Triathlon, my first but definitely not my last!

21 to 34 of 34 messages
23/09/2002 at 11:24
Well done Hilly.
I'd love to give it a go,but I too can't swim - had lessons to quash my fear of water so I can now splash around and do about 4 strokes - but as I've posted elsewhere I'm giving duathlons a go next year if I can.
I think you should be very proud of yourself, well done again!
23/09/2002 at 15:47
Thanks all for words of praise.

Triathlon boy, the tri was at Wimborne in Dorset.

Laura L, I always wondered too how the transitions worked, but surprisingly they aren't that complicated and apart from turning to run out the wrong entrance I managed ok. Well done to your friend, I too fancy adventure races-will this need for sport ever end?

Nessie, I really do recommend swim lessons. I couldn't even put my face in the water before taking them and I've only had about 10. I can now swim fine, bbut need to do more to get faster and build up my endurance in the water.

Martin H, as above to Nessie, the answer must lie in swim lessons.

Iron Man, I'm intending to swim every Saturday through the winter to try and improve my endurance in the water.

Sft legs, back to the mud it is, but I don't mind I love x.country!

Wild Will, I'm addicted but only to fast twitch ones.

Susannah Stewart, I too do not like steep down hills on the bike but the more I've been going out on my bike this summer, the less I seem to fear. I've fallen off and for a while this made me a little nervous and I don't like the traffic.

Dustin, 4 strokes is good-have to start somewhere! Good luck with the duathlons.
23/09/2002 at 16:06
Susannah,
There are no hills to cycle up or down in the South where I do most of my triathlons. The only triathlon with a real hill I've was Stratford Upon Avon which is a great triathon and has a shorter distance for the swim and run for the novice.
It is addictive, and there is always something expensive for the bike to make you go that little bit quicker.
Ratbag    pirate
23/09/2002 at 16:13
Well done Hilly.

I'm starting to feel a little bit inspired. As with many, I don't fancy the swimming much but if it's not too far then I guess I could give it a whirl.

Strangely, I spent the weekend biking to save my kness a bit and started to think about the Tri possibility.

Definitely more pool training required though..

All the best,

RB
23/09/2002 at 16:17
To all those inspired - I is definitely worth the effort of getting into triathlon. It can be a little intimidating at first, as triathletes seem to be a serious bunch. I think the concept of Fun Triathlon (like Fun Run) need some development. Only down side is that triathlons tend to be on the more expensive side.
23/09/2002 at 17:31
Well done Hilly and glad you enjoyed your first tri outing so much.

RB - how's the knee? I did the pre-run ibuprofen on Sunday and didn't have any major twinges from my knee in the whole 1/2m. Think resting it in the week before hand really helped.
23/09/2002 at 20:24
Hope the knees are feeling a bit better RB! I've heard that triathletes get less run related injuries due to the cross training required for their sport. Mind with 3 disciplines I suppose there is the risk of different kinds of injuries for each.

Chris Hall I agree that triathlons are quite expensive, but I certainly didn't find any of the athletes intimidating. Maybe because in a pool swim we are put with swimmers of similar ability with the faster ones going later.
24/09/2002 at 11:36
Iā€™m hoping to do a tri next year but like most responses on this thread I need to concentrate on developing my swimming first. I'm looking for a suitable swim class at the moment.

Are there any discussion forums for triathletes anywhere on the web?
24/09/2002 at 12:20
Hilly
You've inspired me.
I HAVE to work on my swimming, but I'd love to tri this.
24/09/2002 at 12:44
For all you triathlon needs check out www.triathletes-uk.org , lots of links on how to swim better, training tips etc etc
BK
24/09/2002 at 13:48
Well done Hilly, excellent achievement.

I share Drews sentiments, if only I could swim
24/09/2002 at 14:08
Hilly

How/where did you get hold of the details for this? Do you belong to a tri club?

Sorry for all the questions

Fiona
24/09/2002 at 17:48
Thanks triathlon boy, will check out the site.

Fiona, I have a friend who did a couple of tri's last year who put me on to the fast twitch tri's run by concept sport. You can find out more about these on www.conceptsport.co.uk

Barkles it's always good to tri something different.
24/09/2002 at 17:50
Oh sorry Fiona I didn't answer your question of belonging to a tri club. No I don't I just did one because it's something I've always wanted to do and it was great! I belong to a running club.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.