Tough Guy in a wetsuit?

Is running the Tough Guy in a wetsuit a good way to stay warm or a duff idea?

261 to 265 of 265 messages
09/02/2010 at 21:18
Almost as absurd as doing a marathon in fancy dress!
01/01/2012 at 16:16

Hello again. 427 posts later after starting this thread.... I did Tough Guy, it was a doddle compared to wading through this lot.. For the record, it was a flippin FREEZING day, and I am glad to report that you lot who thought a wet-suit would be a duff idea were badly mistaken. I wore one (ok, I know that misses the point, but I am not very tough, more like a delicate spring flower than Spartacus), it was lovely and toasty warm and I felt pretty smug after all the enforced head-freezes that I didn't have hypothermia.

So if you got it, wear it.

THE END

I know this is an older thread but I wonder if you could tell me whay type of wetsuit you wore for the race?

02/01/2012 at 09:51
I've done 5 Tough Guys all from front squad both in a short leg wetsuit and normal running gear, one year of madness in a thong. I can tell you what makes all the difference is some kind of thermal headwear.Either a neoprene cap or a couple of layers of swimming caps. Also neoprene gloves to both keep the hand warm ad for protection.

The cold is easy to deal with, but putting your unprotected head multiple times under freezing cold water makes you feel like you have been hit in the head with a shovel.

If you're thinking of wearing a full wetsuit, and think you can run a couple of miles in it I say go for it. Just make sure no one can see it or you'll be abused for however long it takes to get around.
02/01/2012 at 15:48

I am not familiar with the TG race . I did the Tough Mudder in November at 42 degrees, it was 10 miles with water hazards about every 3/4 of a mile or so. Due to the number of runners, lines began to slow at the obstacles (40 of them) so time was spent waiting and turned what should have been a 1 1/2 hour or so run into 2 1/2 hours of exposure. In short it was damn cold. I suppose that that is the point though.I was considering the neoprene cap and gloves with the under standing that the glove will not likely survive the run.Thanks for the input.

02/01/2012 at 23:14
I'll be doing Tough Guy for the 11th time this year. Even if it is quite cold, say below 3-4 degrees celsius, the initial run before you seriously get into water warms you up. The key is to keep dry as long as possible and don't heroically splash about! Keep ahead of the main pack so as to avoid bottlenecks, which is when you get really cold. I don't think a wetsuit is required.. just keep moving at all costs. Probably best to have your knees covered by leggings (useful for crawling bits) and don't politely queue at obstacles behind ditherers.. just go around them and saunter forth!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
261 to 265 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.