TUI Marathon Palma de Mallorca

Oct 2010 - My big challenge...

121 to 140 of 168 messages
24/10/2010 at 22:43

Well done everyone who raced, agree with everyone who enjoyed it. Finished in 4 hours and 13, slower than hoped but in reality just glad I finished. Great venue and would recommend it. Half marathon is very picturesque, 2nd half not so much but a great event nonetheless. Spoke to a few Brits after the race, hope you enjoyed it. Looking forward now to London 2011, unless I get persuaded to run another marathon in between.  Think I've caught the bug!

25/10/2010 at 11:56
This was my first marathon and I really enjoyed it, getting around in just over 3 hours 30 mins. Fantastic organisation and facilities and the weather gods looked down favourably - what more can you hope for? Well done to everyone else who got round.   
25/10/2010 at 12:02

bummer, only just found this thread!

well wasn't that just the best marathon? I won't compare it with London, but wow! perfect weather, great atmosphere, well organised and gallons of sun and beer in the following days! cheers Tui and Palma!

Also annihilated my PB with 4:43, taking 14 mins off my London 1995 & London 2010 times! Wahoo!

25/10/2010 at 13:12
My first marathon, a very slow 5.15 but loved it, second half was really tough, think the workers were getting bored by then! Raised a nice amount for charity and I cant wait to experience that feeling you get when you cross the finishing line. Amazing!
01/11/2010 at 21:17

This was my second marathon and beat my first time by 7mins, finishing in 4h 3m 16s. Things didn't start well before the race when I put down my own drink for a short moment and somebody then swiped it! It was well organised though, apart from there not being any silver foil blankets when I finished after running the last 4 miles in the rain, I was absolutely shivering by the time I had my free massage and retreived my bag. Still, it didn't spoil the experience

23/11/2010 at 16:58

Had a great time in Majorca, really enjoyed it!

Thought the weather on race day was perfect, and definitely one of my favorite races.

My third Marathon, and smashed my PB, coming in at 3:27:10, but couldn't walk next day.

I tried telling the bar staff in Magaluf the reason my legs were all over the place was due to the marathon, but I don't think they believed me!

Only thing now is, I've really struggled to get motivated to get back into training - I was hoping for a London place, but when I got back from Majorca, the dreaded rejection slip was on the mat.

23/11/2010 at 18:25
Why would you want to do the charity run that is the London Marathon, there's plenty more runs out there. I'm building towards my first ultra next year.
23/11/2010 at 22:00

I know what you mean about London. I think its just for the atmosphere. I was also hoping the wife got in (she didn't), so I could train with her, as it would be her first, and this could have kick started my training.

One of the reasons I won't do it for charity is because I don't think paying £2k for a place is morally right.

I'm a big believer in whatever you raise, you raise, and a tenner is £10 more than the charity had in the first place!

Tried to get a bit of money for Majorca, and I'm pleased to say I got over £500 for a Cancer Charity!!!

24/11/2010 at 07:54

payless-in the same boat! Had 5 weeks recovery running and hoped london would be my next goal race but not to be. still hoping for a club place though! I am not good at training unless it is goal specific so need to get myself sorted.

well done on raising £500-thats tough enough let alone what the london marathon charities are requesting!

24/11/2010 at 08:16
Payless, my statement above was a bit blunt. I also got a rejection for the 4th time, but won't go for a charity place as I agree it would be a lot of money to raise, and a lot seems to end up in the coffers of the London Marathon.
Well done on raising the money at Majorca, was at the finish line cheering you all on in the rain.

Good luck WR
24/11/2010 at 17:53

WR - didn't thing you was blunt , as I probably thinnk same as you.

Think I'm gonna have a go at the Belvoir challenge!

No pressure, and at least it gives me something to focus on!

24/11/2010 at 17:56

P.S many thanks for the support!

Got to say, it gave me a boost when an English voice called out to me!

Had to laugh at times, as the name is Nigel, but due to some Europeans not quite knowing how to pronounce it, I was spurred on with shouts of

'GO NIGGLE'

24/11/2010 at 18:01
Had a look at the Belvoir challenge, and it looks more fun than a city marathon - I love trail running.
24/11/2010 at 18:51

brimps - thanks for the 'well done'.

Appreciate it!

26/12/2010 at 21:59

This was my first marathon and I finished in 3:36min. Nice weather, except for the rain at the end, well organized and  friendly environment but I have to say next time I will learn german.

28/12/2010 at 11:43
Well done Caro!!
06/03/2011 at 20:55

thinking of doing the run this year, wouldnt want to go till the Saturday though & flight doesnt land till late - do you need to pick anything up in advance of the race day??

Thanks,

07/03/2011 at 06:37

Snake-hips -

last year we had to go to the 'Race Village' in front of the Cathedral to collect our race numbers, t-shirts and timing chips. The village was open on the Friday and Saturday. Don't know whether it was open the morning of the race, but seeing as the race started at 9am. I don't think it was.

It might be worth emailing the organisers to see if they can tell you more.

07/03/2011 at 09:30
If you do e-mail the organisers don't expect a prompt reply, give it 3-4 weeks before you hear anything.
07/03/2011 at 09:50

I did this last year and really enjoyed it - watch out for ze Germans

If you look at this link http://www.tui-marathon.com/_eng/info/info_en.html it appears you can pick up your numbers from 07:30am on race day, (Sunday) so you should be fine...

121 to 140 of 168 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.