Valencia Marathon 2014

1 to 20 of 255 messages
14/04/2014 at 14:48

Hey all,

Apologies if there's a pre-existing thread, couldn't find one for the 2014 race!

I'm considering signing up for this off the back of a mitigating-circumstances performance in the Paris marathon; everything I've read about it seems to be really positive, has anyone here done it before? Worth doing? Am tempted either by this or by San Sebastian 2 weeks later, although the latter looks like being an entirely different, rainier beast...

15/04/2014 at 08:39

Just booked my flights yesterday. Flying Newcastle to alicante then getting train as Valencia hard to get to from northern airports. 

Looks a fantastic city & a fast course. Looking forward to it! 

25/04/2014 at 15:55

Stephen I am signed up to do this one too but was considering getting the train to Gatwick and then going directly to Valencia. I too am in the North East. When are you travelling out?

25/04/2014 at 16:15

It is an awesome race - flat & fast (if maybe a bit on the warm side) with lots of nice little keepsakes (medal, shirt and bag), grandstand finish and great support along the way.  Plus beer and a bag of oranges - what more could ya want? 

25/04/2014 at 22:33

Easy flight connections 

Cheers Cooks, It also says on the blogs that the water is in bottles too. Bliss.

Edited: 25/04/2014 at 22:34
25/04/2014 at 23:55

I've just signed up for this, it'll be my first marathon, looked long and hard about where I should attempt my first, but the finish clinched it for me... will be booking hotel and flights soon, but all seem reasonably cheap at the moment.

Any idea how many will likely be running, can't find the information anywhere..

Edited: 25/04/2014 at 23:56
27/04/2014 at 14:51

PCleasby fly out 7am sat morning. Land alicante 11, 20mins on bus to train station then 2hours to valencia from there. Get there by 3pm hopefully, fly back tue evening.

I'm sure I read 9000 did the marathon last year

28/04/2014 at 11:34

Yep - bottled water.  The sports drink is mainly in cups though - can't remember what the deal was with gels either....

For the finish the build a temporary runway over the water in the city of art and sciences (which is that funky modern building you sometimes see on tv - most recently in a car ad).  It's my favourite road mara to date - actually preferred it to London!

28/04/2014 at 22:17
I done this. 2 years ago. Its a beautiful city. Also they claim that the original
Holy grail is in the city cathedral.
I flew from Stansted to Valencia. At the airport they have a metro straight to different drops around the city. If I remember right. You need to get off at the xativa stop. It only takes about 15 mins from airport.
Im doing Amsterdam this year. When I ran I think it was around 8000 or 10.000 runners. I went to watch Valencia on the Saturday night at the mestailla
It was only 20 euros. The people are friendly and if you wad their in the summer the beach is amazing. Good luck to all.
13/05/2014 at 13:37

This will be my third year of Valencia marathon, absolutely love this race and the city. As already mentioned above, fantastic flat course (was made quicker last year). Great crowd support and the start finish area would be hard to beat anywhere in the world. A few from the RW met up for a beer (or many beers) after last years race, nearer the time would be nice to organise the same again this year...

Good luck folks.

13/05/2014 at 14:05

Having had a great run in Madrid a fortnight ago, I am very tempted by this, particularly with all these positive comments. Do you think it is better to arrive early (Thurs/Fri) in order to recover from the journey or leave it till Saturday and leave later (say Tues)? For Madrid I got there early Friday and then spent 2 days walking round the city which was quite tiring.

16/05/2014 at 19:31

Entered now! Daughter doing the 10k.

16/05/2014 at 21:42

Im in. looking at staying in benidorm and driving over for the expo and then the marathon. What is needed at the expo to pick your number up?

Cheers

21/05/2014 at 15:40

I've just signed up too!  Hoping to be able to improve my VLM time of 4.07, loved London but found it very crowded and hard to maintain my pace. Valencia looks amazing

16/06/2014 at 16:41

Nicole, I suspect that you would have a great chance of beating your pb in Valencia. Once away from the start area it's amazing how quickly the runners spread out leaving plenty of room.

For anyone considering where to stay, I can heartily recommend the old part of the city. It's only a short bus or taxi ride to the start and is a fantastic area to stay.

I consider this race such a fabulous end of year treat, can't imagine not doing the race now

09/07/2014 at 00:04

I've booked in the old part of Valencia too. Having recovered from Boston I am beginning to focus on Valencia now, well once holidays are out of the way. Starting to try and rebuild my aerobic base so I am in good shape for November. Hoping to help a running mate of mine go sub 3 for the first time. We'll certainly be up for post race beers once a venue is decided nearer the time.

09/07/2014 at 22:29

Desperate to break four hours this year, not sure how feasible this is, my year has been focused on ultra/ trail running. September/ October will have to try and get some speed work in. Look forward to meeting you PC.

10/07/2014 at 08:01

Hi Jake. Also looking to break 4 hours. How close have you come to this in previous years and how does this compare to your times elsewhere. Did 4:07 in Madrid in April but that included an uphill first 6k and 5 of the last 6 miles climbing steadily. Hoping that the flat course will allow me to achieve sub4. 

10/07/2014 at 10:05
Me three! Also did 4.07 in VLM this year (my first marathon) although found the course very crowded. Would love to go sub 4 this time
10/07/2014 at 16:06

It's great to have these time targets! It keeps you motivated right through your training and into the race itself. The reviews say this one is fast and flat so if the weather is kind those of you on the cusp of significant time barriers have every chance of hitting a pb which makes the post race celebrations all the more joyous.

1 to 20 of 255 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.