Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

221 to 240 of 581 messages
14/10/2012 at 19:50

The positive being that, because this one didn't go to plan, you're going to storm Disney!

14/10/2012 at 19:58
Spot on Goofy Groupie
19/10/2012 at 10:24

New course video!!! New course video!!! (With Bart Yasso.)

19/10/2012 at 12:42

Im getting curious this mile 20 extravaganza.. Not going to get my hopes up as its likely to be a massive disapointment.  I shall set my expectation low then anything will be a bonus.

19/10/2012 at 12:57

Well, Mickey keeps saying 'ton' of surprises - so I can't help but think this has something to do with it. Have heard also that all the Disney characters will be in the stands, even the rare ones. But, like you say, if we don't raise our hopes then we may be pleasantly surprised!

20/10/2012 at 15:50

Hi folks I'm home.

Is it just me or does the last mile look like the longest one in history.  I seem to remeber the international showcase taking about half a day to get round on foot when I went to epcot but only seems to make up about 1/2 mile on the race course video.

Did anybody read runners world's disney marathon report type thing in this or last month's mag.  There were disney characters digging a grave after about 20 miles.  God knows what the 20 mile extravaganza might be if they are carrying on that sort of theme.  Was the wickerman a disney production lol.

20/10/2012 at 16:09

Munich is a fab place by the way.  Go if you haven't been.  If any of you have been to Berlin and loved it you wouldn't be disappointed with Munich.  Race maybe not the biggest in the world but the finish is spectacular and the sightseeing is as good as you could find anywhere.  I was there 7 days and hardly even scratched the surface of the things there are to see and do there.  Well worth the trip.

20/10/2012 at 19:47

Just read the Disney review in Runners World - think they got it more or less right. Although, they say it is for people who don't take their running too seriously - but it is also a great race to do if you are a fantastic runner too because you'd be well up in the top positions! Top 0.7% for anyone???

20/10/2012 at 20:00
I think I will aim for the next 14% sub 3h is quite a bit beyond me and I will have an extra 13 miles in my legs!!!!! My 3:25 only just sneeked me into the 1st 20% home last sunday. Germans are bloody good runners!!!!!
21/10/2012 at 08:48

It must be a fantastic feeling to run a marathon in 3:25.........ah, well, I can dream......

21/10/2012 at 09:52

Cag

The grave diggers are on the Floriadain Highway not far after the mile 18 marker I saw them last year and gave serious thought to posing for a photgraph, but then realised I would have to get up afterwards !

Mile 18 to 22 is the worse for me there is arise in the road the sun is up and there is very little shade plus at mile 21 you have runners who are about half a mile a head of you running alongside, it can either inspire or kill your aspirations. A local running club did have beer stop about mile 20 which was a nice distraction but they haven't dont it for the last couple of years 

Anyway hoping  for sub 5 this year but will depend on how sore my ankle is after running the days before 

21/10/2012 at 13:00

I was the same slowfooot.  It would have made a cool photo op but if I'd laid on the floor that would have been it for me so we just kept going. 

With the new course, while us plodders are at mile 16 we will be treated to the sight of the faster runners heading past mile 21.  That will be interesting 

21/10/2012 at 17:07

MM

If I get the chance I will throw something at them ! Flight booked 8th to the 17th for me

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 17:08
21/10/2012 at 17:18
Just looked at the new course and so jealous of all you lot doing the runs. I am now seriously thinking of booking our first DVC holiday ( just bought into Animal Kindom Villas) for the 2014 races. My 22 year old daughter wants to do half and for me to do Goofy - trying to persuade her to train up for Marathon as course for half looks a little less interesting. Will see in February how much we can get flights for and make decsion
22/10/2012 at 08:30

BP - the best thing about the half for me has always been running up Main Street seeing the castle ahead in the dark with all the lights, etc. Quite spectacular. In the past it has been light when you get to Main Street in the marathon - but this year it will be in the dark so hopefully the course will remain the same for you in 2014.

22/10/2012 at 08:33

Imagining that now!!!

22/10/2012 at 20:50

Im 50/50 on the new course.  Last year it was easy to split into sections mentally - leaving Magic Kingdom was about half way.  Animal Kingdom.. Getting there.  Holywood Studios. Cmon dont die now.  Epcot... Cant believe Ive made it !  

Next year I will need a new strategy 

22/10/2012 at 22:31
I have to say I saw the course and thought it seemed to spend an awful lot of time in the sports world complex compared to the amount of time they are in the parks. I'm sure it will be fine when I'm there I am quite well known for missing anything of any tourist note due to pain reducing the function of my eyes other than to look down at my feet in a fit of misery!!!!!

As a matter of interest they always say the races start in darkness but what time does the sun start to come up in florida in january. In scotland its about 8 o'clock with us being a lot further north than you southern types south of the border. If its a 5:30 start and the sun only comes up at 7ish I could almost run the whole half in darkness. Think that would be a major result as I'm not good in the sun!!!

Well I did try to go for a run tonight for the 1st time since munich tonight. Its fair to say my bounciness hasn't come back yet. 4 miles felt more like 40
23/10/2012 at 08:21

Cag

Sunrise about 7.30 in January So sadly the Castle will be in darkness for both runs. Depending on your corral you can start anytime between 05.30 and 6.15 but each start gets fireworks and the characters to high five. Hint if you want to high them all at the start take the right hand side of the road plus the photographs are  better 

The Disney land half runs through Anahiem baseball stadium so if the 20 mile runs through the baseball stadium you can expect hundreds of spectators and a DJ who calls out your name as you run past with your  picture appearing on the big screen 

23/10/2012 at 23:32

Cheers slowfoot,

May have an extended holiday in America and not bother coming home.  Doesn't look like being much work about when I get back from my hols in january as my regular 3 days a week in one place has just vanished.  Really worried I might have to try and get a real job at this rate

Do you think they need anyone to wear a disney costume full-time???

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.