Valencia Marathon 2014

101 to 104 of 104 messages
26/09/2014 at 22:19
Way behind you guys in training due to injury. Done a 15m this week so just hoping to get 1 20 miler and a few 18 ish. I'll be traveling in on the day from Benidorm
27/09/2014 at 20:22

Jimbob - thanks for the info! Yes not sure whether I can quite manage the BQ this time but if I can at least break 4 hours, then hopefully next time! But am still going to give it my best shot, sounds like it's not going to come much easier than the Valencia course I know I lost quite a bit of time in London as I started in a slower pen and it was SO congested at times...then I ended up running nearly a mile further trying to weave in and out to keep up my pace- couldn't even see the blue line haha....

Hi Degsy, don't worry, you'll be fine especially if you manage to get in at least one 20, still 4 weeks of good training (assuming a 3 week taper)

Did my second 20 miler yesterday and was fairly pleased with it. My first one I did as a LSR as per my training programme (P & D) and also was bumping up from 15 miles so just trying to get through it! That one worked out at 3h18 or 9m53 pace/mile. Yesterday I was pretty confused as to how to pace - whether to stick to LSR again as suggested or step up a bit to give me more confidence? Had a vague idea of doing first 10 miles at 9m15 then trying for MP (8m45) last 10 miles.

unfortunately my plans were scuppered somewhat by my running app going crazy (I blame the latest Apple update!) and constantly claiming I was doing 6 min miles, and running much further than I had. Luckily I had my Garmin and managed to pace first 10 miles bang on at 9m15, but then my head could no longer handle the maths (I have quite an old Garmin which doesn't do average pace and current pace was jumping a lot due to quite hilly course (unfortunately unavoidable where I live) so I couldn't get a handle on it. Was also struggling with high humidity and said hills so just kind of went with it in the end. Ended up doing the 20 in 3h6m or 9m19 pace. So a good improvement on last time though I know I need to go comfortably under 3 hrs in the real thing! Am hoping I'll find Valencia a lot easier with the flat course - am conscious of having to work a lot harder on hilly bits, and can see the effect on my heart rate too.  Have one more 20 planned just before taper so hopefully the improvements will continue!

I am quite grateful for the continued warm weather here in Blighty as it should help with acclimatisation for Spain - was worried that it would be freezing here and I'd have to start running in thick layers and a woolly hat just so the Valencia temps wouldn't be too much of a shock

29/09/2014 at 13:38

Knee wasn't quite right yesterday so decided to take a rest day instead of my 17 miler; ran in this morning (9 miles) and was more or less okay again, though I've now just gone out and replaced my running shoes as they really were worn out (now on to my fourth pair of Asics GT1000's).

Few long-ish runs this week, with a hilly 12 miler tomorrow night and then the Cardiff Half on Sunday, which unlike Bristol last Sunday - where I was going for a PB - I'm aiming to run steady 8 min miles, perhaps with a cheeky 2-3 mile warm up run beforehand as well; very much using it as a warm up for Valencia. From Cardiff I shall build my long runs back up; am aiming to do at least two that get over the 35km mark, where I've had problems in the past...

Like you though Nicole, I'm grateful for the continued warm weather! Was really apprehensive about running in Valencia in November having trained in the cold of Blighty, but with each week of decent weather it'll be that bit less of a shock...

Today at 00:36

Did the Redcar half on Sunday in 1:27. Kind of a B- C+ performance but reflects the amount of training Ive been doing. Ramping up the miles in October before tapering in November and hoping that will be enough to help me regain some form. That being said, I'm going to make my debut at cross country at the weekend to try and inject some pace into my legs. We'll see how that goes.

Only about 6 weeks to go now folks, the excitement is building.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 104 of 104 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.