Torbay Half Marathon

Excellent event! Not to be missed....

1 to 20 of 69 messages
10/03/2005 at 14:45
I run last years Torbay half marathon and thought it was excellent, from the pre race atmosphere at the start to the prize giving at the end. It is a great day out for all the family, as there was a fun run!

I think the whole event is different to other half marathon's because it starts and finishes on Paignton seafront and with the sunshine it makes you feel like you running an oversea event.

Car parking was a bit diffcult but no a big problem and there was more well organised drink stations on the course.

I'm doing it again this year on June 26th with 4 other mates and our girlfriends are doing the 1 mile fun run!!....
10/03/2005 at 15:10

I ran last year's Torbay Half Marathon and thought it was excellent, from the pre- race atmosphere at the start to the prize giving at the end. It is a great day out for all the family, as there is also a fun run!

I think the whole event is different to other half's because it starts and finishes on Paignton seafront and with the sunshine, it makes you feel like your running an oversea's event.

Car parking was a bit difficult but no a big problem and there was many well organised drink stations on the course.

I'm doing it again this year, on June 26th, with 4 other mates and our girlfriends...they are doing the 1 mile fun run!
10/03/2005 at 15:46
Is there an echo in here :)
10/03/2005 at 16:14
I shan't do this race again, horrible course, t-shirt unwearable (too large) and a loan required for the rip off parking charges for the multi storey car park.

Usually the organisers email me with an entry form and to tell me about the beautiful scenic course - sorry, but they need to get out more and they need to learn a bit more about course design.
11/03/2005 at 22:22
Shades

Just because you don't like it, others may. I quite liked the doubling back, seeing the lead runners & tail enders a couple of times. Made it all very sociable.

Having said all that, I'm currently thinking of Dartmmor Vale Marathon, so unlikely to run Torbay this year. They really are too close together.

12/03/2005 at 10:06
90mins - I like seeing the other runners, but once is enough, not twice.

DMV is 7 days apart from Torbay, plenty of rest time!
12/03/2005 at 11:35
A week may be enough for a multi-marathoner like you Shades, but I needed a good couple of weeks after FLM. Expect Mrs 90 may run & I'll spectate.

Dan - You wouldn't be related to David by any chance?
12/03/2005 at 18:23
You too will be a multi marathoner by then and you'll find your needed recovery time will shorten.

The first year of DMV which started at 9am I had finished my previous marathon at 6pm the day before, I was a bit tired though, but I put that down to the drive home the previous night!
14/03/2005 at 15:56
What a great way to injure yourself 'Shades'. I'm sure that after becoming a multi-marathoner reduces your recovery time but one day? Even a week is pushing it!
14/03/2005 at 16:53
Didn't have any injuries. Have done the triple twice with no injuries either. I do between 20 to 25 marathon/ultras a year. I will probably get injured one day, more likely by tripping over the cat!
15/03/2005 at 12:29
How do you bend over to tie your shoe laces, you must be as tight a they come.
15/03/2005 at 12:37
?
23/03/2005 at 13:31
LOL SAM!! I have entered race and i cant see what the problem is. If you dont like a race it is a personal decision, but when i see someone going on about the course as much as this it seems like someone is using it as an excuse for their own poor performance. And after all what is the Freudian interpretation for someone who boasts about bigger and better??
23/03/2005 at 14:29
Freud - if you're refering to me, I actually did my best half marathon time of the year at this event.

I just get annoyed when it's advertised as an attractive course etc etc, when it's not. It's just a shame that in lovely Devon a better route can't be used.
23/03/2005 at 16:39
But it is a nice route I use it every day. so i guess the athletic club would refer to it as scenic. As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

By the way congrats for your p.b.
Symes    pirate
23/03/2005 at 17:01
From what I remember of the area does the course go past the gasometer 4 times? If so then other than that it seems to be fairly scenic. Living as far from the coast as it is possible to do it will make a nice change for me, plus any supporters get to sit on the prom at Preston Sands and watch us go by lots of times!!

If the old Beetle makes it there I'll be there!
23/03/2005 at 18:52
Aren't they going to pull down the gasometer? Not sure what will be there in it's place.
23/03/2005 at 20:38
Trans co have sold the land and there is a big debate going on at the moment as the developers want to put a housing estate in the land instead.
22/04/2005 at 08:45
Just entered for this one :)

nice to see the usual group are here :)

Hello everyone...
22/04/2005 at 09:05
Hello AC ;)
1 to 20 of 69 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.