Three Forts Marathon

1 to 20 of 54 messages
26/02/2012 at 08:32
Who's up for this? It certainly is tough, but the scenery is stunning - not that I am biased, of course! Only aspect of the route that I am not so keen on - apart from the steep climbs - is the out-and-back to the Dyke, but this would be difficult to avoid if all 3 Forts are to be included.
26/02/2012 at 09:42
maybe tempted by the half
26/02/2012 at 10:27
I'm in did it last year didnt mind the out and back and the views make all worth while.
26/02/2012 at 13:44

I am doing it with a vengance this year. Only the half, but i  had to walk one or two bits last year, since i went a bit too fast to start with, and didnt appreciate the hills, and there are lots of them. But i know whats coming up now, and i cant wait to do it. Wish it was 6th May now. Its a hard race, but very enjoyable.

For anyone not done it. My advice is, take it slow and consistent, wear something very light since it gets very hot out there, and bring your own water. And dont worry about your time. If you can do it without stopping, walking at all, then you are doing well. It is bloody hard, but it is a beast that one must face.

26/02/2012 at 15:15
Sounds like a great race, I think i'm in although i'm not to keen on hills but do like a challenge !!!
27/02/2012 at 08:39
I've done it several times and, unless you are an elite runner, it can be counter-productive to try and run all the hills. The really steep parts are all relatively short and I try and view them as an opportunity for a few minutes walking that you don't get with a road marathon. Once at the top - your legs having benefited from a change of action - you can really take off! 
27/02/2012 at 16:17

I will not try to run the hills, but will just keep on jogging, even if it is a slow pace. I hear what your saying though. Good advice.

26/03/2012 at 12:43

My favourite Marathon.

I'll be there!

04/04/2012 at 10:56
I'm in again - full marathon of course
04/04/2012 at 14:33
I'll be there too, number 6 I think.
15/04/2012 at 16:41
Done the half a few years ago and now for the Marathon
16/04/2012 at 08:20
Dressed as a gorilla I hope
Suffolk Punch    pirate
16/04/2012 at 08:41

I'm up for the marathon! WIll be my first fully off road marathon.

Strategy will be to walk the hills and try and run as much of the rest as possible, but mainly to keep moving forward the whole time.

17/04/2012 at 08:12
Just run the Brighton full yesterday and considering running the half Have done lots of hill work in training over truleigh hill and the dyke. Hopefully should be manageable. Does anyone know if this half is tougher than the steyning stinger half?
18/04/2012 at 09:35

I'd say pretty similar to the Stinger, hopefully with better weather but no cooked breakfast.

Cheers - Raymond

19/04/2012 at 23:14

Hello Suffolk Punch - I remember you trying to help me sort out my transport problems to Halstead a couple of years ago You have a good strategy there.

I've done it the last two years and I don't mind the out and back to Devil's Dyke as it's a good turning point cos it's uphill, turn around, downhill.  

Hmmm Ghostrider, it wasn't that hot in 2010 ,  I came down those last two miles like a downhill skier as I was so desperate to finish before I succumbed to hypothermia.That was possibly the only negative split I have ever done.

Great race.  

Guy
19/04/2012 at 23:39
Can anyone offer a comparison between this and the Greensands Marathon? I did the Greensands last October, in just over 4:30. It was great fun, but thanks to the 70 minute cut-off to get up Leith Hill, I set off too fast, and ended up with a massive positive split of 2:00 for the first half, and 2:30 for the second half. My Garmin recorded climb/descent of a bit over 3,000 feet for Greensands, so on paper the races look pretty similar.

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on how the two compare, so that I can try and pace this one better.
20/04/2012 at 09:22
Oh crikey Helly, I remember 2010 as it just poured with rain from start to finish and I fell over on a slippery downhill bit and skinned my left hand! At the finish the first aid tent was full of people wrapped in foil 'cos they'd been underdressed for the cold weather.

Guy, sorry but I haven't done the Greensands marathon but I do know Leith Hill
23/04/2012 at 11:44

Weather can't be any worse than it was for the Stinger this year..........can it ????

Not done this one before but as it's local I'll be there. Really looking forward to getting back to a proper run after plodding the streets of Brighton and Hove last week

23/04/2012 at 22:14

I felt sorry for those marshalling in 2010. At the Chanctonbury waterstation the full cups of water were just being blown straight off the table by the wind which had joined the freezing rain to make it a memorable event.

Guy - I've done both this and Greensands but I find it hard to compare . I think Greensands would be trickier in bad weather and has some narrower and more frequent ups and downs but a lovely almost downhill last quarter whereas 3 forts has long  stretches of typical South Downs chalk trail and is a mile longer.

1 to 20 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.