on the GMM thread last year I decided on a change from GMM this year as I could not really face returning! It did not put me off marathons but was a tough day! On the point of signing up for York. So thrilled we are going to have a marathon and don't want to miss out on this historic occasion!

10/01/2013 at 12:31

thanks for the info Cake.

...................just put in my entry for York. I have heard the places are filling up fast, over 3500 and the limit is 5000. So that prompted me to act quickly!

10/01/2013 at 12:33

Well done Lily may have to make a decision tonight

11/01/2013 at 13:22

I'd been mulling over entering this but Lily's post and media reports of the excellent take up has prompted a decision - I'm in!!

11/01/2013 at 13:26

Me too just entered today!!

11/01/2013 at 14:52
Just read on Facebook the York marathon is now full. Glad BP and Andrew that you have places. It will be brilliant!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.