Valencia Marathon 2013

Valencia Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 198 messages
13/06/2013 at 12:52

It was a nice touch at the start of the race last year (maybe it's the same everywhere?), they announced the number of runners from UK. From memory there was 64 or something. But the booming massive fireworks really got the blood pumping

02/07/2013 at 21:56

Hey guys, have entered This year as took part last year as my first marathon, group of 4 of us ran last year, this year 22 of us going, 7 running the marathon, 10 of us running 10k, you will notice us in matching hoodies. this will be my second and last I'm afraid, mileage at my age damaging my knees, only been running 3 years, but training hard for the marathon this year, want to beat my time of 3 hours and 49 minutes. I concur with all the positive comments, great expo, day before, good organisation, false start last year, the front runners thought that the fire work display was the gun for start, we all had to back up. Plenty of water stations, etc, even fire brigade are out with hose pipes, hosing you down, lots of support all around the course. Those entering, enjoy. We fly Friday morning and come back late Monday. Great long weekend away. Wow, can't believe I've written so much!,

09/07/2013 at 15:49

I'm looking to enter this but trying to work out logistics.  Does anyone know a precise start and finish so I can look at nearby hotels? Cheers

10/07/2013 at 21:20

I'm in, anyone from North London going?

11/07/2013 at 09:51

Ally, the info is on their website but it is right in the middle of the city, loads of hotels near by.

Jimbob - yep, another Norf Londoner right here!

11/07/2013 at 10:46

Sweet mate! where ya based? i'm Finchley Central - but i'm Tufnell park boy originally!

14/07/2013 at 07:03

Anyone else started their training for this yet? I'm training for Berlin so I'm already into a plan.

23/07/2013 at 13:48

Yeah, training already underway, with a few half marathons booked in to give me something to aim for in the long run up.

Jimbob, I'm a bit more south than that, sort of in the middle of Old Street-Angel-H&I tubes, so I do most of my training along the Regent's canal between Angle and Limehouse, as well as seemingly endless circuits of Victoria Park - all nice and flat and no roads to cross and slow me down!

23/07/2013 at 23:47

Dan, what halves are you booked into? - i am running RunToThebeat, Great North Run and then Berlin Marathon end of Sept. Looking to take in another half towards the end of Oct. Not planning a training schedule for Valencia as such, plan to just re-ignite my Berlin plan temporarily after a 2 week break from running, will probably just do a half end of Oct and a 20 mile early november, no taper as such, just keep ticking over.

The idea of this race for me is it's something to break up the winter training. Planning spring marathons as well but 6 months between Berlin and Paris is too long for me so Valencia looked good - i'm in! Won't be aiming for anything spectacular as it's too close to Berlin.

Mate, if you are doing RuntoTheBeat we could meet up before / or after

01/08/2013 at 14:30

Hey Jimbob, I'm actually doing the hackney half the same day as runtothebeat as RTTB was so busy last year I got fed up with it. Two weeks after hackney is Eton Dorney and then two weeks after that is Blenheim palace, although that will be more of a short run by then and doing it with a friend, so not aiming for great things there. 

If I manage to sneek in under 4 hours for Valencia then thats me done with this distance - the training just cuts into my personal time so much! Unless my London ballot is successful of course.......

29/08/2013 at 10:59

Not been on here for a while, had all sorts of niggles this summer, probably a combination of old age and trying to change to forefoot running! Just feeling right back into the groove and really excited about Valencia once again. Good to read the positive vibes on here, stay fit and healthy everyone

12/09/2013 at 14:47

Anyone hanging around after the marathon for a few days? Any recommendations of stuff to do/see in the area?

12/09/2013 at 20:41

Sarf Landon here - Toying with the idea of entering, has everyone booked travel/hotel yet? Looking to do it on a reasonable shoestring if anyone has any reccomendations??

Cheers

Simon

12/09/2013 at 23:21

Valencia is a nice, open city - the absolutely bonkers City of Arts & Sciences is where you start & finish so you'll have done that to death by Sunday afternoon!

It's really easy to get around - use the Metro, stations every few hundred yards - just like the tube really. It even goes from the Airport, so use it instead of a taxi! If you're wondering how to use the tickets - swipe them on the sensors like an Oyster card, (I saw loads of Brits wondering how to get through the gates )

I was thinking of doing it again, but haven't seen any cheap UK flights Sat/Mon so will probably save my pennies and head over to Lanzarote for the marathon in December instead!

I was reading that they've changed the course from last year to make it even faster! Apparently they've taken out the underpass sections, (where the music was playing) and some of the tighter bottlenecks...

http://maratondivinapastoravalencia.com/en/mejoras-en-el-circuito-para-2013/

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 23:24
13/09/2013 at 05:41

Now that is a real shame about the underpass sections, this was one of the highlights of the whole course for me! What a massive boost entering those underpasses to that booming music it was!!!! Never even noticed the downhill to enter / exit the underpasses, for me the positives outweigh the negatives of the underpasses and music The idea of a gentle slope downhill for the final 8.5km does sound rather appealing though. I hope this race continues to grow in stature, it is a fantastic flat course and the support was great and the start / finish area is a hard one to beat.

edit: Have you done the Transvulcania, Gee?

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 05:43
13/09/2013 at 10:48

Yeah - I enjoyed the underpasses too, the music was fab 

Haven't done Transvulcania - thinking about it for 2014 depending on other stuff and lotteries, UTMB, Western States, GUCR etc...Too many ultras, too little time, (and money)

Am off to the USA, (Utah) to do a 100-miler in 2 weeks called "The Bear" - it looks amazing, can't wait!

13/09/2013 at 15:10

As far as I know there is one direct easyjet flight from Gatwick on the sat morning, but we booked it ages ago.

Not run it before, but if the underpass sections are anything like Paris then I am glad they have gone, a really killer to run up the steep uphill exits when you are 30km ish into a race!

13/09/2013 at 15:30

A small video clip from the underpass section last year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFLLJ7cvTc

Gee, good luck with "The Bear"

19/09/2013 at 13:21

Yay, all flights booked, €126 for wifey, two children and me, short hop from Ibiza. Start saving up now to have a splurge on gear at the expo

Hope everyone's training is going well?

20/09/2013 at 13:21
Simon Whitrod wrote (see)

Sarf Landon here - Toying with the idea of entering, has everyone booked travel/hotel yet? Looking to do it on a reasonable shoestring if anyone has any reccomendations??

Cheers

Simon

gatwick return flight - saturday am.- sunday evening 115 quid on sleazeyjet. Hotel Something called expo hotel in old town ..... 49 euros pay on the day...

21 to 40 of 198 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.