triandrun Ballbuster Duathlon

Saturday 12th November

1 to 20 of 60 messages
09/03/2005 at 18:14

Anyone seen 'Zilla?
23/03/2005 at 08:41
I'm thinking about this - I can't do anything at the moment but it would be a target.

How accurate are the distances? A lot of the times seem super super speedy
23/03/2005 at 13:56
I might try this when it comes round too. I bottled it last year. Just how steep is Box Hill? It is a bit pricey though, especially as they recommend staying over the night before.
23/03/2005 at 16:49
can't be arsed with this again this year.
last year i said i wouldnt do it again until my marathon time was quicker than my BB time.

box hill isnt terribly steep, just a bit of a drag.
12/07/2005 at 23:12
Entries now open!! Bring it on!!
15/08/2005 at 07:07
Definitely interested in taking on this challenge. The running part holds no terrors - it can't be tougher than a marathon unless ultra bunny is bullshitting about box hill :-) But the cycling is unknown territory - have't spent that long on a bike in 20 years! Any tips?
15/08/2005 at 08:49
still not doing it :-)

certainly equivalent to marathon i reckon badger... although i stand to be shouted down for that ;-)
18/08/2005 at 16:28
Unknown territory for me as well, Badger. I'll be cycling the course in a few weeks time after the New Forest Half marathon to see how I feel. Will report back then!!
19/08/2005 at 12:41
Excellent! Started training on the bike this week, and been shocked just what a difference the hills make. Of course, as a runner you know that a hilly course will always be slower than a flat one but for me at least the penalty on uphills seems to be much greater when cycling. I guess that makes sense as you have to push the weight of the bike up the hill as well, but it's obvious that I need to do a lot more hill work in the next 2 months. If Box Hill really is a killer, I'll have to adjust my target time significantly so all feedback appreciated!
19/08/2005 at 14:00
Get that entry in, Badger, as it closed pretty early last year. Think about the training afterwards! You've heard rumours about Boxhill so just start riding lots of hills NOW!!

Put it this way, fast guys normally do the 25m bike leg of a standard duathlon in around an hour, the winner at last years Ballbuster done the 24m in 1:15!!

Watch this space for further updates.
19/08/2005 at 16:25
Entry posted. Bike serviced. Local hill identified. Vaseline stockpiled. Proper training starts sunday. Next debate - is it better to run in cycling shorts or cycle in running shorts?
19/08/2005 at 18:18
How much pain can you stand? You can buy triathlon shorts which have less padding than normal cycle shorts, which therefore offers protection from the saddle and still allows for easy running.

However, given a choice between cycling in running shorts or running in cycling shorts I'd definitely go for the latter.
20/08/2005 at 21:24
Definitely feels weird with all that padding - not used to that much going on between my legs when i'm running!! Gonna try a gel saddle with running shorts tomorrow to see if that feels more comfortable.
21/08/2005 at 17:49

Well, Badger? How was it without the padding? I bet you were calling home for someone to bring out your padded shorts after 2 miles, hey!!

I completed a 8m/36m/6m at <70% in 4:50 today just to see how much work is required to do sub-4 for this. I think it'll be a close call but I'm still going for it!!
21/08/2005 at 19:55
It wasn't as bad as I thought - i was using a fairly up and down route, and on the downhills you get the chance to stand up off the saddle a bit which eases things. Gonna continue experimenting with both approaches to see which works best for me.

I'm aiming for sub 4 hours as well (subject to your feedback on box hill!) and even though my cycling is very weak my bike time over a half marathon today suggests that should be an achievable goal. Still have to find out if I'm capable of running afterwards though!
31/08/2005 at 18:19
Does anyone know if you can do this as a team of 2?
31/08/2005 at 18:27
I'm signed up and can't wait - hoping to improve on my last years time of 4:00,12

It's a great course as most of it is down hill :-)

31/08/2005 at 18:32

I so love a positive thinking woman!!

Lindi, will you marry me?
31/08/2005 at 18:35
I'll think about it.... if you break 4 hours ;-)

31/08/2005 at 18:59
That's all the incentive I need, girl!!
1 to 20 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.