Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

201 to 220 of 581 messages
02/10/2012 at 22:43

Oh. I got into London again. I don't want to do London, I want to do the Goofy

02/10/2012 at 22:54
I'm doing both

.......So your point is caller????

Defer London if you really have to if for no other reason it will let the organiers know what rejection feels like lol
03/10/2012 at 09:00

C33 - family logistics may mean Paris rather than Rome - have you done Paris and, if so, what's the verdict?

03/10/2012 at 14:05

LOL C33 !

03/10/2012 at 22:58

Okay, okay, I want to do London. AND I want to do the Goofy. Although when I last went to Disneyland in the US, Goofy stood on my friend's foot.

03/10/2012 at 23:47

I've never done Paris Goofy. Now if it was around Eurodisney..........lol

From what I have heard great course, loads of runners, crap crowds, terrible finish up some side street near the Eiffel tower.  Its never been one that has jumped off the page as a must run event and Paris never really strikes me as a very single blokey holiday destination.......but then again neither in Disneyworld or Rome

I have done Rotterdam which was my 1st foreign marathon in the race that never was.  If you are looking for some springtime sunshine I'd go there.  It was 37 feckin degrees by the time the organisers ran out of ambulances and stopped the race with me having 2k to go and we were all told to stop and walk in.  I know Rotterdam is maybe not the nicest place on the planet although it was better than I was expecting it is a great weekend.  The whole city catches marathon fever, throws all the museums open for free, doesn't ramp the hotel prices up really gets behind the race and makes the visitors to the city really welcome.  If the family commitments mean what week can I sneak off without the family it is well worth a look.  I had a couple of days in Rotterdam and a couple in Amsterdam (I actually preferred Rotterdam it didn't seem quite as sleazy drugs and hookers isn't really my thing) and had a great wee trip.  A marathon, a bit of culture, lots of sightseeing, heineken brewery and a couple of footie games including the dutch cup semi-final at the amsterdam arena. It doesn't get much better than that

I also did Dusseldorf last year which probably seems an unusual one but it was the only one that appealed at the time I could have a holiday.  Not as big a race as Rotterdam but a really fast course if it is not hot.;  Unfortunately it was later in the year than usual due to the eurovision song contest rather bizarrely.  I know Rotterdam has a reputation for being fast but you can get really bogged down in the crowds unless you are Kenyan and starting at the front.  If you are chasing a time Dusseldorf is well worth a look.

I always fancied Hamburg and Vienna too but not ever got round to either yet.

I'll see you on the start line in London and Orlando Nykie

04/10/2012 at 09:15

C33 - The family commitments mean when can I take the kids without taking them out of school - they would never forgive me if I went away without them - they like the holidays too much!!! (You are so right to do the marathons before family commitments restrict freedom a little!) Rome would be a bit of a rush but Paris is during the Easter period. I will have to look at the dates of the ones you suggested - many thanks for the info. 

09/10/2012 at 08:41

C33 - Hope everything goes well in Munich.

09/10/2012 at 21:32
Thank you goofy. Nervously excited in a paranoid midtaper panicy type of way. I'm off on friday morning and have a tour of the olympic stadium booked on sat to whet my appetite/spook me completely. I can hardly wait.....I think
10/10/2012 at 07:55

Good Luck C33.  

Hope everyone elses training is going well only 13 weeks before we fly out 

10/10/2012 at 08:02

Good luck C33.

You lot me me so jealous I have only been back 3 weeks and I need to go again!!

12/10/2012 at 09:28

Does anyone know the theme of the Disney 5K yet? Need to get the costumes sorted. Anyone running the half in fancy dress?

12/10/2012 at 09:40
Thanks for the good luck messages. Got to the airport in one piece. Hell its wet out there. Not sure watching the plane crash documentary on channel 4 last night was the best preparation for my trip lol.

Goofy I believe the 5k has an old disney characters theme. The medal is just all the well known characters and is highlighting the 20 years of disney. Don't hold me on that though I might be talking crap!!!!

In answer to your final question. No.....no........ not a chance........ NO!!!!!!! I hated fancy dress, being forced to dress up for school concerts, halloween etc even as a kid!!!!!
12/10/2012 at 09:41
See you all soooooooooooooooon.

Auf wiedersehen
12/10/2012 at 13:44

I broached the subject with my hubby yesterday - he is in C33s camp, so no fancy dress for us either

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 13:45
12/10/2012 at 23:32

Meant to put this on here as you lot will find it fun - the things we do at WDW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiWTDJrDAw&feature=youtu.be

13/10/2012 at 09:01

BP - Excellent!!!  What a fantastic family memory!

13/10/2012 at 09:29

Yep - early morning in Hollywood - went to back lot tour and stood in que with only 20 other people initially. Cast member shouted something out I didn't hear and waved so I waved back - what she actually said was 'anybody want to help out'. Next thing I knew we were told to go to front and 2 of us were going to take part - well my son (as you can see from video) is not shy coming forward and he said yeah me and dad will do it - and as they say the rest is history.

14/10/2012 at 18:13
Bollox that didn't go well. Don't know why felt really nervous today and all went downhill from the start onwards. Was doing OK till half way then damage limitation from there to the finish. The only positives I can take are that that's another one ticked off the list and my bad races aren't nearly as horrific as they were for the last 2 or 3 years though. Pretty gutted with it all to be honest. Maybe this one just meant a bit too much
14/10/2012 at 18:38
Don't take it to heart as you say another one ticked of list. Look for the positives.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.