Victory 5

Anyone doing this?

11 messages
15/10/2002 at 21:50
Hoping to be fit after injury and am contemplating entering the Victory 5 in Portsmouth. Has anyone done this and if so what's it like. Some of these race tend to be VERY fast with a small field and I don't really want to feel that I've got to pull out all the stops and end up injured again.
16/10/2002 at 21:44
I did this one last year. I wasn't last, did it in about 52mins as far as I can remember. I am usually in the last few anyway, used to it now!!

Quite a nice flat course, 2 laps so the faster ones usually whizz by but saying that the field was quite big and of mixed abilities.
13/11/2002 at 16:42
I too was wondering about this - it would be my first ever race and is fairly local, but I was very put off by the 'blisteringly fast' tag! I have managed to run 10K on the treadmill a couple of times in 65 minutes, and am regularly running for an hour outside - should I go for it?
13/11/2002 at 20:11
Hi i run around this course every week i am a member of portsmouth joggers club the mountbatten centre is our meeting place i think you should run it it is afast course but across the road is Alexanda Sports A very good shop for running shoes and just about 2 miles along the road is portsmouth shopping centre and the new gunwarf Quay shopping centre you can make a day of it and do some xmas shopping hope this helps you pete
13/11/2002 at 22:35
If I wasn't already doing a race that day, I'd be very tempted by this one. Never mind maybe next year.

I've got so many races building up as a maybe for next year. I bet I still won't get to do them.

Best of luck all, enjoy your run!
13/11/2002 at 22:57
I'm planning to do this one as I'm relatively local too. Diana - you should definitely do it as your local and it will be a lot more fun than the treadmill! There there will be plenty of runners going at the same pace as you or slower. Me for one!
gk
14/11/2002 at 10:02
be careful if you try and enter this online - there is a £1.50 booking fee which i think is ridiulous
14/11/2002 at 11:40
I went to Pompey Poly and lived in North End for a year just down from the Mountbatten Centre. Often used to run here and it is a good course. Don't be put off by fast. There will be runners of all abilities. The fast means that everybody may be looking for a PB but whether that is 25 minutes or 50 minutes or more doesn't matter. Good luck
14/11/2002 at 18:19
I've run this a couple of times now and managed a PB each time ( 5 miles in 41 mins so not fast at all). The course is very flat and I hate two-lappers as my morale sinks at the thought of going all the way round again. Watch out for the wind along the sea/river bank - it's a killer. Lots of runners and a great atmosphere - and a chance to run on the running track at the end - made me feel like I was at the Olympics.
15/11/2002 at 17:46
Anybody know what the route is?

I used to have a school cross country route which went past the Mountbatten centre, but it would not have been suitable for 1000 runners!
19/11/2002 at 18:46
I've just entered online. I agree that the £1.50 supplement is ridiculous but it's still a relatively cheap race given the prestige and expected size of field.

Good luck to all!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.