VLM 2013 Outsiders Thread

"For anyone who doesn't fit anywhere else"

141 to 160 of 185 messages
22/03/2013 at 13:07

Yes Miggito, I have been tellling everyone we will have a heatwave for one bloody day only!

22/03/2013 at 13:42

Hi all. I've managed 10 miles this week. Reluctantly missing parkrun but will get 12 miles in later in the day. Doing a Where's Wally 5k fun run with my flatmate on Sunday!

22/03/2013 at 15:07

I hate missing parkrun, tomorrow will be my 100th and I am going to run it with my sister as it was her that dragged me along the my 1st parkrun in March 2010.

We are also going to run it in 28:04 which was my first attempt. Hard to believe I set a pb three weeks ago of 17:45

22/03/2013 at 16:28

Never done a parkrun, they look like fun though but LSRs always on a Saturday so have to miss them! Well done on your 100th though Roger, quite an achievement!!

I've got 18 or 20 miles tomorrow (depending on legs), hope the snow dissapears otherwise its on the treadmill, will be good mental strength training if that is the case though!

Good luck with your runs this weekend all 

PS - Georgina - I'm off to google "where's wally 5k", never heard of it - must be an English thing

24/03/2013 at 08:41
Hi all, good to see everyone getting on well with their training, keeping my fingers crossed everyone stays fit and well over the next 4 weeks

Wishing the weather would warm up, yesterdays LSR was like runni through Narnia, just missing the enormous Lion and dodgy looking Faun!!! Still managed 19 miles in just under 2:30 which was pleasing. I don't have the mental strength like you Miggito to run that sort of distance on the treadmill, that really does take some sort of crazy to do that, in the nicest possible way of course

Have had a couple of interesting races in the last couple of weeks, ran the infamous Grizzly in Seaton, Devon which was 20 miles across countryside, up cliffs along shingle beaches, through rivers and the 'Bog of Doom'!!! This was definitely the hardest thing I have ever done, after the first 10 miles you feel like you've gone 20 and then find out that the second half of the race is harder!!! Regulars say that your time for the Grizzly is a good estimate of your road marathon time so I was pleased to finish in 3:26 and in one piece

Last weekend was the Naseby Battlefield Half which turned out to be a road race run on a couple of inches of settled snow (should have worn trail shoes!) which also proved to be tough, but I managed to ski my way round in just over 1:30. All in all the training seems to be paying off and I am just hoping to stay injury free until the 21st with only 2 more long runs before I start reducing down.

Hope everyone is enjoying the challenge of the snow, lets hope it warms up soon!!!
25/03/2013 at 13:10

Matt76 - looks like you have had a busy couple of weeks and got through them relitively unscathed. I am crossing everything in the hope that the enxt four weeks are injury and pain free.

I done parkrun on Saturday and failed in my mission to finish it in 28:04 to mirror my 1st parkrun three years ago. I finished in 27:44 so it was pretty close but just as hard trying to run slower than I normally run. 

Done 22 yesterday in the snow so had to wear trail shoes which don't have the same support as my normal running shoes, hence making it much harder than usual. Still a good solid workout with only four weeks to go.

Some better weather would be good right now for us all.....

25/03/2013 at 13:25

Good to hear from you Matt, glad all's going well, sounds like it's all coming together for you too  Well done on doing the Grizzly, I read about that once, maybe in the mag or on here but looked like fun! Fast times as well, what time are you gong for again in London?

I know what you mean about the weather at the weekend, I went out on Saturday morning in the snow (not sure if that was more crazy doing that than going on the treamill!!!) but managed just over 19 miles in the freezing cold, absolutely hated it, walked probably about 1/2 mile of it, thought seriously about phoning a taxi to get home as well but did it and never felt so relieved to get an LSR done when I arrived home and collapsed through the back door!

Still re-evaluating my training plan as the days go on and still wishing this weather would just get better!!!

26/03/2013 at 08:54

Well done everyone on getting out this weekend....wasn't that fun!

I managed to complete the Cranleigh 21 on a very cold and snowy Sunday morning in 3hrs 14 so quite pleased...especially considering that for the last 4 miles i needed the toilet so badly that i had to keep stopping to allow my stomach to settle! I also had to stop for a minute to try and reattach my race number, which was no mean task as i couldn't feel my fingers!

I woke up yesterday morning and felt like someone had snuck in during the middle of the night, removed my legs and replaced them with those of a 86 year old, arthritic womans who'd had a double hip and knee replacement! Will it be this painful (or worse!!) after the main event, and how do i stop myself from having a toilet 'accident' on the day?

