Just read the latest news on the Watford Harriers website - http://www.watfordharriers.org.uk/WHindexF.htm and a final decision is going to be made at 8am on Sunday morning as to whether the race will go ahead or not. Fingers crossed the snow stays away!!
I'm looking forward to running alongside the pacers as I'm aiming for a 1.30 finish, but having read all about the hills, I'm not quite so sure now
Good luck everyone!!
Good luck runners.
As far as I can remember from the hills, they are all within the first half of the race at least. A tough climb up Grove Mill Lane at around 5K mark, then somewhere between the 4-5 mile marker there is a sharp descent followed by a sharp climb - think that's on Old House Lane. Oh, and then there's Cassiobury Park Ave at around 12 miles - forgot that 1 It is a nice course though, country lanes and scenic.
As holymoly mentioned - all the main hills are in first half - and I think there's 3 or 4 which really take it out of you. Good run though - this will be my 6th outting I think.
What are the thoughts on weather - am guessing if much snow on Saturday and then a freeze it's very much in doubt
Suprised if it goes ahead now - seems quite sure that there will be snow and no thaw after. Not looking hopeful...
I was hoping a new PB as well Merlie, oh well, I'll just have to wait for the Milton Keynes Half Marathon next month. Should be more achievable as it's mostly flat!!
According to the Watford Harriers website, money gets donated to charity.......
The organisers reserve the right to cancel the race if adverse weather should make conditions too dangerous for competitors. In this event, NO REFUNDS will be given and the prize list will be donated to a suitable charity.
I'm OK with the organisers donating the money to charity, as that was part of the agreement up front - and I think it was very awkward for various organisers who had races cancelled last year. There was the Crowborugh 10 and the Les Witton Dartford 10 who both lost that year's money.
I do wish, though, that the organisers could make the decision the night before, as some people - like me - are coming from a distance.I suppose they are leaving it to the last minute to give themselves as much chance as possible of getting it right.
I remember the Marseille-Cassis half marathon from a couple of year's back. The weather leading up to the run had been awful with constant heavy rain. That organiser also left it to the last minute - deciding on the morning itself to carry on. He based his decision on the fact that his house wasn't flooded! I'm not sure where his house was, but the final two miles were run through water up to our shins. Great fun!
Visit the official Runner's World page
Follow Runner's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
Run For Charity
About Runner's World
Runner's World is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP. Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved.
Website powered by: Immediate Media Company Limited. | © Runner's World 2002-2013 |