Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

501 to 520 of 581 messages
24/01/2013 at 18:27

OMG Slowfoot, that sounds a bit harsh!!! It was baking hot.

I never realised there was a 10 1/2 hour time limit. I thought that as long as they completed each race without getting booted for being too slow, they would be ok, lol!

In that case there may have been only 8238 Goofy's

24/01/2013 at 21:09
Wow never worked out who was fastest. I was only 45 minutes behind the winner. How can that be right he he he

Gazza that is good to hear that tokyo is THAT good. Just out of interest how have you managed to enter it and book your own hotel. I was under the impression it was so rediculously oversubscribed that you had to book through a tour firm. Sports tours was extortionate and the cheapest option I could find was to book through an aussie tour firm for half the price and pretend I live with my big sister in sydney. Devious I know but I need to look after the yen as I've heard that japan is a bit pricey when you get there!!!
Edited: 24/01/2013 at 21:11
24/01/2013 at 21:31

Yeah you did good C33

I got you at 4:51:32, 202 HM, 227 FM and 56th Goofy (4th Goofy Brit - well done - fastest Goofy Brit was 4:36, so only 15 mins off fastest Brit!)

JPenno    pirate
24/01/2013 at 23:37
Duffs wrote (see)

Hey JPenno - back in the UK and missing the sunshine - I have the vinylmation figure - I am currently in Kilmarnock (freezing)  visiting Ma and Pa Duffs and will be driving back to Wrexham on Saturday then back to work in Bootle on Monday - if I am passing by where you are or (I see the liverpool badge) if you are in Liverpool I could drop it by on Monday afternoon/evening - let me know which or if you want it posted. . .

Duffs

Duffs - I will be in work all day monday - unfortunately thats in mancland!! and I live in sunny Widnes so not really on a Wrexham to bootle route, If you pm me your address and how much it is I will sort out the funds or you and postage costs

25/01/2013 at 08:03

C33

Having spent some time in Japan isn't pricey its fu**ing pricey I remeber paying just on a tenner for 2 slices of melon.

Cant say i enjoyed my time there just a bit too strange for my liking 

25/01/2013 at 09:36

Caniggia33 - I've never used sports tour operators. I find they're usually expensive and can tie you into activities and excursions you may not necessarily want to go on. I have always taken my chances going directly through their ballot process. They have around 300,000 applicants and only 30,000 places, but I was told by the organisers in 2010 that they essentially fast-track a lot of overseas applicants to bring tourist money into Tokyo. While residents of Tokyo have a 10% chance of success, its more like 80% for foreigners (I've got in 4 times out of 4!). There are always hotel deals to be had in Tokyo (I use sites like Agoda, Asiarooms, etc) so that is never really a problem. Like most big cities, if you fall into the tourist trap, it can become an expensive place. With the current strong yen, alcohol is quite expensive but its actually not hard to find reasonably cheap restaurants if you avoid the tourist hot-spots and wander slightly off the beaten track. Transport is also exceptionally cheap. A tube ticket that would cost you £3-4 in London costs £1 in Tokyo (and it runs on time!).

25/01/2013 at 12:22
With respect to people running the full and not he half - Although stupid, I can see how people might do that just for the additional medal. There was no verification that you completed the half. As you finished the full, they simply gave you the Goofy medal if you had the Goofy Challenge number on. They should mark your number when you complete the half.
25/01/2013 at 12:32

if people were just after the medals they could pop along to Downtown Disney on the Monday and buy a marathon presentation case with the medal in it.  That also feels wrong to me -  so does having your finishing photot  doctored to show a quicker time !   I guess some people will always just want the glory without the pain

25/01/2013 at 15:16

Yes Dannirr a bit stupid, I suppose some may have had injury worries and didn't want to risk both races?? Like you say I would have thought they would have marked your number after the half or scanned your number after the marathon to check that you'd done both and earned that Goofy medal. Something for RunDisney to look into for the future I guess.

MM, I saw those presentation cases myself, I'm sure I looked at them in the expo, so you could have bought them before the races even started if you wished, lol!

I wouldn't have the unearned medal myself, I won't even wear the t-shirts before I've earned them, I wore a marathon 2012 shirt on HM morning and my half 2013 shirt on marathon morning As for doctoring the times on the photo?? what's that all about? some folk are strange!

25/01/2013 at 15:38
JPAtko - I agree. When I withdrew from the Marine Corp Marathon they sent me the shirt - I cannot wear it as it is not earned, so I gave it away with some other clothes to a charity place.