At least i know i can run that distance now as 6 weeks ago i'd never run further in my life than 12 miles! Looking forwards to my taper now.Can any of you suggest a regime to do this.

Praying for good conditions on the day now!

Happy tapering everyone!!

03/04/2013 at 13:05

Not been on here for a while but noone else has either by the looks of things! Where has everyone gone?!?! Hope all going okay?

Big well done Sharky, I knew you had it in you  Looks like that run's given you the confidence boost you were needing, did you do that after your waxing as well, see you failed to mention that! Re your taper query I would stick to the schedule if you're feeling good and following one, (mines is a 15 then a 10LSR still with the intervals and tempos thrown in) but I wouldn't worry too much if you miss a long run at this stage. Also, don't make the mistake of putting your feet up, doing nothing and binge eating for two weeks (as I did a couple of years ago!) as it doesn't help

Well I got another 20 miles in on Saturday, then did intervals on Monday and true to form as my training seems to go, have a very sore calf! Got the old spiky ball on it and there is now a lovely bruise and its sore so taking it easy this week, will do a tempo on Friday if it has loosened and then my 15 mile taper LSR on Sunday, need to get another massage in as well. Having been running for 3 years, Saturday was actually the first time I ran with someone and without my iphone!!! I was apprehensive about it at first but has given me the confidence to run VLM without the tunes on, which I had never considered before but I'm sure my left arm will be all the more grateful for it!  

Can't believe its almost the big day, the last few weeks seem to have flown in, enjoy the last couple of weeks of training!

03/04/2013 at 14:03

Well done Sharky, the weather on dat day was aweful. I managed a 290 mile run but it will be remembered only as a painful and very tiring run, but glad it was done and out of the way.

I hope your calf is not too bad Miggito, maybe that massage will help to loosen it up enough for you to carry on with your training plan.

I went down to London on Sunday and ran 22 miles of the course with a running club based in East London. It was really good to run the course but with the roads busy asusual for London it was hard work having to keep stopping to cross the road. Great day though and good to get the longest run out of the way. I am tapering now, although so far this week it hasn't felt much like it.

Last long run this Sunday should be 18 but I won't loose any sleep if I just do 15 at thia stage I am ready and in pretty good shape, just the normal niggles which may go over the next couple of weeks.

I have treated myself to another massage a week tomorrow and I am sure boredom will be starting to set in by then

Good luck over the next two weeks everyone and don't forget to taper

03/04/2013 at 15:15
Hey. Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am running this with a mate. He's at blue start as a ballot entry and I am at red as a charity place. I know we converge at 3.5 miles, but can anyone recommend somewhere around the 4-5 mile mark to meet up. Don't say the pub.
Cheers
Ade
04/04/2013 at 00:47

Err...try and talk nicely to the organisers otherwise central reservation at 3.5 - 4.5 using mobile phones too work out who is where worked for me last year when same thing happened with my nephew. We succeeded, just.

04/04/2013 at 09:57

Congrats on the 100th parkrun Roger! I'm working towards 50, currently on 30. I won't be running this weekend. Going to Berlin where two friends are doing the half, I didn't fancy a race so close to London so am sitting it out. Getting excited for the expo now. Probably going Thursday morning. Only been to one before, the Paris half, and found it surprisingly fun! 

04/04/2013 at 15:46

Not posted in a while as been slightly depressed since my planned 18.5 mile run ended in disaster as got to the 12 mile point and started feeling a dull ache in the groin/pelvic area and carried on at  a reduced pace and tried to complete the run but only managed 17.1 and gave up. I managed to run it in 2:28:56 but felt like utter c**p

So ended up missing out on a few race pace runs but did managed to play 30 minutes of a friendly football game on Saturday there and thought I was ok but ended up being in pain later on in the night and then that stopped me running my planned 21 mile run the following day, or any other distance.

I did manage to use a treadmill on Monday but could only handle running 10k on it and then managed to run a further 5k last night, which is part of my plan.  Running home from work tonight to attempt a 5.6 mile run and it's meant to be at race pace, however, I don't think I will achieve this but will try at least an 8:30 pace.

