Valencia Marathon 2014

141 to 151 of 151 messages
17/10/2014 at 20:57

My training has been sadly hit and miss. Not in the sub 3 shape that I hoped. I really need to be in top nick just to shade under it. I may engage in some marathon tourism instead. I've looked t the weather in Valencia at the moment, 29-30 degrees !!! I hope it gets colder quickly.

20/10/2014 at 11:32

A disrupted Friday evening meant my Saturday morning LSR following the London Marathon route wasn't my best. Reaffirmed the importance of resting the day before and getting a good night's sleep. Knocked my confidence slightly but at least it was circumstantially bad rather than just outright bad. Although, all in, it capped a seven day period with my highest ever weekly mileage, so perhaps shouldn't be too disappointed.

One final strong run this weekend (paring back towards the 30k marker) should hopefully restore my confidence!

Also, how dull is the London marathon route by itself! Without the crowds and event it's absolutely pants, largely just dual carriageways and dull high roads.

20/10/2014 at 11:33

PCleasby - weather hits 33c this week! Seems to be warmest in mid-afternoon, hopefully the four weeks will be sufficient time for it all to cool down a bit

20/10/2014 at 16:08

I do hope so, I'm rubbish in the heat. I could never imagine doing a desert marathon.

22/10/2014 at 00:28

Yes the heat would put most goals out by a few percent at least.... anything more than 15C on the day will have an adverse effect... this happened to almost everyone in Barcelona in March. It got up to around 22C by the time we hit 20 miles.... ppl suffering from cramp etc all over the place... Cost me at least an extra 4 minutes... but it had been quite cool up to about 10 miles.

Wouldn't get disheartened tm ... doing the London marathon route without the road closures etc sounds like insanity to me .... Up here in Sheffield am a fan of getting out on the trails into the countryside rather than inhaling diesel fumes. Even in London that possible along the Thames towpath and the parks etc.. some great flat long run routes around.

Managed a 16 miler tonight on a blustery tuesday evening.... quite happy about that as felt quite strong at the end and only had the one gel. Almost worth a 20 miler for me hehe...

Might attempt back to back long runs with something tomorrow depending on what the body is saying.....

Half marathon on Sunday which is quite hilly (Worksop) - the plan is to run it at marathon pace... no quicker.... ie 1:29:30 .... we shall see....  its getting close! Thinking that a 2 week taper this time round might be the way forward to fit in an extra high mileage week as have been lazy till now hehe. Have a good week all.

22/10/2014 at 14:56

Bansky7 - yeah usually I run long along towpaths, in parks, along the thames or on roads that are a bit quieter/conducive for running (some great running to be had around Crouch End and Hampstead if you know it at all; I live in a much less fancy part of town I must add!), the marathon route was a sheer curiosity, and one which has been completely sated!

Sounds like we're all going to need to hydrate (well, during the race, ahem) a little more than planned then! As long as we aren't still out there at 3pm then we should all be fine... Hilly half should be good prep, the flats of Valencia will feel much easier for it!

22/10/2014 at 16:09

Completed final 20 miler today before heading off to Portugal for a week, tomorrow. Not quite as warm there but still low 20's which is probably as high as it is likely to be in Valencia in 3 weeks or so. I really don't think it will be a problem (famous last words!), and if it is it's one of those things we have no control over. Any ideas about gels in hand luggage anyone?

22/10/2014 at 23:44

Yes gels are fine in hand luggage but they need to go in those clear plastic bags. My gels at High 5 60ml ones and I generally take 5 of them with me. 4 for the race and 1 spare.

Anyone help with these questions?

1. Is there a breakfast run on the saturday morning at Valencia?
  2. Is there a tracker for people at home to monitor progress
  3. Who is up for beers on Sunday afternoon/evening?
23/10/2014 at 06:23

Thanks PC.

23/10/2014 at 10:42

PCleasby - I haven't heard anything about a breakfast run sadly. Not sure if it's a big enough marathon to warrant an official one? (ditto #2)

I can definitely help you with 3 though - very much so. I'm in town on me tod so a few beers afterwards would be terrific.

23/10/2014 at 23:26

Bob good stuff on completing final 20 miler - still complete my first 20 miler ... might throw one in next week .... my gut feeling is that 20 milers are over rated as the chances of niggles as so high. We'll see if the unorthodox strategy works this time.....  managed a double today of 10km at MP and 8km at a very steady recovery pace..... seemed to work well.

HM on Sunday to run at MP with a couple miles warm up and another couple warm down if the legs will allow it....

Then with a solitary 20 miler chucked in next week before a 2 week taper I think it could work....   

Beers or Rioja will definitely be consumed post race. We have a boat in the harbour so planning to sit out on deck and chill .... 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 151 of 151 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.