If doctoring the photo only means they put in your actual chip time, instead of clock time, I'm ok with that.
25/01/2013 at 17:29

Alas No Dannirr - they were offering to put in any time you wanted

25/01/2013 at 17:35
MM - thats absurd. But people do strange stuff. Shortcuts etc. In the end, they cheat themselves. I'm not a medal showoff kinda person, but I do know I earned each one honestly. Thats plenty good enough for me, and I'm sure all of us here
25/01/2013 at 22:08

Can't think of anybody in America that would lie about their marathon time........except for the bloke standing as vice president.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/paul-ryan-marathon-time_n_1848715.html

I have to admit to wearing a t-shirt I never earned properly.  Last year I did a bit of race crew work for a couple of friends doing an ultra marathon.  As I had hours of spare time to kill I helped out at a couple of checkpoints giving out bags, filling drink bottles and general wombling duties while I waited for my pair to arrive.  When I got to the finish I was rewarded for my endevours and doing the full course distance in a little red corsa with the same finishers t-shirt as the folk that ran the race much to the disgust of my pair who had just gone 40 odd miles on foot.  Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat and that running or driving ultras gives the same final rewards lol

Gazza thanks again for the info.  I thought when I read the blurb about the entries to the race and the ballot that it would be like new york where your chances of getting in are slim if you apply in america and next to non-existant if you apply from overseas.  I think it is certainly worth holding on until after the ballot before I look at the tour options and dust off the cork hat and inflatable kangaroo to pretend I'm an aussie!!!!   I've heard that Japan can be a bit pricey but it can't be any worse than Australia where I went the year before last to see big sis.  (A) my sis is expensive anyway and (B) everything was a rediculous price.  The one benefit of travelling on my own is that tables for one in poncy restaurants and heavy drinking sessions/nightclubbing on my jack jones are never high on the agenda.  Once you take copious amounts of booze out of equation the amount of money you need for the spending money kitty goes down pretty quickly.

slowfoot what were you wasting a tenner on melon for?  Could you not find any cakes or chocolate.  Not much danger of a scotsman spending that on fruit in a year never mind a single sitting.

Thanks JPatko for doing my maths better for me.  I think I must have been going square eyed looking at 180 pages of results and missed a few folk although I think I removed a couple of folk myself from my count as they were so ludicously fast I thought they must have cheated or been on hand bikes (or both!!!!)

25/01/2013 at 22:40

I think driving an ultra is the way forward C33 Not sure about getting the same shirt though - shocking, lol, .......I helped out at ironman uk and we all got tees, but they were different to the competitors, so i can wear with pride (except the fact it's the brightest of bright greens!!!)

You're welcome fer the maths Michael, it did take me ages to do it, cross referencing numbers from each race, theraputic I think they call it (or a sign of going mad?) .....I didn't include any of the wheelchairs or handbikes (sorry if you were 1 of those) but I think 45mins for a HM is a bit of a silly speed to be going and fastest marathon hand-bike was 1:35!! wow... well done, but not in my charts

25/01/2013 at 23:50

Well, with respect to driving an ultra....

In November last year I raced an utra runner from London to Brighton.  He left Hyde Park at 1 am, I left at 7.30 am.  He was on foot, I wasn't - I was driving a 1902 Delahaye single-cylinder motor car. Yes, the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.  It's a 60 mile course - and I only caught him 1 mile from the finish!   Remarkable running from Duncan - you might have seen it on the news or in the papers.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20197268

Duncan is the only person in the history of the event - which has been going since 1896 - to receive a finisher's medal without driving a car!

21/03/2013 at 17:23

THERE IS AN OFFICIAL DOPEY CHALLENGE FOR 2014!!! 10K, HALF AND FULL!!!

After saying I wouldn't be doing Goofy again in 2014 - I HAVE TO DO THE FIRST DOPEY!!!

21/03/2013 at 17:42
More info needed......

Do you get a dopey and a goofy medal or just a dopey. Are there 5 bits of proper bling on offer. This is just cruel. I had ticked goofy off my list before dopey got in on the act.
21/03/2013 at 18:43

5K on Thursday, 10K on Friday, half on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday.

6 medals on offer - 5K, 10K, half, full, Goofy and Dopey apparently!

21/03/2013 at 20:23
Any news on who will be running this 10k. I've just asked my minnie who came home with me after the goofy challenge about it and she knows nothing about it. She just keeps flapping her mits about in a theatrical manner.

This is upsetting our plans we were thinking going to tokyo, running there and meeting up with minnie's friends and family when we were there but she might be expected back in florida at the same time. Life never runs smoothly!!!
21/03/2013 at 20:47

I've missed your posts on here since January - they always made/make me smile.

501 to 520 of 581 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.