Valencia marathon 2012

141 to 160 of 166 messages
tpb
16/11/2012 at 16:56
I'll be in the 3 hour start pen too. Little bloke, 80's revival haircut, blue Portsmouth Joggers vest with a white hoop.
Good luck everybody
16/11/2012 at 18:23
Advice - when you come out of 'Alameda' en-route to the expo to collect your number, turn left (not right as I did for 2miles walking in the wrong direction in 20 degree heat!) it's about 20 mins walk from the metro. It's clouded over here now, was about 18 degrees when I arrived this morning
17/11/2012 at 19:47
Looks like a cracking route in a brilliant city! The city of arts and sciences is something special isn't it?

Looking forward to tomorrow - loads of runners on the 08:10 from Gatwick this morning - can spot you/us a mile away
17/11/2012 at 22:41
Been following this thread with interest for some weeks now as I live in Spain (Madrid). Just want to say best of luck to you all tomorrow, have a fantastic day and enjoy your beers afterwards. All the best guys, go well!
18/11/2012 at 12:23
Hope you all had a great run guys. I thought it was an ace marathon. 2:57:31 for me so well chuffed. Enjoy those post race beers fellas
18/11/2012 at 13:15

Rock and roll David! I wondered where you got too! 3 17 this end hmmmmm.

18/11/2012 at 14:14
Great work too Huw, I know you wanted to go faster, but 3:17 is still a bloody great time. Not sure about you, but did you think it was warm? I thought at first it wasn't but around half way I was thinking my plan may go tits up as I was getting pretty roasty! I took my salt and vinegar sports crisps as planned and thankfully managed to stave off the cramps. Nice towel and free beer at the end!
18/11/2012 at 17:36
Sitting on my hotel bed with beer and blisters! Pretty sure I got a pb but my Garmin went a bit wonky and I can't seem to find online results yet. any ideas?

Well done everyone, I think I enjoyed that, especially the underground rave part!

James
18/11/2012 at 17:38
Cracking race, loved it... Nice to meet up with tpb and Simon at the Irish bar afterwards! Good luck chaps, I'm off to look into that Portsmouth marathon in a minute
Edited: 18/11/2012 at 17:39
18/11/2012 at 18:46
Huh, my garmin time is 4 mins off my website time! Still, very slight pb for me, am pretty pleased.
18/11/2012 at 20:20
Did you have auto pause on? Those underpasses might have messed it up if you lost a GPS signal!
19/11/2012 at 07:08
There's the gun time and chip time. Mine is 30 secs difference. Maybe it took you 4 mins to cross the start line?
19/11/2012 at 12:11

What an incredible experience

Well done guys, seriously impressive times posted above.

My first one and perhaps I have been spoiled as it was simply incredible, starting with the pre race expo, fireworks at the start, bands everywhere, drinks and supplies in abundance all the way round. The tunnels and dance music, what a terrific boost that was. And what a way to end the race in the stadium, the best goodie bag I have had from any race too!

4:30, probably slower than I would have hoped for given the near perfect conditions and flat, lovely course. Would like to do this one every year, the city is wonderful. Bring on my next marathon, totally addictive

19/11/2012 at 18:14

Iam happy with my time I will get under 3 before I die tho! And it such fun trying!

I felt comfy in the heat, I could feel it getting warmer obviously tho it never bothered me. That said I was working at a comfortable work rate my calves just squeezed tight at half way like balls and chains. I forgot my crisps! they could have made all the difference. Back to the drawing board.

No complaints from me will be back to do this one again in the future welldone Jake well done all. Would still love to know where this irish bar is there are Bayern Munich fans blumming everywhere right now.

19/11/2012 at 18:23
I finished in 4hr 14min, quite happy, was on for 4hr finish then at 20 odd miles hit the wall and couldn't keep the pace up. Awesome experience -will be back. Congratulation to all on your times.
Huw - the Irish bar is less than 10 min walk from 'colon' metro station, it's on a main road which is 2 streets south parallel to Colon, I can meet you at colon tonight if you fancy some beers as I'm not heading back until tomorrow night
tpb
19/11/2012 at 18:24
The start was utter chaos. The pens were far too small and putting the greeny yellow bibs next to the yellowy green bibs caused confusion. This will live forever in my memory as the first false start I was involved in and my first ever sub 3 ; 2:59:32 GET IN! Great to meet Guy and Simon, keep up the good work lads!
19/11/2012 at 18:25
I think it's a garmin/me issue! It turned itself off the other day and updated my user profile on behalf - I became 183 years old and close to 2000lbs overnight!

Congrats jake! I am still here overlooking the finish line celebrating a birthday. Already looking for the next 26.2 challenge...
19/11/2012 at 19:58

Its great to hear how you all got on.

JadeUK: huge congratulations mate on your first mara, its a special time and was an emotional one for me, in a good way. Hope you soak it up and take in what a great achievement you've done. 26.2 miles is a bloody long way and 4:30 is a great time. I have mates  still trying to crack the sub 4:30 so well done. BTW, valencia is definitely up there with the best marathon experiences i've done, you've officially been spoiled

Huw: you'll deffo get your sub 3, keep chipping away and you're time will come. The crisps are the answer

Simon: well done too, sub 4 is a tough one, good on yer for sticking it out. The bonk is a horrible place and i've jacked on more times than i care to mention in races, so you'll reflect on that rough phase in training and future races. It'll make you tougher.

Tpb: awesome time, good work fella, hope youre as chuffed as me with sub 3

James: well done and happy 184th birthday!!! hope you enjoyed the race. Whats next?

I've enjoyed this thread fellas, whats next for everyone? One bloke i spoke to said frankfurt was a great autumn mara. I may go back to race amsterdam again next year which has a similar feel to valancia. I'm back training next week for a 100mile non stop ultra which i DNF'ed this year at 80miles, so unfinished business!

19/11/2012 at 21:27
Has anyone tried Vienna?

I've only really got into this thread near to the end, but its been nice to see everyone chatting about the race and their experiences, I think I will join in a bit more going on! It's great to have that extra bit of encouragement. Thanks all
20/11/2012 at 18:01

Well done to  all of you with them fantastic times, This old git was quite pleased and crawled over at 3hrs 58 mins, The start was a sham, but as Jake said the goodie bag made londons look like a cheap (lucky bag) And the beautiful girl who gave me my Brooks top at the expo was really hot, (was worth the flight alone ) Glad the wife stayed at the hotel saturday morning, We have just got home and the little airport at Valencia was very quick compared to the passport clowns at stansted when we just arrived back, By the way i went to the mestalla the atmosphere was great cost me 20 euros to get in, Mind you R.C.D espanyol was robbed and lost 2-1 to Valencia

141 to 160 of 166 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.