Tough Guy 2003

Mud and freezing water...

1 to 20 of 40 messages
04/10/2002 at 10:59
This is my first post so please be gentle with replies....

Is anyone planning on taking part in Tough Guy in January 2003? I've done it twice before in 1999 and 2000 and can't wait to do it for the 3rd time. Anyone done it in the last couple of years and know of any changes that have been made to the course?
04/10/2002 at 12:36
I haven't done this course but I take my hat off to all who has! I have seen the race on TV and wow you people are mad!
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
04/10/2002 at 12:52
where do I get details? you used my middle name LK MAD
04/10/2002 at 13:53
Check out the website www.toughguy.co.uk for more details. It's run by a crazy guy called Mr Mouse who seems to take joy in making the course as hard as possible.

It's held near Wolverhampton on the last Sunday of January. Next years event is on the 26th Jan 2003.

Amazing atmosphere and incredible obstacle course make it a great event.
06/10/2002 at 20:47
I'd love to do it, but am very 'height'ophobic, which has prevented me from entering in the past I understand that participants will cross high bridges etc. If so, does anyone know how high and how many of what type?
06/10/2002 at 22:50
What the heck !! I've printed off the form, and I'm gonna go for it ! Mind over matter !
07/10/2002 at 08:37
Nice one Multi

your achievement will be even greater when you finish for overcoming yourself as well as those little obstacles thingies.
cougie    pirate
07/10/2002 at 16:19
I've entered too, very foolish of me.

ToughGuy - what tips can you give US !?
09/10/2002 at 17:04
I've done the race for three years now. This will be my fourth winter TG.

You are going to love it to bits. Last year was a bit easy as the temperature was very high at about 7C. The year before though was a nightmare as the temp was -3C. This really makes it a problem as Mr Mouse loves to keep you wet.

If there was one tip I could offer it would be to do the run as fast as you can. This means you get onto the killing fields early and don't end up behind a load of people going over the obstacles. This means less hanging around and so less likelyhood of getting v cold. That said you will still manage to shake 90% of your celebratory cup of tea all over the floor.

As to changes in the course, there are now large walls of hay that need to be climbed. It can be difficult but in line with true TG spirit everyone will help you get up and over.

PK

09/10/2002 at 17:41
Do women do it - or is it strictly 'no girls allowed' event?
09/10/2002 at 17:49
It is very mixed. Not 50/50 but better than most road races I've done. The start is not just populated with scrawny looking blokes in vests. If you fancy a mad one I'd recommend it without doubt.

You will never enjoy a jelly baby so much as when you come out of the Viet Cong tunnels! (You'll know what I mean when you've done it)

PK

09/10/2002 at 19:22
I'm very tempted. Whereabouts is it? I love being wet, muddy and bedraggled, must be something I missed out on in childhood. Only thing is, we'd need forum wetsuits to recognise each other by the sounds of it.

Off to look at the site now.
09/10/2002 at 22:08
Hi all, I have never done this but my hubby did it in 1991. It looked bad enough then and freezing cold. Mud everywhere but I beleive it has changed a lot - for the worse - much harder. Hubby even managed to break 2 fingers as he went over the cargo net and down the rope on the other side. Bit too dangerous for me.
09/10/2002 at 22:35
Sounds like a great challenge, any one who fancies a challenge try the milatary challenge. No it's not as tough as TG, and you don't have to be mad or that fit.
cougie    pirate
10/10/2002 at 10:57
Anyone got any tips on NOT breaking fingers ?
10/10/2002 at 20:22
I've done the T G twice now but only the summer one( I know I'm a bit of a wimp )I did go along to watch the winter one once and there was ICE on the lake and there was hypothermia everywhere so thanks but no thanks.don't expect to much from the showers as they are a event all in them selves.
17/10/2002 at 21:59
Got my confirmation of entry through today (damn !), together with some interesting photos, including some effing nutta doing it in just an 'athletic support' and woolly hat. Would someone mind explaining why several people are wearing marigolds?
18/10/2002 at 10:34
You dont want to know. Just dont bend over.
18/10/2002 at 16:05
just thank your lucky stars you don't have to carry a eight foot wooden cross or wear a kilt, look out for the electric fence
18/10/2002 at 16:51
Any advice on clothing and/or footwear for the event?
1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.