Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Come and have a go...

201 to 220 of 277 messages
15/06/2010 at 15:48
I'd be (and I am) more worried about coming back up them!!
15/06/2010 at 15:56

I'm worried about going up and down any step! I think we'll be so polite to each other on Saturday ...

"you first..."  "Oh, no...ladies' first...." It's OK really, you first..."

15/06/2010 at 18:15

Don't think I've got any plausible excuses for poor performance (yet) so it looks like I'm going to have to actually go as hard as I can.  Simon, I'm glad you asked about eating because I've never done an afternoon race either and was wondering the same thing.

The taper has definitely begun, although I had to go to Goodge Street today and still chose to go up the 160 steps rather than use the lift.  They were nice steps in comparison to the Box Hill beasts though.

15/06/2010 at 19:32
Just checked the BBC weather forecast and it says 'becoming cooler' on Saturday.  That's a relief, I was beginning to worry that it might be a scorcher.
15/06/2010 at 22:00
Top fuelling tips... a medium-sized pasta meal the night before (not mega!), porrige and coffee for breakast, have at least two PRDs, and a light lunch. Sorted!
15/06/2010 at 22:53
A quick p.s. on my nutrition tips..  I thought best way of avoiding getting too enthusiastic on the beers on Friday night would be to invite myself round to my brother's for watching the England game.  (He lives in Cheam so will be popping along to watch the race and put me up the night before.)  Very considerately he asked me if I've got any pre-race dietary requests.  I knew he was planning on cooking a chilli before I invited myself along... had a quick think about it and thought, sod it, my bruv's chilli is pretty bloody good, and I've got a cast iron stomach.  Wish me luck. 
16/06/2010 at 08:08

I think we need to wish luck to the poor sods immediately in front and behind you, Phil.

My place is still available. If nobody takes it I might, just might, turn up and do it anyway. I'll be the one at the back, wheezing and spluttering like an old tramp <hack hack>.

16/06/2010 at 09:44
I'm sure some of us will be partying at the back - come join us, Muttley
16/06/2010 at 14:35
Just done my last run before Saturday, a fast 3 miler ... now I have the tedium of two days without a run, so I might take to the hills the mountain bike tomorrow.
The weather looks very pleasant for Saturday, light cloud with a max of 19C ... lets hope it stays that way!
I am on a bit of a tight schedule for Saturday, as I need to be back in Haslemere at 7:30 to get out for a party. The smart advice on parking seemed to be to park on the road, as the car park shuts early. Is that correct? I expect to finish in around 2 hrs 30 min (did 14miles with 2,200 ft ascent in 2 hour 21 mins last Sunday) so that would see me away at about 6:45 ... is the car park at Ryka's still open then?
Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday.
16/06/2010 at 15:47

Hello fellow foolish people. Why are we doing this? 

Our other halves are coming along to watch with the kids - any suggestions as to the best viewing point? I've suggested the picnic area near the viewing point, or the viewing point itself and I suppose they could get a half-way view at the point where we turn round and head home.

I thought the start finish was probably not such a great point at which to watch from.

It's our first time at this race so experienced input would be appreciated.

But I did do the Leith Hill half and all I can say is 'watch your step'!

16/06/2010 at 21:28
My top tip for families is to watch the start from near the top of the first hill (start walking up there from the start about 10 minutes before the race gets under way), cheer on your runners at the top of the hill, then walk around to the viewing point/lookout to see them on the way back, before meeting them back at the finish. (All the while giving way to runners!).

The half way point is not a good place - runners will be there for only a few seconds, and it is difficult to get to/not much parking. Best stay on foot! Good luck!
17/06/2010 at 11:35

Thanks Rob,

And as you've probably gathered, I won't be marshalling as I appear to be fit (?) to run. I'm looking forward to a good old sing-song before collapsing at the top of the first hill!

17/06/2010 at 12:41
Can`t wait for Monday`s posts....
17/06/2010 at 12:47

You know you want to do this Mr K.

Or are you saving yourself for the PICNIC next year  

Edited: 17/06/2010 at 16:52
17/06/2010 at 19:56
Dr Robert...I'm thinking of cycling over to the race. Is there anywhere I could safely stash the bike?
17/06/2010 at 20:53
I cycled last year. There are bike racks at the cafe at the foot of the hill, but I left my bike alongside the luggage stash at the start and finish line. There's people there throughout.
17/06/2010 at 21:27

Cheers Muttley...cycling it is then!  Should warm the legs up for that first hill!.

18/06/2010 at 19:19
Good luck everyone! I'd like to say I'll see you at the start but I'm going to drop out. Really feeling out of sorts just now. I have offered my services to Dr Rob so if I feel up to it and I'm needed then maybe I'll be filling some water cups at a checkpoint instead!
18/06/2010 at 20:53

this had better be as good as I hope it's going to be..........

I've opted not to drink any alcohol tonight (part of my normal pre-race prep), but the England game is on, and I'm going to really struggle to survive the next 30 mins without a beer in my hand..........

18/06/2010 at 23:52
Better get in training for this one - first job is to tackle the stairs up to bed.........zzzzzzzz
201 to 220 of 277 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.