VLM 2013

I have three places left for charity

1 to 20 of 27 messages
30/01/2013 at 20:08

Evening all, I have three places left for the London Marathon 2013. In all four runners and trying to achieve £4k. 1st runner should raise £2k so that leaves £700 per person for the remaining three. Deadline is 8th February to enrol. Any experienced runners out there that missed out and perhaps live in Southwark and want to help the poor and needy of the borough, this could be for you. Live in Greenwich and happy to help with training runs. Regards

kittenkat    pirate
31/01/2013 at 06:52

Raise £4k for what?

31/01/2013 at 07:02
Prep School wrote (see)

Evening all, I have three places left for the London Marathon 2013. In all four runners and trying to achieve £4k. 1st runner should raise £2k so that leaves £700 per person for the remaining three. Deadline is 8th February to enrol. Any experienced runners out there that missed out and perhaps live in Southwark and want to help the poor and needy of the borough, this could be for you. Live in Greenwich and happy to help with training runs. Regards

You have how many places left??

31/01/2013 at 08:12

Morning, The charity is the Mayor of Southwarks Common Good Trust charity registration number 280011. I have three places left. I have run it the last few years but have double booked myself so rules me out. A friend is already under way and I am looking for three more runners, preferably with links to Southwark to make it more personal. I am a co-opted trustee and assit on the London Marathon, golf day and St. Georges lunch. If you know anyone, please flag this up as this is the first time we have had four places and I don't want to lose the initiaitive for the future. 1 week to go to register. Regards

seren nos    pirate
31/01/2013 at 08:20

I would recommend next year you advertise locally well before Christmas.most people who run regularly would have already planned their spring races........seems like leaving this so late you have missed out on maximising the potential and therefore the charity has missed out ......

sounds like bad planning to have three quarters of your places left with only 10 or so weeks left.no enough time to train or fundraise properly.......

Poeple have been trying for a place since last April......

31/01/2013 at 08:22

Charity background: Raises money in the Mayor of Southwark's name to help the poor and needy of the community of the borough. Most assistance is flagged up by social services and the elderly support teams. Provides basic items that most of us would take for granted but are beyond the fiscal means of the applicants. We usually get two places per year for the London Marathon. This year we got four. And knowing how oversubscribed the London Marathon is I thought I would find three runners easliy. With one week to go this is not looking likely. HELP

31/01/2013 at 08:27

Thanks Seren nos. Appreciate your comments. We got the places late, that is how it works with the local authority and VLM. Their allocation is outside the ballot. And we applied for four due to interest since withdrawn. However the fund raising can go on via justgiving to June. An experienced runner would be able to cover this. I know as I could do it if I wasn't up north.

31/01/2013 at 08:38
Prep School wrote (see)

. An experienced runner would be able to cover this. I know as I could do it if I wasn't up north.

Ah  Oop Norf... I'll sell me whippet and sponsor you, Will you take payment in flat caps ?

31/01/2013 at 08:46

HI Dave, Bike rally at Skegness. Didn't realise it clashed with the marathon when the lads booked it last year. Know anyone who would be interested? Be a shame to let the places go, hence appealing through these forums of which I have great respect and have made a few friends.

31/01/2013 at 08:51

Might be difficult at short notice, but not impossible??.....pm sent.

31/01/2013 at 08:54

Thanks Liam. That's the spirit and my sentiments entirely.

31/01/2013 at 10:42
I would do this if I weren't in already, I agree a reasonably fit runner could get up to the standard required to complete, you seem quite relaxed about the amount, time for all the moaners to get stuck in. good luck!
31/01/2013 at 11:04

Thanks Mr Puffy. If the Skegness gig gets cancelled, I'll pull on my trainers too

seren nos    pirate
31/01/2013 at 11:24

Fair point .........seems silly for the organisation to tell you so late that you have the places but then that isn't your fault..........Hope it goes well for the charity and you manage to get someone to take the places...

31/01/2013 at 11:35

Thanks Seren, response is good and may have two already. Should have come to this forum earlier. The running community is one of the best out there.

31/01/2013 at 12:33
The VLM is universally loved and admired on here
31/01/2013 at 12:44

Looks like I have two places filled already, with one to go. And there was me worrying. This forum is awesome 

31/01/2013 at 13:07

You should do it, David! Then we can all meet up at the burger van after.

31/01/2013 at 13:11

If David does do it, I will have to sit at home feeling jealous

31/01/2013 at 13:16

yeah but you might get to see him on telly.

1 to 20 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.