Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Come and have a go...

261 to 277 of 277 messages
21/06/2010 at 14:15

Thanks Shiny. Makes me feel MUCH better.

But can you confirm - is it 750 up and down in total? Or can I double this? (Trying to milk this as much as I can!)

21/06/2010 at 14:15

I work in Canary wharf as well. In my building it's 38 floors from the bottom of the car park to the roof access door. I've been practicing on them for a couple of months, so why do my legs still hurt?

Top race, I'll be doing the Picnic again next year....

21/06/2010 at 15:34
750 in each direction Wendy (although, like me, I suspect most people will have skipped some of the smaller ones on the way down and avoided a few on the way up by switching to the adjacent slope (not that that helped at all)) so 1500 in total if you want to make it sound as bad as possible.
21/06/2010 at 17:30
Interesting that I have run up the BT Tower 4 times for charity and there are around 900 steps there but not 13ish miles as well!! A fantastic event, brilliant marshals, great organisation, refreshements and excellent goody bag! This has to be a must do!! Special mention to Jules (number 59) who seemed to be able to talk all the way up the steps the last time offering people encouragement!! I live in Essex and we have the famous Orion 15 which can be pretty damn tough but Saturday's Event takes the biscuit. I have not been overly enjoying racing (not that i was at The Munro!) too much but I finished that with the biggest smile on my face!! Be back next year but think the Picnic is for hardier souls than me!! Or do i have a go???????
21/06/2010 at 22:48
Quads still complaining every time I go up, or worse down, a step. Hoping that the pain will have decreased by tomorrow as I am due to begin training for the September Nottingham half where I will be targeting a 1:45 finish time ... somehow I dont think that crossing the line there, or at any other "normal" race will feel quite like it did at 18:23 on Saturday. I have no intention of doing the Picnic, but I will certainly be back for the next MM. Fantastic afternoon! Thanks to all the marshalls, runners, and the the good Doctor.
22/06/2010 at 03:36
Don. I have entered the Picnic. Perhaps I need help.
22/06/2010 at 03:41
Orion Harriers fell race this Friday evening if anyone is interested (and tough enough). No steps but short and sweet version of the Munro! See the Orion website for details. Everyone is very very welcome.
22/06/2010 at 13:10
Congratulations to all for taking part! I'm gutted that I had to pull out at the last minute but there is always next year. Could someone please tell me what the course changes were? I intend to indulge myself in my own personal Munro once I'm fighting fit and I wouldn't want to cheat! 
22/06/2010 at 15:13
I think Rob would have to tell you. There was a car park missing this time but I was concentrating on other things. )
22/06/2010 at 15:43

I've just entered the Picnic as well.

I obviously didn't learn my lesson the first time!

22/06/2010 at 18:23
These were the changes:

1: After descending the steps and turning right to the footbridge, turn left and keep to the side of the river (narrow, precarious path) until you get to the stepping stones (rather than going up and through the trees).

2: At the top of 'the Chute' instead of emerging into the car park of the Smith and Western pub, cut left up a few steps and trend rightish to go through the woods to emerge by a grit bin next to the road - cross directly to regain the former course.

These changes might have taken 20 seconds off your previous time - not more!
22/06/2010 at 18:58
Thanks Dr Rob - every second counts!!!
22/06/2010 at 19:42
Am I alone in still being scared of the stairs?
22/06/2010 at 22:58
Funny that. The first time I did it I dreaded stairs for many months afterwards. This time is the opposite - I already want to face them again.
23/06/2010 at 22:36

This was my first Midsummer Munro and also my first hill race (if you don't count the Hastings Half!) Many thanks to all the organisers, the wonderful marshalls with your smiles, drinks and jaffa cakes and the inspirational piper. I couldn't believe it when those 276 steps came up again right at the end! The mad downhill sprint at the end with the other runner was a blast! Final thanks to Phil whose late dropout due to injury enabled me to take part. Phil I hope you're recovering well. I wore your name so everyone thought you were there ! My name was on the back of the commemorative t-shirt at the end though, which was nice

23/06/2010 at 22:56

And I (Phil) ran as my mate Stuart when he pulled out late and I decided you only get one chance a year to do the Munro so what the heck. I walked up most of the hills and paced the downhills so that I could recover for the next up. Finished uninjured and happy - well worth the effort.

No more hills for a while - oops just entered Surrey Slog mid July. Will I ever learn? I hope not!

06/07/2010 at 08:24
2 weeks later and back out on the course again - now I can't walk again and my fear of stairs has returned. Why?!?!?!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
261 to 277 of 277 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.