TrailWalker 2007

Provisionally 14th July

221 to 240 of 273 messages
15/07/2007 at 16:15
i missed Bear as well!!!

we must have been there at the same time but i was wandering about trying to find lizzie and getting soldiers to carry my bags for eand i didn't realise you lot were so speeeedy
so i didn't think to look

15/07/2007 at 16:23
Bear and Josie left just a little before we did, Lurker.

I suspect Slowboy's little toe this morning was worse than anything you had to deal with. I think we may just about have managed to salvage most of it.
15/07/2007 at 16:45
ew!!

:-)
15/07/2007 at 18:58

No gruesome tales of Foot Carnage, lurker

C'mon, there MUST be some
;o)
15/07/2007 at 19:13
No way was I going to take any photos of those dodgy looking feet at CP4! ;o)
15/07/2007 at 19:26
I could take some now, if you like, and post them up here?

Race report to come, once I've finished lancing my remaining blisters.

Current score - two fettled by V-Rap, two which burst themselves on route (one of which I actually felt pop - quite an odd sensation), leaving four worth dealing with.

Nail count - the one that was pre-blacked looks like it'll be ok. The one on the toe that Raptor sorted - RIP. One big toenail plus two others - prognosis unfavourable.

Such is Trailwalker. It's part of why we all love it.
15/07/2007 at 20:10
my lips are sealed by a vow of confidentiality

but

there was one lad who had worn nice thick wooly socks and trainers

a few more miles and he would have had trench foot
bottom of his foot was all macerated

15/07/2007 at 20:13
i saw a few nice blisters
but i reckon the people who were there later in the day would be seeing "better" ones

although saying that
my replacement didn't turn up at 6 like they were supposed to so i didn't get out till 7
and when i wandered by at 9.45 after my snooze in the car all i could see in there were physio's doing massage
so not a great showing from the pods
15/07/2007 at 20:20
The only time I've ever had blisters was after TW2003, when my feet were constantly soaking wet from 20 miles till I stopped just past 40 miles, and then for several hours after than while I waited for my XH and the team he was supporting to arrive. Most of the soles of my feet came off.
15/07/2007 at 20:42
this lad was just running along in his own sweat
he didn't need it to rain

did you get woken by the storm?
it was pretty impressive
massive claps of thunder and torrrential rain
must have been nasty for the people out in it
15/07/2007 at 21:02

What storm..?
Was tucked up in bed
:o)
15/07/2007 at 21:04
it really was impressive actually
like something from a film
thunder andlightning almost at the same second andthen a a downpour of hard rain

just as a couple of soldiers came into my room
they were relieved to have missed it and said thay had been watching coming in from the sea

15/07/2007 at 21:16
It was odd - I woke up this morning, had brekkie, went to the gym, and thought "There are people who started alongside you guys who are only just finishing now".

Josie and I were both glad to get to bed well before midnight.

It was tiring for entirely different reasons to previous years.
15/07/2007 at 23:15

Bear - We had a similar discussion on the way back home in the car, after 8 hours sleep, a leisurely cooked breakfast and some 'surgery' to Slowboy's feet!

And it sounds like Brighton had a bit of a shaking in the night too!

Must have been quite localised, lurker, because there was nothing like that where we were staying!
16/07/2007 at 08:48
What an amazing event that was! the team - all seven - worked fantastically well. On Sunday morning I was having similar thoughts to the others - there will be people still on their feet and I bet they hurt.

If my blisters are OK then I'll be running (carefully) up to the club tomorrow evening just so I can show off a bit and do some fundraising.

(toenail tales - I am going to lose one, it was floating on a blister)

16/07/2007 at 19:35
I've followed some of the posts on this site for inspiration and help in the run up to trailwalk 2007...

As someone who finished in 26 hours I can tell you just what is was like to walk through the storm...

UNPLEASANT!

The track into Lewis and CP9 turned to sticky, thick mud in places and in others it became a rivers sludge.

Still all 8 of us (two work teams) came through it unscathed and staggered over the line just after midday on Sunday.

If you ran, you have my respect!
16/07/2007 at 20:27
Well done, JDinho :o) Getting all 8 of you through is a tremendous achievement.

In 2003 we walked from just before CP4 until pulling out at CP7 in storms and it was vile. Wet chalk isn't pleasant underfoot, and that lovely grassy track just before CP6 was treacherously slippery.

16/07/2007 at 20:43
for some reason my husband thinks this sounds great and has taken the info sheet into work to see if he canget a team together for next year

i will not let him read this thread

16/07/2007 at 21:00
Well done JDinho!

To get two teams through in minging weather is a great achievement.
16/07/2007 at 22:35
Well done JDinho!
26 hours on your feet and coping with the conditions you describe is a fantastic achievement.
Hats off to you.
:o)
221 to 240 of 273 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.