So I'm now having to look at my target running time in 17 days time and my main goal now is to complete it, next is to get under 4 hours and finally would be totally happy with under 3:45 now rather than the planned 3:35.  But it will all depend on the day now and how I cope without doing too much running - maybe not a bad idea and start my tapering sooner than planned

Happy running guys and glad to see that most plans are going in the right direction. Miggito maybe we should run around together and keep each other going to the end and maybe surprise ourselves 

05/04/2013 at 12:04

Thanks georginagem - you will soon get to 50, it doesn't weem to take long.

I am aslo now looking forward to the Expo and will be there on Thursday afternoon as I have a massage in the morning!

I have only been to one Expo too and that was in Athens last year which was really good.

I would love to do the Berlin marathon one day too so good luck to your friends and have a relaxing weekend!

06/04/2013 at 19:19

This looks like my kind of thread.  Looking forward to my 1st London Marathon in a couple of weeks having done my 1st at Chester in October before having a go a Berlin in September.  Also love parkrun, did my 90th today at Burnage in Stockport, great to include as part of a training plan. 

How is everyone enjoying the strange but wonderful world of tapering ?

08/04/2013 at 13:14

Paul, sorry to hear you've been having a hard time of it, hope it manages to sort itself out and you can get back doing some running. It does get very frustrating when you miss your training and every little pain occupies your mind all day! You've done lots of good training though so hopefully that will carry you through. You might be back in the 335 mindset come the 21st April though so wait and see!?! I hope you are mate, my targets have changed on pretty much a weekly basis

I've actually decided that I'm going to go for the sub 330, the training since my last wee issue has gone fine so feeling a bit more confident. The only things concerning me are my stamina and the heat. I was away last week and was running in 15 degrees - big difference to what I'm used to at around 0 Deg C!!! Also, I wont be upset if I don't get my time, if I get in under 345 I will be just as happy (got to be realistic also!) so that is the main focus if I start to tail off at the end but I am going to run with the 330 pace group for as long as I can (ie. hopefully to the finish!!)

Hi Sir John, hope your training has went well! I actually don't really feel like I'm tapering yet, got 3 x 1600 intervals tomorrow, which I hate doing, then got 8 miles at almost MP on Thursday! Only 10 miles at the weekend though and then it's easy street! I must stop drinking alcohol at some point as well!?!  

09/04/2013 at 09:29

Welcome Sir John - I hope your training has gone to plan and you are ready for London. 

Miggito - looks like you have found your mojo again after your recent ilness and it looks like you have decided to go for your target time which I think sounds like a good idea. The forced rest you had may well have done you a lot o good.

Paul - I hope you get sorted and back up to pace as soon as possible, good luck!

My tapering has well and truly begun. I done my last long run on Sunday (16 miles) which should have been 18 but I had such a good week last week I decided to start the taper early. I have also been suffering from a glute problem which just will not go away. Still massage on Thursday should sort the job out - I hope!

12 x 400m tonight at the track and 6 miles tomorrow at 7:30 min/mi, then a steady 5 miles on Thursday befor a rest Friday, parkrun (Huntingdons first) Saturday and Cambourne 10k on Sunday. Next week will just be a few short jogs to keep my legs moving and hopefully repair my glute properly.

11 days to go!!!

10/04/2013 at 12:56

I've done 1x20m 1x16m 1x15m 2x13m in my run up to VLM (my first one).

The problem is my 20 (Thanet 20) was 5 weeks ago and I had to slow down a bit because of a dodgy knee.  Touchwood that seems all OK now and I'm just sticking to a few 7-10 miles and some speed work.

Mentally knowing I've done those 20 miles (done in 2hrs 50mins) is a big boost for me although I have slight nerves about how long ago it was. What do people think?

10/04/2013 at 13:20

Hi Glenn, nerves are natural, not sure what your training plan says or what time you're going for but that's a decent time in which to run 20 miles! The last 6 will hurt anyway if that makes you feel any better but all the trainings in the bag and it may be that you need to slow down in VLM also. Regardless, you will get a massive boost from the atmosphere around you. Go out with what you feel comfortable with and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Roger, glutes are a pain in the ass  Hope you get it sorted, I also have a long standing issue with them and consistenly have to do crabs, squats etc etc to fire / strengthen them  I have found my mojo again but since Monday, my left glute is playing up, my sesamoids are burning and I now have a bugger of a sore throat! I'm putting it down to the last few weeks of intense training catching up with me so skipped my intervals yesterday and will probably skip my tempo run tomorrow  It's all fun and games but bring it on, I'm as ready as I'll ever be!  

Looks like it's going to be a nice warm sunny day into the bargain!!!

PS - Paul, where are you? Hope all is well!

141 to 160 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.