Think fun, friends and laughter!

Join Cancer Research UK's Pretty Muddy event!

21 to 30 of 30 messages
25/07/2013 at 12:23

And you're entitled to your opinion. But you did say above 'please pay for your advertising'.

25/07/2013 at 12:30

Who's outraged?  Certainly not me, I was just expressing my opinion that if they can afford to pay £20k pa for an admin assistant then spamming a race on a free forum - when they may or may not have to pay for the advertising, which being such a huge business, if they did have to pay they could easily negotiate a media package with Rodale - seems a little bit of a cynical act.  Add to that their use of people's personal cancer related experiences also appears to be cynically (cack) handled, I would choose not to support this particular event organiser. 

25/07/2013 at 12:36

All of that is your prerogative. I don't think they're cynical, personally. I think they play the game, that's all. I'm happier for people to earn money raising money for a great cause like this than moving paper money around in the City, for example. There are things about the charity world itself that wind me up far more: how, for example, do private schools and religions manage to retain charity status and the attendant tax reliefs when (particularly in the former case) they do very very little at all that could be described as charitable.

25/07/2013 at 12:36
How come none of the entry fee goes to charity? Especially as 15 is a lot for a 5k with no chip timing.

A local charity in my area manages to charge 10 and still manages to give some of that to charity.
25/07/2013 at 12:46

Dunno. But do you think it's doing something dodgy?

I think people should look at the accounts http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/what-we-do/annual-report-and-accounts/

It says 82 per cent of its fundraised income goes to its cause area. That's fairly typical of any charity, I believe.

Edited: 25/07/2013 at 12:48
25/07/2013 at 12:54

I started off running at R4L and the relaxed atmosphere was a great way to start running/exercising.  The benefit of R4L is not just the fundraising but also encouraging people to be fit.  I think though that there should be corresponding mens events.  I however feel R4L is a springboard for most runners, once you have moved onto running more mainstream races R4L just seems like an expensive training run.  It has it's place as a no pressure event for beginners, maybe more events like this would help more people to start exercising.

I have moved on from R4L and have recently supported H4H with my running.  I like their approach whereby all money raised from selling merchandise goes to the admin and advertising leaving any money from sponsorship for the charity.  This openness and honesty should be emplyed by all charities.

25/07/2013 at 12:55

20k doesn't seem that massive a salary for a full-time admin job.

Also, organising local races can be quite cheap because you know the area and know people to borrow stuff off etc. My club organises a cheap local race (not for charity but we do make a small profit which we put back into the club) and we don't have many of the costs listed because we borrow the venue, don't have to close roads, we borrow tables, chairs, water containers, don't have medals, race packs, t-shirts etc., advertise by handing out entry forms at our local parkrun, and store any equipment we have in someone's garage. It's much harder to do that as a national organisation trying to put on a slickly organised event that will appeal to a wide audience of people who don't necessarily just want to do a few laps of a muddy park down the back of the local football club.*

*NB. our race is a bit better than that.

25/07/2013 at 12:59
literatin wrote (see)

20k doesn't seem that massive a salary for a full-time admin job.

Really?  My last admin post (NHS) was full time and paid less than that, and that was me at the top of my grade, next step was a managerial post that paid only slightly more (£22K iirc)!

25/07/2013 at 13:02

oops, sorry - just meant not in the realms of profligacy.

seren nos    pirate
25/07/2013 at 13:09

there are thousands of charities in this country which organise so many events........if they all just come on here and advertise their races when they want to and all their other events then it would soon clog up the firums....#

Can you imagine it at certain times before the London marathon.......it would be a charity free for all....

all the big ones know now that they shouldn't spam us...so not sure why Race for life does.

and yes £15 with a 1000 runners in a park with no policing costs and no chips and a finish line that is taken form race to race.......and yet there is still not a penny left form the £15,000 for the one event to put towards cancer research/..........I really can't figure the maths....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.